Summerboard SBX reviews, discussion, mods, deals, problems, mostly problems. Maintenance/upgrade guides.

Yes 18650 batteries : Samsung 25R.
The pack is made of 24 cells. I think it’s two 6s2p batteries used in series.

My plan is to convert the pack with a 12s BMS

1 Like

Ha well you are here to correct me!!

Really not sure it is two 12s1p. Each of the two battery is made of 12 cells with a voltage of 25.2V (and not 50.4V like a 12s pack would be). “Only” 25.2V meas 6s (6*4.2 = 25.2V).

The SBX charger is 50.4V. Meaning the two 6s2p pack are charged in series. The board is quiet powerfull (goes uphill) so I guess it is discharged in series as well. Parallele voltage would be 25.2V, not enough to go uphill I think.

1 Like

you could really be right. I was not considering the evidence that was provided as it seemed silly also Aaron had talked about it being 12S but I guess he could have meant series 6S2P packs like you say.

I wonder what odd behaviour this could explain… Thanks for taking the time to reiterate to me.

1 Like

Yeah two 6s2p in series is kind of equivalent to a 12s2p pack.
Strange engineering anyway …

1 Like

welp lol it says right there. 21.9V 5000Mah each side.

Yeah that’s it: 21.9V nominal means 25.2 fully charged.

1 Like

I really want to know how the balancing and stuff works and is wired up, interesting mystery.

Wish I did not have to search but Aaron was talking about how he paid a engineering company to evaluate the SBX battery for any reason it could be self destructed as in the infamous case with Charlie’s. They found no faults with the design, would be really cool to read that report someday.

2 Likes

If I had a report like that about a pack I built I would post it publicly everywhere I possibly could.

Of course, a lot depends on what criteria were used for judging the design. Initial quality is completely different from product dependability and process/production control. All need to be carefully managed to have a good product with a lower risk of failure.

2 Likes

I am finally getting a broken battery with cells removed but should get all the PCBs and junk. Plus some pics before stuff is cut hopefully.

1 Like

I can show you pictures if you like, it’s… Not great.

I am not surprised they have been having lots of issues, all the electronics are weird tbh.

4 Likes

I mean if you post them here I can tell the person sending me stuff to not bother with pics before tearing the water damaged cells out and mailing it.

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll grab some in a bit. Also have some of the ESC’s kicking about.

2 Likes

yeah just try to show whatever is not shown well in these pics.

That’s a disaster. There are unsecured wires everywhere. :scream:

3 Likes

I feel like it could be safe if the balance wiring was on a flexible PCB and all nickel/cables had proper strain relief and isolation.

That is how I would try to fix up a sbx batteries on a mass scale.

1 Like

Do you have any photos of the balancing wire “harness” or routing that they use now? I scrolled up and didn’t see any but maybe I’m not understanding how they run those wires.

2 Likes

I not not tried crazy hard but nobody has done a proper teardown of a SBX battery and taken good pictures. @Lee_Wright

Someone had a battery that got water in it and shorted out that they were going to tear down and send me, I don’t expect them to do it.

1 Like

1 Like

someone sent me this they got in a box of parts from LV Shredquarters

Took a while to find any pic showing the part it screws onto, looking at it now the funny triangular bolt pattern makes sense because if the upper part cracks there are screws holding the pivot and sr360 mount separately.

the ground down edge is because it hits the ring under vibration.

Should be possible to replace that part in the center with one that would allow the use of Freebord 5 castor bases.
Right now what I can do is finish the rough model then work on a design of the same part but it fits the leiftech wheel/motor mounts as well as the SBX ones. Then that part could be sold to someone with a V2 to let them use SBX wheels and later if they switch motor/mounts then use SBX mounts or aftermarket mounts that fit the bracket without total disassembly.