Stripping a Tomiboi deck

Hey guys. I have a Tomiboi deck that I would like to strip and refinish. It has a fine glass frit finish which is probably embedded in epoxy. Any suggestions on how to remove the finish? Thanks in advance!

but it’s so pretty :pleading_face:

feels like an orbital/belt sander is in ur future

@glyphiks perhaps ur area of expertise?

3 Likes

Lol maybe.

I’d just bin it and start again.

I can’t speak for tomi’s frit work, but the only way i’ve been able to get mine of has been with a flap disc on an angle grinder. Very difficult to get it off neatly.

It’s a hell of a job, i’d recommend not undertaking.

2 Likes

Personally, I would sell it and buy a new deck from Thom.

If you want to strip it, I would start with a heat gun on the frit to see if you can soften the epoxy. If you can get the epoxy hot enough to soften, you could use a chisel or other scraping tool to scrape away most of the epoxy/frit.

2 Likes

Lots of sanding. Or just throw some vicious over top.

2 Likes

Oh wait yah this is the best answer

Vicious is made to stick on top of other grip tapes. It might stick to fine frit well enough

1 Like

Couldn’t just re skin it?

Im just spitballing here, but sandblaster? Might rip it to shit, but it could be a lot easier than other options

That’s what I was thinking too. Random orbital sander with some course discs. It just needs to be sanded enough to apply grip tape. The sides and bottom should be pretty easy to do. Will definitely use finer sandpaper for those areas.

1 Like

It has a full epoxy finish. Your best bet is just paint over the whole thing with more epoxy that is dyed one color. Stripping it would be a royal pain in the ass and you’d probably grind away the fiberglass here and there.

1 Like