Summerboard SBX Supermod

It just does that something. Yes it’s sketchy but it isn’t gonna cause any problems I had mine for a year and it did that all the time.

1 Like

As a temporary fix to get me up and running as quickly as possible. Are there any vendors or is it even possible to purchase a battery pack that I could swap with the stock SBX until I get a permanent solution

1 Like

where are you located?

1 Like

Kansas City, Missouri. I’m eventually planning to find a permanent fix but right now I just want to get out and ride

1 Like

I made a 3d model/STL for printing a SBX battery box. The goal being what you want a DIY battery that you pop in done.

However there is some trick needed to get the SBX ESC to work I think. As least the two I tried were basically a short on the main + - input. They seem to be alive, powered 3.3V rail and got green boot LED and red blinding fault for low voltage error.

From what I hear they “need” a custom FW from SB. So idk if that could be downloaded and sent from someones sbx (mine appear factory reset.) They did this through their app not Vtool.

Moral of the story if you want to skip all that work you can just throw a dual VESC and battery in a plastic case and call it a day.

Summerboard SBX reviews, discussion, mods, deals, problems, mostly problems. Maintenance/upgrade guides.

1 Like

@Battery_Mooch what are the chances those are just temp sensors passing through? I think you said already they are for communication to the SBX BMS

@Ricco you want to take the board apart again? :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes

Yo I appreciate all of the information. This is all relatively new to me so I’m learning along the way. Bought a used SBX two days ago & the battery worked fine when I showed up to make the purchase. Got home ready to ride & the battery was toast.

2 Likes

Classic Summerboard.

The trick with SB as opposed to FB is just keeping it working at all.

1 Like

Yeah lol and I knew that they weren’t reliable going into it but I thought it was worth the risk…it wasn’t

3 Likes

We can turn your luck around! Hopefully really spin it up!

That’s what I’m looking for! I’ve been dying to ride it

I have no idea but I assume this person VESC swapped also.

Note about VESC swapping SBX is that the Plastic Caster Bases / SR360 slip ring covers have 3.5mm bullets coming out. Same size as MR60. So if you wanted a drop in controller you could use many that come with MR60 MT60. Wires would be too short for a dual but two singles is ok.

1 Like

That’s super legit! Still learning about all of the components and parts so that I know what I’m doing & dont end up back right where I’m at

1 Like

The blu/wht wires?
I don’t remember talking about them or BMS comms before.

Those wires seem to go to whatever I have circled in red…power button? Covered charge port?

3 Likes

I have a perfectly good battery that I’m not using that I could sell.

2 Likes

no sorry I confused you. That pic is showing someone add wires to the esc input to power lights. What I meant was these 4 pins from the battery to the controller.

Exact opposite of what I remembered. :eye_in_speech_bubble:

says right here data over those 4 pins… unless by data they mean analog temp data.

I don’t see why the SBX ESC units I have should have a short on the main power input due to lacking BMS.

2 Likes

Could be. Could also be digitized voltage and/or current data but then why four pins?

Everything depends on where those four data pins go. If they go to an MCU they could be digital or analog. But if they go to op-amps or filters then it’ll be analog data of some type.

Couldn’t it be a failed component?
There appears to be a suppression diode there that could be shorted or it could be a different component.

3 Likes

How much do you want for it? Assuming you’d be willing to ship?

This is 100% what has happened. I think I’ve mentioned it earlier on in the thread.

There is a TVS diode on the ESC which blows when you plug a faulty battery into the board, then when summerboard send you a new battery and you plug that in you blow the new battery because of the dead short across the diode. This is why so many people complained about dead replacement batteries

3 Likes