The "Ankle Wreacher" Stooge v5 SN28 Build - a journey with pictures (ESK8CON Prep edition)

Redetecting using these settings solved my issues:

Yeahhhh do it, both are super fun. Trace is such a tight track but has definitely showed me the limitations of my board for short track.

Ok maybe I bump up the front as well and just learn to deal with it lol. At most though I’ll only be able to bump it up another 15A per side though.

Damn sounds like I need to really practice more lol.

Hell yeah! Can’t wait to meet and race everyone. Ugh it’s going to be nerve racking lol.

5 Likes

Huh. Most people affiliated with Stooge riding earnestly do some absolutely fucking crazy shit to pavement/asphalt/whatever else & make boards and wheels make noises you probably didn’t realize could be made.

Questioning their ability to properly stress test equipment to the end of life is like. I dunno man, one thing I really just don’t see the point in doing. Anybody who watches them in person is just going to think you’re wrong and a hater after one session.

I also have never particularly found anybody immediately associated with them to be somebody I’d lump in with “clout chasing” except for maybe the red beard dude, no idea if he’s even still around the scene anymore. They are all more than humble & helpful to anybody irl at skate meetups. Kinda made me forget some people in building hobbies can be really, really fucking shitty snide people tbh.

Hoyt has done cool things but I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. Unless stooge peeps have become really shitty out of nowhere in the past year or so (I was wondering about exactly what went down with jason), there’s just no point.

Actually how do you even clout chase in a hobby where you have to wear a full suit of safety gear for a skateboard lol. I think the average onlooker thinks we’re like cognitively challenged children that would have to wear a helmet to get on the short bus.

7 Likes

Dude it’s going to be so sick, hoping I can get good practice in before then, its a struggle with these icey roads. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Also sucks when your power grid turns into a light show… Lol.

I’m sad that I’m missing out this year, but I wasn’t very confident on the track last year. I have a feeling it’s gonna get too crowded during the races.

1 Like

You alright? Mentioning this “scene is trash” and “clout chasing” is pretty funny. Unless you’re joking about all that. No one is a celebrity and no one is living off of fame and fortune. I’m also a downhiller and part of that scene too. Both are small communities. If anything, transition and street skating have actually made it.

Lol a cult. Is Advanced Riders Division not another race team? The best equipment wins because it’s the best equipment. People who want to win are going to choose what wins. Both of those sound redundant.

The guys running the races are running it because no one else can. Many racers are stepping up to help out, out of necessity. I wish there was a dream team setting up and organizing all the races and events, that’s what the scene has been needing for a while, look at Europe and scooter racing. I appreciate everyone who has helped set up and run races. It’s a team effort and community effort. If anyone has interest or wants to volunteer, trust me, event organizers will take you in. You yourself helped set up PDX Carve’s last race with the help of Moe. It was a push start. Many races have been push starts, probably half.

Racing is a great way to compete against each other and I see many differences can be solved by putting energy on that front vs. just talking about it. It’s cool to see @tuckjohn put together something super powerful and different on a V5. Tucker is a cool dude and he even rips around on his Tynee, you can ask him how much he loves that thing too. Anyway, I look forward to how the scene will grow. I appreciate the efforts by event organizers to get races going. I hope to see new and better racing products and boards in the future. Let’s see what 2024 is all about!

12 Likes

Speaking of, I corded my tynee’s bkb tires earlier this week ripping around the track with other non-stooge riders.
They’re the only more durable tires then BRPs that I’ve ridden(but I still tear through a set in under 350 miles)

8 Likes

Hard to compare durability on 2 different boards though… unless you ran them on the v5?

I can ruin meepo 165’s in 2 t-race sessions, brps definitely seem more durable than those.

1 Like

I need the kind of fuck you money to burn through a set of tires in 2 days. I’m mad when I get under 800km out of a set because I’m carving too much.

4 Likes

Man for real I need fuck you money reason why I don’t own a stooge v5​:sob: if I were on a v5 the amount id be ripping thru brp tires shiii​:sob::sob:plus v5 is no good for nyc streets lol gonna hit the spine and bye by my fuck you money :joy:

3 Likes

You’d be a menace on stooge hardware. I’d love to race you if you ever do because bet I’d have a hard time besting you

1 Like

Btw @jack.luis this wasn’t like an @ you or anything, didn’t realize that it could seem that way until I re-read things. I might be kinda shitty but you’ve always been cool in forum posting in my book & I wouldn’t say that about anybody I’ve not actually met in person. Soz if you may have interpreted it that way. Also wasn’t esk8 specific. I don’t know what specifically set you off about stooge & co. but I hope you don’t let it hurt the hobby for you. If any of them are being personally shitty to you or something you should bring it to light. They definitely get a lot of eyes on them for our hobby. Am I having a stroke my grammar procedurally got worse & I can’t even fix it. rip. imagine if jason comes back 2 gas u up.

ouff i think so too i always try to push myself to the limits as much as possible :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Gently push those limits, repeatedly. Then they will advance rapidly and safely (safer? XD)

3 Likes

yea for sure the more progressive the better like the gym start with what you can do and up the weight little by little till you know what you can confidently do for a bit till your ready to step it up a bit more and more only way to do it so we don’t get hurt :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

1 Like

Might just be a local thing, but when duckduckgo’d “Reacher 7490” this thread showed up before Reacher’s own website. Wild :sunglasses:
Proceeded to test with a different browser, then a different device, and got the same result.

2 Likes

Bit different for me lol

I don’t understand why you care so much about people using hobbywing ESC’s in their race specific esk8’s.

There’s plenty of people building race boards with VESC in the last year (including this thread).

If you really want to convince SRB that their approach is inferior, the only effective way is to start a race team and start to dominate races. I don’t think they care about words on the internet as much as riders on podiums.

8 Likes

True on many parts. For the record I haven’t heard or remember anyone that uses non VESC say that it’s the only way to go, unless it was a long time ago. The RC equipment we’ve been using just has more testing and more proof of concept for many of us at this time, but it’s changing. We are now seeing more VESC based boards making it to the top.

I’ve tried a few VESC based V5s and they’re solid builds. It seems to be more of preference thing. I think it’s great to see electric skateboard based technology get better and I think in a lot of ways that’s the ultimate future. We can’t be using RC technology forever and having something specifically designed and catered toward electric skateboard applications makes sense. We’ll see what the future holds.

11 Likes

Redetected the motors, and this is what I saw;
Old is what was on the board
I re-detected with the same detection settings that I usually use
I then tried the new detection settings you suggested, but they didn’t seem to yield very different settings from what I was using before :pensive:(also tried 30A, same result).

This picture is just one motor, but was pretty representative of what I saw across all 4.
Higher Motor resistance and less inductance. caused by motor age/wear??..
It also calculated a much Higher KI. For funzies I ran another calibration at 6000 ERPM/s, and it returned a KI of 5.87 (about 0.1 higher). I kinda remember reading somewhere that a higher KI can help with motor power(?)

I’ll be riding tomorrow; we’ll see if motor performance changes.

Unfortunately at the track on Saturday, when I went to ride my board only 2 of the 4 motors were working (the other two seemed to brake). What’s weird is that the lights on all four controllers lit up like they were receiving the control signal.
I think it’s something funky going on with the can bus. Preliminary debugging tonight has left the board less functional then it was before, but have a hunch that the power switch fried my CAN chips.
I also have a second hunch that it’s something entirely unrelated.

Next step is to disassemble the entire front mounting to get at the USB ports of the front G300s. It’ll doublely give me a chance to do some needed repairs(Wire retermination), maintenance(shit’s bent), and improvements(nuts and a reinforced mount).
Feels like a week’s worth of work. Not something I’m seeking out tonight :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes