The battery builders club

It would cry when packs 5 and 6 ‘die’ but the main power would be down anyways so it shouldn’t make a difference

1 Like

Depends on the model…some can but not all

2 Likes

As far as I know from people who adjusted the voltage on there charger via poti, the charger broke each time after some weeks. Not sure if that’s the case with all charger, but better to have one in spare if you play around with the charger settings.
If you don’t need it to be super portable, an adjustable lab power supply is the best you can get. You can get good 60V lab power supplies from 80$ ish

3 Likes

Okay, that doesn’t sound good- too complicated trying to figure it out.

I am just going to run bundled 1x 8AWG and 1x 10AWG wires, to the front of the board and back.

I’d do 2X 8AWG but I don’t have enough wire, and I think an 8AWG + 10AWG should be enough to minimize voltage drop. The additional capacitor bank should help with any current spikes from inductive currents that bundling the wires tightly together doesn’t take care of due to the extra 4ft of battery wire or so.

Just test fitting still need to shrink wrap and do a lot more work on everything.

7 Likes

Mine is still good. 10s 4a charger alu enclosure, dialed back to about 40.6v (I live on a hill)

I don’t think this is the case at all. The pots are “trim” pots, probably just to dial in for whatever variations there are in component values.

I did this with a charge only bms. I was very surprised when I connected the pack with the loop key removed, to see the focboxes booting up. I think the BMS completed the circuit somehow via the balance leads. I moved the loopkey to the end of the pack.

4 Likes

Just finished this here. Inspiration from @eBoosted and @thisguyhere. Still need to shrink and hookup charge port. Along with taming the balance lines. Fish paper wrapped packs and also down the middle as well as the perimeter. Have I missed anything?

24 Likes

That look’s clean and pro! Congrats man love it!

3 Likes

Looks like a fantastic pack!!!
Great job!

3 Likes

So I am going to be building my first pack, a double stacked 10s2p using 25R cells that will be inside the eboosted enclosure.

I was thinking about using these cell holders and H-shaped nickel to build something like this:

I was then going to spot weld small strips that goes on top of the pack to solder the balance wires onto.

What do you guys think of it so far?

4 Likes

Anyone have any tips on how to make the series connection? I am going to replicate this pack that is two 5s4p, but I will instead make two 5s2p and hook them up in series. I was thinking about folding these nickel strips over the packs and then solder a 12 AWG wire between them to make a series connection. Is this an appropriate way of doing it or do you guys have any other suggestions?

I ofcourse know that I cannot wire it exactly as pictured as a series connection is positive to negative.

5 Likes

that’s exactly right. that red line will connect the two banks of 5s4p into 10s4p.

the photo is a battery i made for someone on esk8.builders.

these two 5s4p banks were supposed to be mirrored but messed up. but doesn’t matter, the series connection still works.

1 Like

So the series connection would work even if I connect it exactly like shown in the pic? Negative to negative. Also, does it have to be connected in both ends or just one end? If I am not mistaken it should only be in one end, but for some reason I became unsure.

1 Like

This is unlike the other battery packs on this thread, a battery nonetheless.

38 Likes

Just check the height your pack will be with those cell holders. They tend to make the pack pretty big

3 Likes

LMAO, I thought the writing on the box below was you talking about the battery. Was confused as hell and thinking WTF is this guy talking about :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

no, that’s a parallel. opposite polarity is series connection.

not sure i understand the rest of the question.

1 Like

I added nickel across both sides and finished up the packs. Look better?

3 Likes

I’ve built a few batteries its tedious but rewarding in the end.

Next batter build will be a single stack 12s4p for my Charlie horse build. I do have an extra 4 cells I am tempted to go 13s4p but then I have @b264 pop in my head telling me it’s a dumb idea Haha

Biggest battery I’ve made is a 12s8p for my evo

17 Likes

Hello fellow e-shredders,

I’m Ashby, I’ve been eyeing the forms here and over at the old website for awhile now but finally made an account. Deciding to pop my posting cherry here as I’m eagerly awaiting @Zach’s battery builder guide. I wanted to go ahead and get some parts on order to replace the limp dick battery Evolve sells with the Bamboo GT but had a few questions in the mean time about ordering parts. I plan to build a 10S4P pack using 30Q cells and already printed a spacer plate to make room for the larger cells and BMS.

Ordering Cells: I don’t really have a way to confirm fake 30Q cells as I only have a basic multimeter so wanted to roll the dice with a reputable reseller. My research has landed me on Nkon? Are these guys still legit? 40 cells for $146.70 shipped to the usa but looks like it will take 4 weeks. Nkon seems to have several sites is ru.nkon.nl the best to use for USA shipped orders? BatteryBro was the second option but I have to buy a minimum of 50 cells $186.50 +shipping. Can anyone here confirm if these guys are legit? I only need 40 cells, is it a good idea to order a few extra for some reason or another?

Best place for other supply’s such as Kapton, fishpaper, nickel braid, exc? I found most on amazon but wasn’t sure if there was a cheaper site since I have to wait 4 weeks anyways for the cells to show up?

In regards to required AWG wire size for a 10S4P 30Q pack any recommendations? I’ve read to use PTFE wire vs PVC but nothing on actual size. Simi related when connecting each P group together for a super flex bamboo desk what’s the best connection method wire or nickel braid and at what AWG? Most photos I’ve seen use a much lower AWG size than the balance leads.

Thanks for the advice as I continue my research.

-Crashby

4 Likes

ru.nkon.nl is the same side as nkon.nl just for international orders and without tax. They still legit. If it is in stock they as well a good source for nickel and fishpaper. I think @b264 has a good source for fishpaper in US as well. For a 10S4P you good with 10-12awg wires as main leads. If you buy a bms from bestech they come with the right jst plug and already wires connected to the plug. If your pack is not too long this can be already enough. If you need extra wires 20-22awg is a good size for balance wires.

Edit: order like 4 more cells as well. There can be always a bad cell under the ones you ordered and waiting again 4 weeks than sucks. Try to get some old cells from a laptop or power bar as well to try your welding techniques.

7 Likes