Stormcore Super Single Conversion, or Tronic 250R?

Hello everyone,

Does anyone here have an opinion on attempting to convert a Stormcore 100D to a Super Single? I am considering doing this, or just purchacing a Tronic 250R, and selling the Stormcore. Does anyone have an idea on what would be a better approach? This is for an electric scooter with an 18s battery with a 80100 7000w motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you’re just doing 18s, buy a little focer. It’s a tronic 250R but 20s max. it’ll produce less heat for the same current since it uses lower voltage components.

or if you dont need 7000w out of it, single SKP solo is the budget option. it’s a mini little focer that takes 18s max.

The 250R, little foc, and solo were all designed by the same person. Pretty confident that the tronic 250 is just a little focer with a fancy case

stormcores are a death trap anyways

5 Likes

Stormcore never got the super single FW unfortunately.
I was able to run a 60d+ on a single motor, but wasn’t easy and i can’t remember how I did it.
I can check the scoot and see how I set it up if interested.

I’d just go tronic so you can utilize that beefy motor.

1 Like

Yea I’ve been using it with just the one side of the Stormcore, but it just cant output enough current without getting too warm. You’re probably right, Tronic or a little focer like @Evwan said. Thanks for the ideas.

2 Likes

Tronic/lilfoc make a lot of heat, and they don’t dissipate it well. Especially if you’re gonna hit 7kw. Prepare for a copper heatsink

2 Likes

It looks like the Tronic at least has a pretty beefy enclosure heatsink that might work well enough, unless you think otherwise. I really don’t think I have any more room for a cooper heatsink.

is the chassis metal? you could thermally adhere the esc to it and use it as a massive heatsink.

1 Like

Yea its metal, but it is also slightly curved, which makes me think it might be very difficult to get a good thermal connection. Unless you have an idea of how to adhear it somehow. Definitely is a ton of thermal mass though lol.

cant help you with that but
i had a lilfoc on my ebike, and it was really hard to keep the thermals in check. I didnt have it thermally adhered to the metal casing though. The built in heatsink on that has a bunch of mass, it’s basically a block of aluminum. If you thermally adhere it, you should be a-ok

2 Likes

Slightly curved? Shim it as much as possible with copper shims to fill in the concave and then thermal paste/pad.

5 Likes

I didn’t think of that. Thanks for the idea!

1 Like

So I looked around a bit and it seems like you can get an original Tronic 250 for about 225, while the cheapest Little FOCer I could find is 325. Do you think the Tronic would perform just as well since it’s not the new high voltage version?

1 Like

The tronic 250 and the lilfoc are the same ESC afaik, so yeah

2 Likes

Oh okay great. Thank you!

1 Like

You were right :melting_face: It defiently heats up a ton after a bit of riding… So now I get to figure out if I thermally adheare it to the frame, or add a chunk of copper to it. Or maybe venture into the world of water cooling. Yippee

How about you thermally adhere it to copper. Then adhere that to the frame?

1 Like

I was thinking exactly that. Do you think I drill holes through both the chunk of copper and the frame to try to sandwich it all together? (Then feed long bolts through that to screw into the back of the Tronic)

My little foc heatsink didn’t have any mounting for stuff, so you’re gonna have to do quite a bit. I use this double sided thermal tape for most stuff, and it’s so strong. Very difficult to remove. You should be able.to find it on Amazon or whatever. It’s generally a white tape with a blue plastic film.

1 Like

Oh good to know. I’ve seen that stuff before, but I didn’t know if it really worked or not. I think I’ll give it a try. I’ll report back if I have success.

Its conductivity isn’t super high, but it’s unlikely to be far worse than the thermal pads.

1 Like