3 Likes

4wd Haero Bro with 3ds 320 hangers this has a 12s6p moli p42a

10 Likes

Goals.

3 Likes

I really think the question should be:

Which one should I build first?

8 Likes

you can’t get helicals on those tho, right?

1 Like

Are you using the eboosted enclosure @ahrav ?

Also, how fast do you go? Is that setup really stable?

2 Likes

I am using the DS eBoosted enclosure yep. I ride sorta fast :call_me_hand: but yea the angles on these are setup to ride into the 50s. Also having the right bushing setup plays a huge role. Angles + bushing combo and ride height for me are what do it.

As for stability never had speed wobbles with either of these setups :eyes:.

3 Likes

not at launch. if you need that then go another company.

1 Like

I’m feeling increasingly like that’s where this is going…

I can’t say I’m against it, but my wallet’s gonna need some time in intensive care to recover from just one board so I’m a bit stuck.

4 Likes

As for safety gear, I was planning to get an airoh motorcycle helmet and lazyrolling jacket + pants.

Do you think that’s enough?

If I may ask, what is it about the Red Ember that you prefer over emtb typa stuff?

Curious to hear explanations from both sides.

3 Likes

RKP trucks.

You need to ride both to decide what you want. Nobody can tell you this.

Instead of one AWD board, I would build tow 2WD boards. You will need to spare just like 1500$ more to have both boards you are interested in, instead of just one of them in AWD. After riding them for some time and figuring out wich you like more, you can part out the other board and build your AWD and sell the rest of the parts here in the forum.

My personal opinion is, you won’t need an AWD and you won’t go 80km/h. I have my boards geared up to 100km/h in 2WD and I don’t feel a lack of torque. I also never went much higher than 70km/h after more than 10.000km of riding experiences on about 20 different boards.

But I like your plans and commitment though! I’m curious for what you will decide!

3 Likes

As Mr world record holder outlined, the majority of your decisions can be based primarily on how fast you want to go, if you’re really looking for 50+ km/h then you will eat shit on channel trucks.

Or if you want to carve more, then an urban carver as the name plainly gives away is more ‘carvierer’.

5 Likes

Pshhh nawwww

55 km/h is my cruising speed. I hit 78 km/h the other day on yellow/orange matrix bushings.

I don’t get all the hate for channel trucks and speed. Not in any ways directed as an argument towards you but do you own a board with channel trucks out of curiosity?

6 Likes

Lol good on you then! You’re totally correct I’ve never ridden nor owned such a board, all I do is regurgitate the same shit I read here every day, “channel trucks mkay, straight up nope train if you’re doing the zoom zoom” :upside_down_face:

But seriously I’m sure with the right technique and bushings you can realistically go fast on any truck, hell I’ve seen entire spreadsheets on bushing setups for DKP’s to go zoom. But for the general public, I’d strongly recommend choosing a truck based on how they’re primarily designed to perform.

3 Likes

There is certain truth to that. You don’t see the downhill nuts using them on road nor do you see rkps usually ridden downhill offroad.

3 Likes

First and foremost is preference without a doubt. I am not a a man of top mounted boards, just not my thing and I live in LA. I’m not going off the road anytime soon. Second is the deck itself. @jamie has built something pretty spectacular with the RE44. The shape is so comfortable to ride. Ton of space for your feet, concave to lock in your feet and a nice drop to lower your center of balance. And again you can fit a giant pack in there now. I can get close to 40mi range with AWD at close to 50wh/mi. :eyes:.

Next is speed so not everyone is @Venom121212 and riding at 50mph on channel trucks is not something most people can do. Again @Venom121212 is an exception for sure :man_facepalming:t3::joy:. I can ride into the 50s (mph) easily without having to really worry about wobbles. So I do think speed is something to take into account when choosing.

As for AWD vs 2WD again gotta look at each situation. Is it gonna cost a good bit more and make things a bit more complicated ? YeAaa it is :man_shrugging: But imo that trade off is welll worth it. The torque on AWD is not really comparable to a 2WD board. It just isn’t. The torque is pretty nuts. Also the braking with awd is sweet you can stop on a dime no problem :eyes:.

Also me personally I would take 1 AWD over 2 2WD.

And obviously carvers you can well carveee hahaha… with rkp not nearly as much carving gonna happen and that’s a trade off I’m okay making to go really fast without really worrying… :call_me_hand:

Also did I mention the RE44 deck is fuckin sweet…

6 Likes

Ive heard mixed things about these such as quality control issues and poor fit/comfort. But in general a motorcycle helmet will be a great choice. Plenty of protection. Just make sure you do you homework on the specific model you are considering.

I have only heard bad things about the lazyrolling products. Poor quality control, poor sizing, slow delivery time, bad customer service, etc. Not to mention that they provide very little in the way of impact resistance with their slide-into-place pads. I would say ditch these.*

Instead I would recommend looking at the places that actually take the brunt of the damage when falling from an esk8. For me, every time I have fallen, the most damaged parts of me are my knees and my hands.

For that reason, my “fully suited up” gear is:

• a full face helmet (Bell Qualifier motorcycle helmet for the winter, Troy Lee Designs open face mountain bike helmet for the summer)
  • Flatland 3D Pro Esk8 gloves (having wrist guards that provide wrist support as well as slide surfaces so you hand doesnt grab on the pavement is very important)
  • Demon knee pads (you want something with a lot of impact protection, as well as a robust sliding surface thats not going to crack or wear through on your first fall.)

With the combination of this gear, I can control my fall and go to my knees and hands, and slide on my knee pads and hand guards. I am also considering getting a motorcycle jacket, as every time I have fallen I have managed to road-rash holes in whatever jacket I am riding. Having a dedicated jacket for this purpose might be ideal.

*(Please note that the lazyrolling hoodie has an outer layer of standard fabric before the inner kevlar layer, so if you fall, that fabric layer is going to get shredded.)

This is all just my opinion. Safety gear is always hotly debated. There are several great threads on this forum about this topic. There are also a lot of Lazyrolling fans out there, and im sure I will be hearing from them if they see this lol.

5 Likes

I love my btr leather gloves but a big slide puck is too bulky for my remote hand. I’ve been considering the flatlands for that reason specifically as the wrists are what take most of the damage for me every time.

I have an armored vest I wear in the summer when I plan on getting crazy and a motor jacket for the cooler weather. One thing I keep noticing about the moto jackets are that they’re all crop top short around the waist. They often have loops to belt buckle in to your pants to keep from sliding up but that doesn’t always work out best for me. I would prefer a longer cut… I’ve never slid forward to where my jacket would ride up. Tuck and roll and natural falling has never landed me anywhere close to that angle.

Confession: I don’t wear knee pads as much as I should. I don’t take a lot of knee damage when in bindings for some reason. I do want some of the tsg downhill pads that are hard shelled for Christmas.

Which brings me to my current elbow pads:
They’re a sleeve style with foam pads spread out. This is fine for the skate park floors at low speed but off road and gravel streets at speed slide them out of the way quickly. Definitely want a strap down system to replace them. Elbows take a lot of damage in my falls. Probably go tsg again based on reviews.

Sorry I started replying to you and it turned into a novel @BenjaminF. I just think you’re so cool.

4 Likes

These are legit the best wrist guards I’ve ever worn.
Not only can I wear my BTR leather gloves underneath them comfortably but I can still bend my wrist and hold my remote.
Highly recommend if your hands are important to you. I’ve injured my wrist too many times to wear anything less.

• they had great Black Friday deals last year so keep an eye out
3 Likes