Split PWM ("PPM") settings

I have, and while that is tragic. Securing cables are a minimum requirement if you ask me. If that cant be done. That i would question the entire build

1 Like

The problem is in the VESC design, but that is not ther point. If you guys could stay in topic that would actually be helpful.

1 Like

Simply because people didn’t identify that as a problem. ESC died after a while for no apparent reason… Blown DRV.

There’s a lot of assumptions there. Most of the time it’s on the bench.

So your using the lack of facts as a fact? Marketing genius!

Advising people to not use PPM: M A R K E T I N G!
That’s FAKT (the alternative kind of)

If only you could back that up, wouldn’t that be nice.

But he can, if your car would run on orange juice with the off chance of it ruining the motor. Would you still do it? Its the exactly same thing. (Atleast for me as an electronics engineer)
Ground looping something, intentionally, is just… Not recommended. Even if it works.

3 Likes

I just wish we could have some kind of redundancy.

If you snip the power leads when using split PPM you have the same issue as CAN if the master dies. You are fucked.

It must be possible to connect a receiver to both VESCs and still use CAN until there is a loss of communication or the master dies where they both switch to PPM.

Would it be that hard to do?

3 Likes

Your example is not applicable. Please read what I actually said. I never said ground loops were good. I said that can bus has killed more hardware than split PPM.

As a system’s engineer I use methods which are the most reliable. (I can throw degrees around to bro, I’ve got 2 of them).

Now that is a very good idea.

1 Like

I really dont care what degree you have or if its applicable to the discussion. Im just sharing my point of view. If you insist on reliability of systems. Ripping a CAN cable out of a system in operation. Is not a normal operational state/condition. Thats is a human error.
Combining that with non isolated CAN trancievers on questionable hardware… Still doesnt justify using a ground looped system. (Since that is an intentional incorrect installment)

Your statement about your being an electrical engineer seemed to me to have been introduced to intimidate, or to simply tell me to STFU and let the intelligent people make the decisions. If that was not your intent I apologise.

Regarding the topic let’s be clear. Do you agree that more hardware has hit the trash pile because of can bus failures than split ppm issues?

If you agree then I don’t see what the issue is other than the original design being faulty and NO manufacturer correcting the design flaw.

If you disagree then please produced numbers.

1 Like

Unless the introduced incorrect installation is more robust than the recommended one.

1 Like

You can do that with two receivers. Slave Vesc would need to check can status and switch to ppm if necessary. Lots of chances for new issues…
More complexity is not a guarantee for more reliability.
In reality a good ESC doesn’t simply blow.
And if you want that kind of redundancy, you would need a remote with two different split transceivers.

For maner:
Marketing on.
On our entire fleet of boards (25 Boards in constant abuse), not a single VESC gave up in three years. Offroad usage, dirt, mud, dust, jumping around…
Marketing off.

If they work, they work.

Congratulations I suppose. I only have 6 atm, of which only 1 uses split ppm.

My point is that you continually speaks as though the Trampa VESC is the only one that
exists and/or matters when in fact there are more FocBox’s currently in use than Trampa VESC 6, not to mention all the others.

When you offer advice you should be specific to the ESC. Your statement “split ppm is not advisable” is simple not true when speaking about reliability and longevity across all VESC variants.

1 Like

You are hopeless! Ground loop your systems if you feel that it’s adequate. For everyone else out there: DON’T do such stupid things.

Your a marketer and not an engineer. If you didn’t want people using split PPM then should have designed a better ESC, one that didn’t blow up when you disconnected can.

You cant argue the facts so you result to name calling, I’m not in the least bit surprised.

Great info and discussion, but, lets all get along. These threads are created for me and others to learn. I love it when discussions are broken down because it helps me learn and share with other people. These are my 3rd and 4th builds, my 2nd build (my personal everyday board) has been in PPM setting for almost 2 yrs. Not even once have i had any issues with PPM. I guess it just comes down to the person themselves deciding if to use CANBUS or PPM, either way as explained in this discussion, we are all taking a chance with both.
Thank you to all of you for sharing.

3 Likes

I use two remotes… it’s quite nice actually… hard to smoke a blunt n ride though…