SPEEDBOARD - $23k on Kickstarter in one day

If only you had access to a large group of experienced builders who you could sell boards to and get detailed feedback from via build threads

6 Likes

Man that sure would be nice!!

We have some recent test results that we’ll share ASAP, definitely would love to hear feedback.

Could use suggestions for:
18S BMS
Alternative large (>63100) motor options

We want to build individual 6s1p Molicel packs that connect together to form larger 18s2p packs. Ideally each 6s1p pack would have its own BMS, and then a secondary BMS which treats each 6s1p pack as a single higher voltage cell would balance those six packs. Suggestions?

4 Likes

LaCroix Boards is gearing up to release the Stormcore 100S and 100D. Going to be the HV standard for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

Yeah we got three 100S samples, installed one in the alpha prototype, they’re pretty amazing. There’s still some tuning to do though, we’re having electrical resonance issues near 95% duty cycle. Working with Jeff to sort it out.

3 Likes

You know what- I completely spaced and read BMS as ESC and went into autopilot. Apologies. Looks like you’re already on the right track.

The only off the shelf 18S BMS solutions I’ve seen are of the ebike variety- a lot are 18-24S variable, etc.

3 Likes

Sounds like someone has a case of the Thursdays.

I believe Jeff & Charles are working on an 18S smart BMS, will have to check in with them. Doubt it’d be ready for the Kickstarter boards though.

5 Likes

@Blasto is also exceedingly lazy due to being Canadian, so uphill battle there.

Pew pew Charles~

5 Likes

Shots fired!

1 Like

I’ve had decent luck with these #Aliexpress C$ 73.87 23%OFF | Smart 7S ~ 20S ANT Lifepo4 li-ion Lipo LTO Battery Protection Board BMS 400A 300A 100A 80A Bluetooth APP 10S 13S 14S 16S Balance

The software side of things could be nicer and I haven’t been able to get the precharge circuit to work properly yet (might just be a single faulty unit unsure).

2 Likes

These are groovy. With blue led when it’s charged per p group. Works on 2-24s
@Winfly can verify how low in s they can go. I took these pics. Wing sourced them originally

2 Likes

why r you bypassing it this way.

Do you suggest another way.

Directly from the battery is what most people do I think. Also typically the lights indicate when a p group is being bled by the resistors, not when they’re fully charged, at least with the Chinese BMS’s I’ve used.

2 Likes

I think he means the B- to P- bridge, unless I’m mistaken. Yeah Wing?

An I doing it wrong? I hate an exposed wire. This does the same thing but not compact. I guess I could just bridge the diode (s). And take them for the parts bin.

I hope I’m not shipping out batteries that will explode :pleading_face:

I’m going to preface this by saying that I could be wrong, because BMS are designed differently and I have no schematic to go off of, so this is educated guessing based on EE theory & my own experience with these.

These BMS are high-side common and control the low-side on charge input/discharge.

I don’t see any reason for bridging P- to B- as you don’t need to involve the discharge portion of the circuit at all (hence, bypass). Unless of course I’m missing something specific to how these BMS work when not operating at full Series capacity.

Maybe I should make a post. Cause this is how I’ve bypassed all my bms in the past. But I’m not a god and rely on others. . Sorry David for derailing your topic. Btw. Hurry up with my speedboard :heart_eyes:

1 Like

QC can be a bit hit or miss, but they are known for being fairly powerful

1 Like
2 Likes