T-Race - Global electric race challenge

So I downloaded the pro version of race chrono. Just had a play around and tried to import a couple videos with sensor data but I keep getting this error message.

Should it be as simple as ensuring a GPS connection, recording the session, saving that file and then importing to the race chrono app (with go pro sensor data selected)

Or am I missing something? The files I tried to import weren’t actual laps…

1 Like

I think so. But I have never done it. @davidpilny can you help?

You import your data and then you set the track in the racechrono app. If it was not laps, you have to set a start line and a finish line. If you do laps you set a start / finish and the app will calculate lap times every time you pass that line.

Have you fund the place in the app where you set up the track?

I’m yet to set up the track and give it a proper run. Was just hoping to get it all sorted before I go out to save potentially wasting a whole session.

Seems like it would be easier just using one of the GPS receivers in the input list.

That is the easiest, and you will be able to see you lap times on the track right away. But you need a GPS that racechrono accepts and that is fast enough. Using the phone is only 1hz and useless. I use the Qstarz gps. Should I get one now I would get the racebox mini.

But if you record your session with the gopro and with the gps on, then I am absolutely sure you will be able to import the that to the app and get your lap times. Dont think you will waste a session.

2 Likes

Keep getting the same error code :man_facepalming:t2: telemetry in the videos and all

Can you upload your video for us to download. Then we can give it a go.

I’ll have another go at it soon. I learnt you need to be quite particular about where you set up. The spot was super rough and unlevel right where you need to put power down so my times didn’t look great just watching the video timer.

Looks like a bad GPS signal from the looks of this map anyway

Yeah that looks worse than phone GPS. Are there settings in the gopro to change gps accuracy?

And yes the location makes a big difference. A nice tarmac/bituman surface is best in my opinion. I took my petrol blower yesterday to clean the track too, particularly around the bends.

Your times will definitely come down bit by bit.

Yeah I’m gonna try some netball courts I think, they can only tell me to piss off… not sure what was going on with the GPS there, maybe being chest mounted is effecting it. Worst case I’ll bite the bullet and get the racebox.

It’s definitely a fun little test, unsure if wide tkp’s are ideal for those hairpins but I’m still keen to see the best I can get from them.

1 Like

I don’t know much about the gopro GPS but if it’s anything like the robogotchi gps it takes time to pick up all the satellites and start logging properly.

And agree, it’s a fun little course and quite a workout when u start pushing.

2 Likes

I went in and chatted to the manager of a local netball court who said they’d be happy… at least not upset… if there was a group smashing laps there, it not lit at night tho so setup is required, great surface though, super sticky

3 Likes

I am thinking of the exact same netball court. Looks like T race will fit just. I’ve done laps on there before and it was indeed super sticky

2 Likes

We got a gennie the ither day if that will help kick it along :wink:

1 Like

Just need the lights!

What version of GoPro do you have? I know GoPro 10 had an GPS issue where the data would get picked up and the import was failing. GoPro 7 was working fine. Wasnt testing other versions yet.

Sometimes it helps when you keep the GoPro on for some time before you start recording your laps. It might need to pick up the signal.

If you take this video to the GoPro app, do you have the telemetry present?

Yep, this happens sometimes when the signal is bad. Again, turning the camera on and waiting for some time might fix the issue. I had this issue even on GoPro 7 which is normally running really well. But when the signal does not get picked up, you can end up with this mess.

Bit of tyre wear after a solid session.

Went again today and improved slightly. @Tasventouras got some respectable 3 lap times. He’ll submit our times soon I’m sure.

Still waiting on the Race Box mini S. Very much look forward to having some data to analyze lines.

5 Likes

Yeah I’ve got the 10. Telemetry does come up in the app, I’ll try leaving it on for longer.

Yeah… It is eating tires very quickly this track.