Test HALL sensor PCB

Hello!

After I had a little incident with my board and my motors went smokey smokey, I was wondering if I can somehow test the HALL sensor PCB. I already tested the motor following this article https://blog.gesrepair.com/2018/10/22/test-brushless-motor/
and both motors passed the test with flying colors. That would be for the BLDC part or not sensored FOC. I also ran motors using the VESC-Tool today to test in field and both work fine but in the unsensored FOC. Can I somehow check if the HALL sensors work? I imagine I can look for shorts on the PCB and that would be it. If I run detection with the sensors plugged in is there something that may happen?

Thanks in advance
(EU timezone)

1 Like

Yes. The output pins of a regular hall sensor is 5v+, temp, hall1, hall2, hall3, ground.

Plug in the hall sensor to your ESC, and turn on your board. Get a multimeter, set it to measure DC voltage, then shove the red into 5v, then shove the black into hall 1. Turn the motor. The voltage should change between two values. Repeat for hall 2 and hall 3. Also verify that the difference between 5v+ and gnd is actually 5v.

If all of them work, they you are golden.

6 Likes

That’s really helpful, thank you very much for the detailed guide. Will test tmr when I wake up!

1 Like

Great instructions!

wondering if this thread can be made into all hall sensor questions general thread.

I want to know why these numbers constantly change.

Anyone have a good explanation?

my guess is they show a relationship between ERPM/poles and the hall sensors.

Turn up the 10A current, click triangle. They might change less.

But don’t turn the current up too high that you melt your motor or ESC.

Basically it’s just slight errors in angle measurements.

1 Like

huh right on a giant hub motor like a onewheel it for sure could use more than 10A for rotating accurately during sensor detection.