SPEEDBOARD - $23k on Kickstarter in one day

how do you avoid wheelbite while heavy turns?

And what holds the axial load inside the bar linkages?

5 Likes

@b264 @yelnats8j
So disappointed none of you did it
for
tenor

3 Likes

Looks awesome! And not too hard to DIY I guess.

Suspension??

Too expensive for me to buy, but the price is on point, would be down for Chase thoā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m impressed great job!
Youā€™ve managed to reduce rolling resistance without using hard wheels
thatā€™s impressive.

now Electric skateboards (if weā€™re calling it that) really seem superior to scooters in almost all aspects.

1 Like

+1 on this

3 Likes

Itā€™s likely because there isnā€™t enough force to turn the wheel hard enough during normal usage. You are leaning and the spring is doing itā€™s job keeping the wheel where it needs to be

5 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve been looking at the DaveGA, would love to integrate that for the odometer function alone. Would be really easy to mount it in a window in the polycarbonate deck.

I plan on having upgrade remote options, the problem with having one standard is everyone prefers different remotes. Hoyt just sent me a puck, Iā€™ll test that out in a few days.

10 Likes

Honestly looking at how Kickstarter is progressing now, if Iā€™d lined up suppliers for high-volume production it would have been a complete waste of time. The product is already 95% developed, it just needs one further design revision to be ready for production.

The purpose of Kickstarter for me is to accurately judge the size of the market so I can tailor the product to fit that market size. Itā€™s impossible to judge how many people are going to actually buy a product. So many companies go under by overestimating the market size.

5 Likes

We are planning on developing foot straps. We have a knobby tire option as well, and different sprocket options, these would be easy to show on Kickstarter, great idea.

Significantly larger tires will require a different scale for the steering arms, but thatā€™ll happen in the future. Ultimately I want a speedboard I can rip around on sand dunes with. Thatā€™s definitely even more niche than this version.

Iā€™m going to develop a race speedboard, aiming for 9 kW continuous, 15 kW peak, with a disk brake on the front wheel, so you nailed it. Obviously thisā€™ll be a more expensive limited model initially, and an R&D project to electronically integrate the front brake.

7 Likes

There will be adjustable stops on the production board, I just didnā€™t bother with the prototype. The tire only rubs at extremely low speed, full-lock turns (obviously), but it is something to prevent in production.

The arms pivot on high-load dry-lubricated bushings. The pins are 18-8 stainless steel shoulder bolts, with a shear strength that could hold an elephant.

1 Like

This is definitely coming on a future model. I was hoping to raise enough to develop it in parallel with the current version, and offer Kickstarter backers the opportunity to upgrade to the full-suspension model before they take delivery, but it doesnā€™t look like Iā€™ll get there. I will have a 6000 watt 8083 motor upgrade option though. I may include that as an extra tier.

5 Likes

Thank you for saying that, I wish it could be cheaper but itā€™s really a premium board. The next board I make will be significantly cheaper, aiming for $999-$1299. Smaller, lighter, more portable.

4 Likes

Thank you! Really proud of the board. Those tires are so amazing, endless grip on pavement, and we followed some OneWheel XR riders up a steep, winding, bumpy, dirt & gravel fire road last night no problem. May not be as fast as a lot of the DIY setups, but so incredibly versatile.

4 Likes

Exactly, under 99.9% of riding situations the tire is nowhere near the steering arms. Iā€™ve only had it rub during extremely tight, slow turns. Mainly just when making a u-turn.

6 Likes

Whatā€™s questionable about the construction? All the cells are spot-welded together into four 13s1p packs to keep them at 99 Wh, under the 100 Wh TSA/FAA limit. Balance leads soldered on, and the whole pack is wrapped in heavy-duty shrink tubing. Thatā€™s also one of the reasons I chose those cells, though I did order them in November 2017 so there are far more options available now. Plus, they put out 25 amps continuous.

1 Like

It looks like there is only 1 nickle strip of <10mmā€¦even if those are 0.2mm strips, they are still only good for maximum 10Aā€¦

Okay, the bushings take the stress in driving direction. But who takes the forces in vertical direction? They are the big forcesā€¦

1 Like

My only comment on the battery is they have no isolation between each cell, we had a few board catch fire due to the lack of that, thatā€™s why most people here encourage the use of fish paper between P groups

Since you are selling the place friendly point, you could do a PCB for each 10S1P batteries, connectors on the PCB and a case around the rest, the PCB with the connector would be one side on the box, similar how Hoyt does

4 Likes

Which one of you wrote this article?

3 Likes