Split PWM ("PPM") settings

There same disdain you feel for Jason’s tantrums I feel for Frank’s “facts”.

1 Like

Hes not wrong, its a ground loop. Dsnt mean it will instantly break tho. Ground loops are to be avoided but dsnt necessarly mean its harmful.

3 Likes

No one said it wasn’t, I said it’s as a volitile as split PPM and maybe more so.

Fair enough.
This is why in every cop show there is, the captain asks the detective to drop a case because he is too involved.

Feelings don’t make the best advisors.

1 Like

Yes he is wrong in that he claims split PPM is not advisable when there are many more instances of can bus causing issues. It’s a design flaw in can bus, that many people overcome by using split ppm successfully.

Then you still have a GND loop via the shared GND of the battery.

I didn’t bring up feelings, my feelings are fine. I’m a little offended that everytime Frank says something incorrect you guys bring up feelings. How about correcting the guy?

I’m simply correcting a misstatement made for marketing purposes.

1 Like

Never said anything about it not working :slight_smile: the fact that its a ground loop is correct. Its something you generally want to avoid. Especially concerning RF applications. If splitt ppm works for you then go ahead. I would never do it out of shear principle

And if you loose can connection while both vescs are powered you kill one of the vescs. Which is worse?

1 Like

Not ours, they are totally happy with that. We can run splitt battery, split switch, split power on.

1 Like

I never once said it wasn’t. I said…

In some VESC based designs, using split PPM can be a safer choice than using CAN.
In some others (Trampa VESC6 as well as a lot of others) this is not the best option.

Do you agree with that statement?

1 Like

Just proving my argument for me… Marketing

1 Like

Problem is: noobs buy stuff, noobs connect things together, things go poof. With tons of different HW available today, the chances to poof something because you do something others advise as safe is getting higher.

2 Likes

I agree with that statement.

1 Like

I realise that, but arguing that CAN, that is literally in every car in the world. Is a volatile interface. Just no.

1 Like

While that may be true what we are discussing is you saying split PPM is not advisable and can bus is completely reliable. That may be true for the Trampa VESC it I not true for the majority of VESCs so your statement is invalid and incorrect.

1 Like

I did that for you. Your loving it!

1 Like

The problem youre refering to then, is improper hardware implementation, thats a whole other thing.

1 Like

Have you ever read a thread where someone lost a vesc because of a can disconnect? There are lots of them.

Have you ever read a thread where someone lost a vesc because if split PPM? There’s 2 and it’s questionable.

1 Like