Street racer build thread

Street racer build thread.

I want to contribute with this build thread. It’s something that I have wanted to do for quit some time now.

It will be a slow build but feels good to have started it. Idea is to make a relatively light weight street racer.

I am returning to the only esc solution I have not yet had any problems with. The Mambas have been hazel free, extremely reliable and easy to change parameters on. But this time I want to see if they can be used properly with a lion battery solution.

The mambas need amps to function as we want them to functions so it will be interesting to see if what I am throwing at them here will be sufficient.

The constrain I have given my self, is that the battery can only be single stack. I want a slim look. And a single stack solution will also keep the weight down.

First thing I will consider is wether or not to add an extra cell to make it 11p. The room is there, but I dont know if I want to spend the extra money on cells, and if 10p can deliver enough amps I think I will stick to 10P. That will also make the enclosure not go all the way to the edge, for a less compact look as this enclosure and deck setup will also be used as 16s5p setups in the future.

This is the rough outline on how the setup will end up.

Deck: Red Ember NorthCamp.
Trucks: 3-links - last edition before the production ones.
Wheels: 145mm Bishop Racing Products wheels / Stooge race wheels.
Battery: 8s10p Molicel p42A cells.
Enclosure: will make one to fit this config.
Esc: Mamba Xlx - original ones.
Motors: sss in runners 5694 800kv
Radio: GT2B

I will update this thread as the build progresses.

10 Likes

Yeah stick with 10P I think. The closer your enclosure is to the edges of the deck, the less clearance you have on turns. And you said it yourself, that you want this board to be relatively lightweight :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thats a good point too!

2 Likes

Nice build. I’m very curious about those escs and inrunners. I’ve never tried them or know of anyone in West Oz running them.

3 Likes

I have been glad using that set up with lipos. But set up do have some weak points. Not being sensored makes it a tad more difficult to launch from zero. And motors heat up when doing extremely tight track like the T-race. But Those issues should have been solved with the new mambas and sensored motors from castle. But I am not there yet.

2 Likes

Nice! Looking forward to following along. Have no clue about those ESCs, how do RC ESCs handle the weight of riders and their boards?

1 Like

I got a little further with the battery and decided for the layout. Today I got the enclosure made, with an extension to house the esc’s. I needed the enclosure to continue with the battery and the rest. Now it looks like I can step by step finish this build.

I am using a mix of 8 and 12 awg for series connection and will use 8 awg for leads to the mambas. Each mamba will get its own lead.

Enclosure is 3mm high and the extension another 16mm to house the fan of the mambas.

8 Likes

David.
Have you looked at the Z.mote?

I love the North Camp Deck!!!
Instant classic.

3 Likes

Thanks

Haven’t seen the Z.mote but just read through the thread. Looks like something worth trying. What makes you pick that over the mini?

Does it connect to more than one receiver (Edit: got the answer to this :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Welp.
I have always liked the Mini a lot.
In recent times I have noticed more signal hiccups.
And I have had quality issues related to the power button.
So I started getting nervous.

I like triggers so I was happy to see there was an alternative.

Regarding the Z.mote I like the build quality of it.
Trigger pull feels great.
I like Kaman’s interest in the project and attention to detail.
So to me it’s nice that it was made for esk8.

I have them on 3 boards and so far the signal has been PERFECT.

I kind of thought the lights were going to be a bit silly, and they sure are not necessary. But I now think they are really cool and always turn them on at night…

5 Likes

Triggers are my favourite too, and it’s a shame we don’t have much to choose from. But between the mini and the gtb2 I have been ok.
Will try this one and see if it will be a new favourite.
And lights… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Got the enclosure cut out and drilled for air intake (yes too lazy to spend the 2 min extra to get a nice even hole grid - stupid). The layout is finally decided and its gonna be a tight fit.

Now finishing the battery. Enclosure holes cutout for motor wires, charge port and loop keys. And all the other “minor” things that always end up taken for ever.

Beginning to have a good feeling for this build.

5 Likes

Yup know the feeling lol. Looking good though! Have you ever tried a Northcamp before this build?

1 Like

Yes. Been my main platform ever since I started prototyping it fall 2019 :relaxed:

The one on the bench here is actually the first deck as it ended out being after about two handful of prototype versions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAa0LMOp7Tu/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

2 Likes

Finished up the battery today and mounted the antisparks. Chargeport mounted but still needs longer screws be able to also mount the chargeport cover. Screws it came with wasn’t long enough to also go through the enclosure.

Next I will mount the enclosure and then holes for motor wires.

3 Likes

Was this a custom enclosure, it looks like it’s a single stack? The ones that come with the board are double stack atm.

Edit: I scrolled up, and see it is

1 Like

Yeah… I wanted these decks to have a single stack enclosure option. Double stack is nice when we want range near the 100km. But I also want to have the option of a lighter and slimmer setup.

These are abs atm. Maybe at some point they will come as fiberglass.

2 Likes

Ooh ok so you thinking of selling it?

Yes. They will pair up with the decks Northcamp and Jotnar. There are both a version that holds 8 cells across (21700) for 4p batteries and this one that holds 10 cells across for 5p packs.

1 Like

This build is finally rolling.

Main idea with this build was:

• See If could use mamba xlx with lion batteries.

• Have a single stack enclosure for the NorthCamp / Jortnar deck.

I had most of the build lying already and at Esk8con Stooge race boards provided me with the parts that needed an upgrade from what I had already. Thank you! Build ended up with these specs:

Deck: Red Ember NorthCamp.

Trucks: 3-links. Front: last edition before the production. Rear: Production baseplate and new HD axel HD motor plates.

Wheels: 145mm Bishop Racing Products wheels / Stooge race wheels.

Battery: 8s10p p42A.

Enclosure: ABS single stack made for the NorthCamp / Jotnar. This one got an extra lift in the rear to fit the mamba xlx.

Esc: Mamba Xlx.

Motors: two new SSS inrunners 5694 800kv Gear: 11 / 78 open.

Radio: GT2B

So a build heavily relying on the Stooge approach (minus the battery), which previously have worked good for me.

It rolls nicely.

The feel is the well known 3.-link experience on a huge wheelbase that I have loved from when I first put a set of 3-links on the NorthCamp. Still my favorite setup.

Trucks are lowered almost as much as they can which is around 1.5 cm. I remember that a lot less turny than it feels now. As I remember it I wanted more turn when I had it like this before. Now it feels good.

Motors are ear facing. In order to do that they are very close to the ground. But I build this for the airfield and flat track ridding. So the cm air motor mounts have is all that is needed.

It feels like the battery doesn’t deliver as much punch as when I had lipos on a similar setup.

It is still punchy and does give me wheel spin from time to time. But some of the jerkiness, which I had a difficult time controlling with lipos, have been taking out (not completely) of this setup.

As is now it suits me better, but I am pretty sure that if I was better at controlling that jerkiness, I would be faster with lipos.

I could consider adding five more cells in parallel to give it the extra amps. Luckily I can easily make a new enclosure with room for the extra cells.

Speaking of enclosure… this single stack gives the NorthCamp / Jortnar new life. The added clearance from the double stack feels nice and gives the setup another ascetically slimmer look that I like. So when 160+ cells are not needed this single stack enclosure is nice.

According to esk8 cal. This should be doing 90 kmh. It does not :slight_smile: I have probably feeded the calculator with the wrong data. But this were never meant to go 90 kmh.

I haven’t had it at full speed yet, but it will be significantly lower than 90 kmh. I will test this tomorrow.

All in all I am satisfied.

7 Likes