Tesla 2170 for esk8

@Fosterqc
https://www.tesla.com/2020shareholdermeeting
Battery day

4 Likes

4680 form factor… that’s a fat battery. Wouldn’t a 12s set up require too much space.

2 Likes

nah really does sound perfect to me for a single stack underboard battery.

3 Likes

Sweet images!

5 Likes

Straight out of the battery day live stream. New form factor, new manufacturing processes, crazy innovation.

10 Likes

Waiting for how heavy these bad boys gonna be. Not that we will see them anytime soon.

5 Likes

“5x energy, 6x power, 16% range”

so approx 20ah cell with 100a continuous discharge? :o

5 Likes

Maybe they will throw some out into the crowd

9 Likes

He said they are being manufactured right now, and they showed manufacturing video. However, I think production release is 1-2 yr.

The cost of the cell manufacturing is down to $1.2/ kwh with their new methods. Pretty insane

12 Likes

two rows of 6 cells
46-50 * 160 * 552

50 * 160 * 555 lets call it

5 Likes

Ooh boy rip people who want to replace their packs haha

Switching to structural glue for the battery. Structural battery, very cool but bad for replacements.

Frame of the car screws into the structural battery

8 Likes

now we need a new thread for that big boi cell :joy:

9 Likes

Wouldn’t a single layer 12S1P be more like 51mm x 165mm x 285mm without BMS?

thicc

5 Likes

Might be perfect for lightweight single stack eMTB battery

4 Likes

That was the cost for the cathode alone.

Then numbers at the beginning of the battery day presentation are what we want. Right now we are at ~$150 per kWh for Tesla to make complete battery packs. They said that they can drop that by 56%, to produce them at ~$66 per kWh. note that these are numbers for tesla to do it at scale, so our batteries are still going to be ~3 - 4x as expensive.

The real improvement in cost for our batteries will be going to the new form factor. Each cell is equivalent to ~4 2170 cells, so a 12s1p 4680 battery will be all you need for a board. This means no P-group balancing, no P-group assembly, no double stacking, and massively reduced complexity. Potentially reducing the pack manufacturing times considerably.

Still insane, but not ludicrous.

6 Likes

I don’t think we’re gonna see them available loose for a very very long time if ever

8 Likes

Ah I heard wrong. The reductions in cost overall really are a benefit for Tesla, not people trying to scrap up some cells haha

I don’t know that these cells would be great for Esk8 but the new technology and improvements in the cell manufacturing are leaps ahead of what anyone else is doing.

No way we are getting salvage cells with the new assembly method either. I wouldn’t expect to see these for esk8, but maybe the old 2170 cells will be more available

2 Likes

1s12p battery would mean no balancing, 12s1p still needs balancing :disappointed:

Also: 46mm is super thick. That’s thicker than a double stack of 21700 cells. This is not the future for slim builds, and I wonder if in our enclosures 21700 or 18650 cells will still beat them in energy & power for the space they fill up. Square batteries – now THAT would be exciting :smiley:

6 Likes

Yes it needs pack balancing, but not P-group balancing. One of the steps during pack assembly is to balance the individual cells that will make up a P-group before you spotweld them together. With only one cell in parallel this step is not needed at all.

4 Likes

Yeah I guess if you are using salvage cells sometimes, but normally new cells don’t need to be balanced first because they’re all the same voltage or within 0.075v

2 Likes