SPEEDBOARD - $23k on Kickstarter in one day

We won’t know until we get our hands on it. But we have some pretty creative folks around here.

8 Likes

NeoBox speedboard? :eyes:

6 Likes

Definitely need to test one out.

6 Likes

For the average joe yes. But lots of users on here build their own batteries, buy cells in bulk, have spare decks, escs, batteries, parts laying around.

8 Likes

This thing is fun to ride

16 Likes

What is that, a speedboard for ants? It needs to be at least three times bigger than that.

5 Likes

I would love a rolling chassis too, If I bought one pre-built, I would ask for minimum of 1000-1500Wh battery, less care of cell size, 80xx motor is for sure, almost certainly belt drive (I cannot stand chain drive noise), 2 sets of gearing, one with a top speed of 30mph for offroad, one with 50ish for on road, nice reliable ESC and controller with telemetry. And comes in purple.

You had it going strong @BluPenguin. I thought you were actually serious until:

:checkered_flag: I am being sarcastic

2 Likes

I’m so serious tho. Ano purple rails would be :ok_hand:

4 Likes

How about you buy his complete and mod the purple out of it?
Aint that your thing? :wink:

2 Likes

If he doesn’t offer a chassis, then I’ll probably do that when they’re in stock to ship :joy: Already have an idea what I’m going to do with it.

4 Likes

Corrected that for you :wink:

6 Likes

Now you’re giving me ideas.

2 Likes

Purple & gold is an amazing color combination. I think you’re onto something.

For cell size, I’m looking at upgrading to 21700, but I want to keep it a single layer to maintain flex characteristics & ground clearance. This limits it to ~600 Wh, but that would give me ~40 mile range at 20 mph average, and easily over 20 miles when flogging it.

What do you think about having an auxiliary pack that can bolt onto the deck? That’s the easiest way to add significantly more battery without compromising ground clearance.

5 Likes

An optional top mounted pack would be amazing. Tack on another 400-600Wh and there’s potential for something amazing.

5 Likes

Did you give the dual stack option some proper thought? It might not be so bad. You might even be able to shorten the board a bit.

3 Likes

This, a dual stack 18650 option would only add a little over 10mm to thickness to single 21700 with better power density/capacity and still as flexible as you choose. Perhaps a design where the frame fits around a 21700 but spacer option to add a tiny bit of height to accommodate a dual stack 18650?

3 Likes

I have. I’ve even had some trapezoidal sheet aluminum trays made to fit a 7 top 6 bottom 18650 stack. It eats into ground clearance a lot. That being said, I’ve never bottomed out on my single layer board, so it’s possible I could get away with less clearance. I do ride it in far more extreme terrain than the average DIY board, though, with massive chunks of rocks on dirt roads, so ground clearance is important.

As far as length is concerned, that’s more dictated by necessary wheelbase to give the optimal stance width. Less so by battery capacity.

2 Likes

This is certainly possible. I could make a formed enclosure that drops between & below the frame rails to add volume. Is there a reason you’d prefer this over a deck-top battery case? It would look sleek in comparison, but every mm less ground clearance makes a big difference. 10mm would probably eliminate speed bump & driveway ramp compatibility.

3 Likes

What about going about that issue with a larger tire size option? (and a bigger spur gear to match)

My biggest thing with a top mount battery is that it’s going on a board that will fall over every time you get off it. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is. But that extra weight above the deck may either flip the whole board over every time, or at the least cause significantly bigger shock to the battery pack vs being inline with the chassis. Below the chassis would be even less inertia. And being that I can definitely see that board rolling down a hill, I would rather have all electronics tucked away between protective rails than sticking up like a thumb. So if I had a preference I would much rather a larger tray than a tack on.