Street Board vs Carver / eMtb - First Build Advice Needed

You don’t need 6396’s in a 4wd setup, go for 74’s instead or 55 front and 74 rear.

Gearing for 80kph top speed is straight up retarded, especially after only coming from a boosted. Gear for 60kph top so you can comfortably cruise at 50kph.

Get MBS hubs instead of the trampa ones, they assemble and come apart much easier should you ever need to change a tire or inner tube.

Instead of the prototypo you could get a flux deck instead, it’s designed for 12s9p 21700 in 2wd so you might have to sacrifice a p-group. Kaly also makes very nice decks, and because of the wings they offer a lot of grip.

5 Likes

Carver/mtb.

Trampa hs11 with wings (gas pedals), infinity trucks, Kaly Hellcat wides with stretched 200x50 tires, bottom mount 12s8p.

I ride mostly street/bike paths but I occasionally take dirt paths. Usually smooth gravel. But never through the woods trails.

2 Likes

Carver mtb. It’s just too damn fun.

The channel trucks get you so much more involved with the ride. I have 200% more fun on both my mtbs, even just for on road riding.

Haero deck and matrix trucks is a great setup. Don’t listen to this @J0ker above me :wink:

What are your range requirements and condition of streets? That’s the only other factors that would make me choose the street build. If you use fivestar hubs, you can use tires from 6" (maybe even 5.5") through 10". Plus they’re cheap and light and take dye very well.

5 Likes

That’s a huge upgrade from a boosted.
That’s like having a ford tempo that runs off two cylinders and replacing it with a McLaren.

Definitely a powerful plan.

Personally I’m not crazy about the feel of four-wheel drive on traditional skateboards.

Mtb/carvers with wide trucks and the deck shape seem to support 4wd without sacrificing steering or clearance issues, especially with big motors AND geardrives.

That top speed is a bit much unless you have some serious downhill experience going that fast on a piece of wood.

If you get the puck I highly recommend https://forum.freesk8.org/t/puck-puck-bruce/265?u=skunk
Huge Improvement to the way it feels in your hand.

3 Likes

This makes me very nervous. Your deck and enclosure should be the first think you decide on when planning a build.

(Actually no, the second thing. The first thing should be safety equipment matched to how you plan to use the board. 40MPH is a lot, especially coming from a boosted. Dont mess around about your safety gear.)

But you should always figure out your deck and enclosure combo first so that you know exactly what you can fit. Especially if you want to fit a 12s8p 21700 battery. Thats going to cut your options down a lot.

The prototipo deck and enclosure can just barely fit a 12s5p 21700 with a unity and a daly BMS and 0 room to spare. Ask me how I know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: That deck and enclosure is also unobtainium right now as far as I know.

The Haero Bro rides really low. @BigBen makes an underslung enclosure that can fit a 12s4p 21700, but I dont know of anyone who makes an enclosure for it that would fit 12s8p and 4 ESC’s. You would potentially have clearance issues with that much battery under the deck.

6 Likes

@Cyanoacrylate you can just grab a Flux board

8 Likes

I think you really want this :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Get the Bro. Or the Flux.
I think you are tripping wanting 4 wheel drive.
Huge added complication weight and cost…

My Bro is my favorite set up…
It might be tricky to get a big battery under it.

4 Likes

Def get the flux deck/enclosure. I’m fitting a 12s9p 21700 cells into it soon and that only takes up 3 of the four compartments in the enclosure. You can easily do 12s12p 2170 if you top mount ESCs.

Also, Matrix 2s are fucking awesome. Idc what anyone says about that :joy::v:t3:

4 Likes

Yes ^^

If you’re doing that big of a pack and 4wd, you’ll have a HEAVY ass board. I personally haven’t tried 4wd yet so idk if it’s worth it, but I get enough power with 2wd and some 6380s :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Zach is on the money here.
You should just get Ciscos board…

Be done. Enjoy riding…

And then Buy a bkb Tayto kit to get the diy taste and have a milk run board.

2 Likes

would you take the matrix 2s over 3d servisas’ Fatboy 320mm hanger?

I would, MBS makes some amazing stuff. If I was a bigger dude with deeper pockets I would pick up a MBS complete and a Haebro deck

1 Like

are you using the enclosure BigBen makes?

I haven’t tried the wider 3ds hangers so I can’t give you a ride review but I think they’re… not very pretty.

@Taraskasyanyuk, preach. Matrix 2s forever.

4 Likes

Well… until matrix lll comes out lol

5 Likes

True that. Already karamdibsd first in line

4 Likes

I will
Be the lone dissenter and say RE44 AWD w/ 3ds drives. Metro 155s instead of trampa treads :call_me_hand::eyes:

All of this ^^^ extremely biased… AWD is fun as shit :penguin:

14s9p p42 3ds drives & 12s9p p42 3ds drives both AWD

11 Likes

old knews it’s all about that BN AT

5 Likes

Hahaha we shall see :eyes:

3 Likes