Super flexy Idiot board - AKA the "your going to hurt yourself on that"minator

Hey!, it’s taken forever to finish this, but the world ending and me being forced to close my shop and spend more time at home (ahem) has enabled me to finally get round to making this happen…

It’s called the Super Flexy Idiot board, because I’m 40 and have never been on a skateboard in my life. And im proper flexy. like Bikram flexy, but without all the molesting.

Ok, that last bit isn’t true.

The Bikram part and the molesting part.

It’s built around a super flexy, stupidly bouncy deck, because i wanted it to be fun and carvy (bare in mind, those are both words I’d heard associated with flex decks, i had no clue when i started amassing parts, but as it happens, it is both fun and carvy).

I basically wanted something to get me between the train station & home/work and i like making things. I’m fortunate enough that my journey to the train station is through the park, and the last bit when i get off the train is a 2 minute ride in a straight line - easy peasy.

The parts first, then some more pictures:

Deck: Never Summer Descent(?) flex deck. Painted with truck bed liner and a splash of green. Gripped with a fancy laser cut pattern
Bindings: MBS. I like them. They do what i want them to do
Trucks: Gullwing Sidewinder II 10" with homebrew axle/hanger extenders
Wheels: Trampa, i don’t know which ones, i don’t care.
Tyres: 8" Aliexpress specials. They’re nice, i have nothing to compare them against.
Motor Mounts: I made them. They mount the motors. They have idlers. That is all
Motors: I have no clue, there are 2, and I picked them up off the other forum from @BigBen I think, 190kv? i think.
Pulleys: 16 and 62?? 15mm belts. I machined out and drilled the big pulleys from bog standard stock pulleys and they are mounted with 3d printed spacers. The 16s are just standard pulleys.
Batteries: 12s lipo made from 6x Turnigy 5.0 hardcase, with charge only BMS
ESC: Focbox Unity from Aliexpress.
All stuffed into a Peli case with homebrew velcro strapping to hold it in place

Things that I’ve learnt:

Don’t ever EVER buy anything from Flipsky.
Aliexpress is brilliant
I need a global pandemic to finish a project.

ON WITH THE PICTURES!!!:

14 Likes

I’m calling the police

6 Likes

More pics of the diy shit!!

My neighbour said that when i opened the communal bin and the lid hit his fence! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Are you my neighbour?

3 Likes

Sure! any bits in particular?

Flex test video?

Can you show us your custom motor mounts?

Extended axles and mounts! I’ve got some Sidewinders I’m looking into electrifying

Wow, this is really nice! I cannot believe you made the mounts and 3D printed stuff as well. You guys are all really smart on this forum! Half the time I can hardly remember lefty loosey, lol.

1 Like

Sweeeeet. Looks like a proper death-trap. Are the extended axles just some custom threaded standoffs like so?
I know some folks that would be psyched to get their hands on some… I’ve been thinking of making the plunge on some DIY ones to step down 12mm shafts to 10 or even 8mm for putting thane on beefy channel trucks.

For how ugly i find topmounted enclosures I for some reason like it on here… Why do i like this build so much?

Anyway very nice job sir! Very neat job on the cabling and mounts!

Jumping into the deep end right out of the gate! Respect to you and your board, dude.

3 Likes

Here ya go :+1:

This is me, 100kg, having a little bounce

It’s pretty flexy :grimacing:

1 Like

Sure…

2 Likes

Axle extenders too

2 Likes

Damn those mounts and extensions are NICE…I wish I could machine that kinda stuff still

1 Like

I’d trade you monies for a set of extensions :wink:

Does the flex impacting the angle of the trucks during turns make thing… interesting?

oh damn that really is flexy :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks man!

Yes, pretty much exactly like that. Stepping up is easy, as you are pretty much just sleeving the original axle, so you don’t even really need to stretch the hanger width, but to step down would be tricker as you’d need enough “shoulder” on the extended section to safely weight bear.

I think, or not

Thanks man!

The mounts were actually super easy, They’re hand cut and drilled using an angle grinder and a bench drill and then shaped with a disc sander, no fancy tools at all.

The round sections were turned on a lathe, but just to drill the centres, and to polish, which you could do with a bench drill too, then they’re just marked out and drilled again all by hand.

Extensions were trickier… They’re turned and threaded on my old lathe out of stainless rod, which I’ve now sadly sold on as I wasn’t using it :unamused:

2 Likes