Summerboard SBX reviews, discussion, mods, deals, problems, mostly problems. Maintenance/upgrade guides.

Very Nice job !

2 Likes

Thanks dude. I am finally getting parts to fix my printer then I could check the files to see how close they are to fitting.

Some tricks could get this case to print on an Ender-3 pretty sure.

prob not like that… too tall
printing the ends separate

seems an easy shape to wrap in fiberglass.

not sure how a whole batch of their battery packs went out with one side drained near 0V but something to do with this slow drain I assume.

Hmm wonder why it is not fitting

its been 5 days??

plenty of room

the holes where the clips attach to look odd here.

auto supports looked annoying so maybe this will be good. Wonder if a PLA clip would fail or what.

It’s time to build something I’ve been thinking about for a long time

6 Likes

Duuuude yes! I have been waiting for someone to turn a freeboard electric, is it that what I’m seeing? :call_me_hand:t3:

If an electric board that went nonfunctional now being turned functional once again counts then we are doing well at that.
Jokes. It would be interesting to take my plans/parts to make a powered middle caster and make it have both electric and gas engine options. Weed Wacker 2 stroke should have enough power and be near small enough.

2 Likes

Yeah dude, I‘m waiting for you or someone else to make your plans on that reality and if it works I will be the first to copy that! :smiley:

2 Likes

4 Likes

LOL…sheesh…:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

That small board is the ISO board and is in my opinion the weakness of the whole battery system. Everything passes through that board, The Hall sensor from the battery, a feed from the BMS and also something from the ESC. I think its purpose is to only allow the board to switch on if two conditions are met - the battery is connected to the board and the battery has enough charge. The BMS seems to have some sort of drain current and as you need to have the board switched on to charge (why!? actually not sure if they sorted this out now but that is the way my board works) you can get into a loop where the board wont charge as it wont switch on and it wont switch on as the battery is too low.

Anyways its the bane of this battery, its trying to be too clever in my opinion. Its actually quite cool how its 2 x sub 100wh packs that get connected in series when the battery is connected but it needs so many watchdog features that it just causes issues for some people. They made it possible to fly with it but in doing so caused themselves some problems with batteries.

I think they should redesign the electronics personally but im not aware of what their actual failure rate is and whether it warrants it. Its one of those things where you dont know how many people are happy and never complaining.

edit - Dustin Lippys issue is that TVS diode has blown (big diode on the end of the PCB). When that happens everytime you plug a working battery in it fries the BMS, its likely that he started with all good batteries and then plugged them into a bad ESC and blew them all. Another issue these boards seem to have and im not sure what blows the diode.

4 Likes

1 Like

That “music” makes me want to burn every Summerboard I will ever see. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I got headphones on I did not hear. Lol, must have been some worse ones not chosen from.

I am sure they will delete any post about your sbx combustion. Funny not funny, this stuff gets messed up.

2 Likes

Keen to try those foamies though!

2 Likes

after my sbx motherboard stopped working I decided to start scheming alittle bit with spare parts.

BN270 Precision Hangers
torqueboard baseplate
summerboard pro wheels
minifoc plus
12s2p samsung40t battery
FS VX1
summerboard deck and sr360’s

proof of concept.

VSS isn’t perfect but it still seems to work better on startup then the stock ESC. even with single motor setup.
Gonna order another esc and see if I can make this a viable alternative.

4 Likes

what do you guys think is a safe amount of current that the sr360s can handle?

2 Likes

If it’s clean a lot, like 50A or more than you can probably draw riding uphill. Once dirt gets in a lot less.

1 Like

Gonna be interesting to see Shredquarter’s review.

2 Likes