TB110 72A: the grip intensifies [serious]

Yep, opaque black with black core and diaphanous blue with white core

1 Like

Looks like the same colors as the last ones lol … am I seeing something different than everyone else

You seem like you’re a man on the inside, any news regarding release date?

I’m just a man, Dex has all the informations

2 hours ago he said “soon” and this isn’t enertion or Jed Boards. When he says soon, it’s usually soon :smirk:

5 Likes

Jedboards soon is the longest wait

5 Likes

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks.

Bet these wheels would be an awesome candidate for some nice big coved rain grooves

2 Likes

Unless its the Torquebox :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Rather than create a new thread I’ll ask in here…

My blue 110mm TB wheels say 74A, rather than 78A on the black versions. They are far softer add nicer to ride than any of my other wheels. Thing is, my black ABEC 107s also say 74A on them and there’s no way they are the same softness. Indeed they’re harder the the black 78A110mm wheels.

What’s going on here?

3 Likes

To put it simply, different thane = different formula = different ride.

3 Likes

So the ‘A’ rating is arbitrary rather than universal then ?

3 Likes

Wheel profile also plays into it. Looks like the TB110 thane is slightly more conical Leading to the core. In addition to having a few more mm of urethane. Not disputing the formula being softer, just saying those may be contributing factors as well.

image image

3 Likes

It’s supposed to be a scientific measurement.

However, as we learned with the Boa wheels that were labeled 82A the measurement is not always the best indicator for polyurethane longboard wheels, as there are a combination of factors at-play as @KfromtheBay noted

9 Likes

Yeah metrics only work if everyone tests, measures, and represents their data in the same way. Consider, if you will. The “80A” china-special clone core wheels that you can buy for $25 off ebay. They are more rock-like than wheel-like, in my experience.

Stepping past my level of experience for a moment, and into the realm of pulling-shit-out-my-assery, I would imagine rebound and whatnot also would play a roll in how it feels in the hand or on the street. 78A might be the shore hardness, but one wheel might be formulated to rebound much quicker than another, which will change the feel. Keep in mind that a durometer tester looks like this:

It can really only feel the surface of whatever you are pressing in on. It does not measure the total flex and cushioning abilities of the wheel as a whole.

My ass hurts from pulling all that shit out of it.

10 Likes

I see what you did there :smirk:

A wheel’s role is to roll :rofl:

2 Likes

Final real world test demands a wet rainy box punch attempt :laughing::checkered_flag::metal: (seriousness aside)

@b264

3 Likes

Yeah the shore durometer rating is an actual measurement, and while the wheels might measure an actual hardness of a certain value, that doesn’t necessarily speak to their performance on a board, as others have said.

There are a few reasons for this, one being that you don’t really measure the rebound of a wheel with the durometer test, and that makes a huge difference on ride quality, in addition, the perfecieved “hardness” will depend on the formula too, because if you make a super “soft” wheel, but it’s not “hard” enough to resist running over a rock, then it will just break apart. It gets complicated really fast and it seems like the only way to actually know if a wheel is softer than another is compare it directly. That being said, I love my Artic 110’s and they don’t even really compare to my ABEC 11 90mm or my friends’ ABEC 11 97mm wheels.

2 Likes

Ah… Yes! I, uhh, definitely, yes! I meant to do that!

So, is it “soon” yet? My nano drive needs a new pair of shoes.

2 Likes

Soo we made it to 1k miles :champagne::champagne::beers::doughnut: on these prototype 72a 110s. As noted countless times before in comparison to the 74a they don’t feel a lot softer per say, but they do feel a lot grippier. Even over slippy surfaces (ie wet roads, lane dividers etc) they seem to hold traction. This to me was a huge bonus. In comparison to the 78a they will feel a lot softer without a doubt as well as grippier.

As far as durability is concerned as noted above just reached approx 1k miles give or take 15 ish miles. So far zero chunking. The wear on the wheels also aren’t to bad. Now granted I ride them mostly on streets no gravel, bottles, glass, no off road heroics. I’m well aware that due to the lower duro those harsher road conditions will not be kind to my wheels and I like them. Also I ride in LA so roads are not pristine like you Orange County/ Irvine peeps. There are a lot of shit roads and so far we still rollin.

I’ve tried a good handful of thane ranging from
Boss, cags, superflies, and some other non branded wheels and have pretty much stuck with the 110s. The 72a rendition are probably my favorites so far. Pretty pumped to get the blue production version of these…

13 Likes