The 3 link street cruiser / race board / mtb deck thread (serious)

After going to esk8con and seeing Jack and Estelita’s apex bro race boards with SRB 3-links, I’m exploring the idea for my nazare, as the apex airs don’t really supply the turn I’m after. Not knocking airs, I’m doing something they aren’t meant for.

Let’s post pics and what not of different MTB decks with SRB 3-links. I’m pretty set on using SRB trucks, so let’s keep this thread focused on solving the challenges that arise when using the SRB 3-links on angled decks. If you bring drama in here I’ll flag the shit out of you. :kissing_heart:

@fessyfoo @SmokeNEsk8 @HAIRYMANJACK @Yeahthatperson you guys have the knowledge - let’s go :slight_smile:

10 Likes

rear reversed in both.

front not reversed: (added angle)

this had a bit too much steer in the front for my tastes.

front reversed: (subtracts angle)

this way leaned quite a bit. was fun, but could have used more steer in the front.

with both of these i’d have preferred to get the truck angles closer to zero which would have meant subtracting less or adding less.

was looking at risers with space for the heim to screw into so i didn’t have to drill the deck. could drill the deck and get lower ride height too.

Also reverse added wheel base which reduced wheel bite.

then i never got back to this stuff. :smiley:

5 Likes

Yes, everybody knows I notched my Deck so that I could prevent wheel bite and not have to extend the wheelbase making the deck longer.

The front truck is orientated normal, and the rear truck is reversed 180° so it goes on the board exactly like the front truck does with the nose pointing to the front of the board. I then de-angle a lot out of the rear truck so that there is almost no steer from the rear for me personally

10 Likes

Like dis?

1 Like

You spelled SAVAGED wrong :rofl:

3 Likes

Reversing both trucks like this could work for me, but I’m worried I wouldn’t have enough turn up front. My nazare is 4wd, so I think I would need to reverse both trucks to allow space for the motors out front.

I guess that leaves me with the option of running an angled riser if I need more turn up front.

1 Like

or work on changing the radius rod pickup points somehow. like that longer custom baseplate bracket i saw someone use.

and/or moving the main heim joint up into the baseplate more. which basically moves the baseplate closer to the axle affecting radius rod angles.

another idea is to ask for a custom wider axle closer to hyper trucks width and avoid wheel bite that way.

2 Likes

Heyo! Sorry I don’t get regularly notified of stuff happening on here! But I’ve seen 3 links on a whole bunch of angle tip decks including Morgan’s old Proto, Jeo’s Lonestar (I think that’s the model), a Haero Bro 96 (og bro), Haero Bro Dawid Rzaca, and the Haero x Apex Predator 23 Deck ( what Estelita and I currently use).

There’s a lot to unpack here with 3 links on an angled tip deck, both ups and downs.

Let me just start that this setup can be one of the most stable platforms I have found thus far. When done correctly and maintained, (BIG EMPHASIS ON MAINTENANCE, MORE ON THIS LATER) it is a setup that has 0 “walking” that some on v5s have experienced. You can go 55+ mph and still feel like you can go an extra 10 mph without issue (more to come with this statement ;)).

Some of the downsides though…

Angled tip decks are extremely hard on 3-links:
I am the only one so far to have snapped an HD heim bolt, although to be fair I’m pretty reckless on three links jumping off curbs and jumping speed bumps :sweat_smile:.

The linkages themselves get worn out very quickly
The ball joints tend to widen slowly and cause a lot of play in the rear which can result in pretty bad brakes as they will kinda “bounce” and lose traction. Need to make sure you’re keeping them tight.

Also another downside is wheel bite depending on your deck and setup. This is the main reason why I switched to the predator 23 setup because it avoided wheel bite on the higher linkage settings.

If you can manage these downsides though I say go for it!! It’s a really nice combo and everyone that has ridden my board has at the very least liked it.

Edit: just now seeing that others also replied in here :partying_face::partying_face:. Was making this message when no one else did so apologies if it sounds like that. Still think some of the info in here is good regardless :sweat_smile:.

8 Likes

Here’s a couple photos from my deck swap to the new deck along with me on the new deck.

10 Likes

Jack, that is all fantastic info - thank you :pray:

3 Likes

Of course. Happy to share all info! I don’t like hiding secrets about what I currently ride, only what I have planned! If you have any more please feel free to ask I just might not see right away. Much more active on my Instagram @HAIRYMANJACK if you want to reach me directly and quickly :))

2 Likes

Who would be interested in a mountain board specific 3 -link trucks?

7 Likes

+1 :slight_smile:

+2 yoooooooooopo