🏁 SRB Esc Approach 🏁

What if I told you that having zero faults isn’t the end all be all of an esc.

1 Like

My lack of injuries due to ESC faults would disagree

8 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

So would mine.

1 Like

ToBeFaaaaiiiiiir, Moe’s statement didn’t seem to only pertain to race boards. So a rebuttal should be expected.

3 Likes

Yeah, they came, and I wasn’t surprised lol

1 Like

yeah, I don’t notice or think about this issue now .

2 Likes

The reason I did my response was because regular street boards where mentioned as well (I perceived it as insult on the little guys on budget and regular rides, which was stupid of me to see it as that to begin with), I didn’t wanted to pursue this argument further because:

1. I have been tinkering with idea of doing proper street performance in runner build for a while(50km/h max, durable on shitty local roads, light, waterproof, predictable interesting throttle curve, easy to take sharp corners, 40km range. AKA perfect city board). Scrooge is right, I should put my money where my mouth is. Last season I finished out runner build which tried to accomplish that but it fell short in many aspects. However it will serve as good baseline for future inrunner build.
    2.I am aware of out runners drawback, mainly: lack of resistance against weather(properly ventilated open can design is no use as main failure point is bearings themselves being trashed in salt) odd balance, odd load on bearings as well as heat. I could’ve put smaller motors in my current build if it weren’t for the heat.
    3.I obviously I haven’t worked with in runners on esk8. Instead of fighting what is essentially useless and non productive fight (race vs street board, different experiences in different fields yada yada) it would be better to exchange ideas and work together to create what could be a new era for street boards.

Also sadly won’t be able to race since I’m other side of the earth and I top all my builds @ 45km/h for safety reasons. But hey, If we can figure out a way to measure performance (esk8 dyno if you will). I’m all for it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

not sure if this was intentional or autotype :laughing:

5 Likes

@MoeStooge (or anyone else who may be able to answer)

in my standard build (li-ion battery, vescs, belt setup on standard trucks) is there anything stopping me running inrunners?

will they work fine with lower power li-ion
does vesc allow detection of inrunners?
any other issues

thanks so much

3 Likes

unintentional mistype, but now that you mentioned I will have to leave it there. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

i found it quite funny

2 Likes

Hi Oscar, no updates here. There is one pretty oudated version available for esk8 but after flashing my flier esc didn’t work any more so I had to flash back to 5.1. I guess this old version was not meant for the 400A Car Esc. But i have to say i don’t think the braking behaviour is that bad anymore. Maybe i got used to it and ABS just start if you brake to a complete stop. Unfortunately one of my lipos was faulty so i couldn’t test it further and now the weather is not suitable for further testing. I also have two maba xlx2 lying around so as soon the weather getting better i can finaly also do a direkt comparison between flier and mamba.

BTW: I also still waiting on reply from flier about the new esk8 firmware for the 400a esc.

4 Likes

E-rpm, Amperage availability and proper gearing are difficulties. Grab some low kv in-runner specifications, stuff them in the final drive computer and see what is needed.
Find equipment that will accommodate.
The vesc out-runner combo works. The motor design is not the best application.
http://calc.esk8.it/

2 Likes

In addition to what Moe said, also watch out for too low of a KV on inrunners. They have less peak power output than high KV according to most spec sheets.

I think an interesting approach would be an inrunner with planetary gearbox as a first stage reduction, then running a belt/chain/gear drive as a second reduction. The efoil guys who need a lot of continuous power output seem to have abandoned outrunners in favor of inrunners with planetary gearboxes to get the RPMs back to useable levels.

2 Likes

1v1 me BiΔ·ernieku forest race track :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

1-1me @ gaujas iela @ sigulda (11% grade 1km long windy hill) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Dear @MoeStooge i have a question regarding this setup
So you get the power of your setups through the high amps of the 8s2p lipos. now i wondering if its possible to do it the opposide way => 161P (4s4P 30c 16000mah lipo) with a lower KV inrunner like 400 and the 11/78 gearing?
Ive looked on the datasheets of those lower KV inrunners and theyre like max amp 150 and max V 80.
Because if this is also a way to do it running those inrunner with a vesc based ESC would be possible.
Am i misunderstanding something or missing smth here?
KR and thx very much!!!

Interested in a similar idea
Using the sss motors with high gear reduction on 16s on a vesc

1 Like

aybe im totally wrong but fro my understanding it should make no diff
and you would have access to vescs and not tht much amperage on the wires and ive also seen sensored inrunners from tp power tht would be usable then
lets see wht master moe says :slight_smile:

1 Like