SPEEDBOARD - $23k on Kickstarter in one day

1 Like

That actually looks pretty nice. Wonder what cells they’re using.

Never really understood the appeal of a 2 wheel design like this personally

2 Likes

It’s stable, surfy, leans with you into turns, and is very cool :+1:

3 Likes

My boards do all of that!

Wait…so I am getting my Jedboard? :partying_face:

3 Likes

You need to check @Flyboy 's latest build.

8 Likes

:nauseated_face: :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I’ve seen it and don’t get me wrong, that’s a seriously awesome build. No offense intended whatsoever. I just feel like an esk8 with big wheels and big battery can accomplish all of the same things arguably better. I could be wrong, never ridden a Speedboard style ride before.

2 Likes

Sorry, let me clarify. You’re right that all skateboards have those qualities to some degree, but bikeboards turn them up 10 or 20 notches.

The steering sensitivity goes down as speed increases, so they actually feel more planted and easier to ride as you go faster. And speed wobbles are next to impossible, so you never have to worry about your weight distribution. These benefits are a trade-off with the fact that turning at low speed is a more delicate balancing act, and they’re more demanding to ride since your lower legs need to do work to keep the board upright.

If you like riding with loose bushings, bikeboards feel like riding with no bushings. You get huge amounts of lean with the only feedback being the grip forces generated at the contact patches. Very surfy.

Also, the feel you get from hitting a corner is more like that of a bike, compared to the more car-like feel from a skateboard. Your body and the board lean into the corner together as a unit, and you compress into it, instead of the more lateral forces on a skateboard. But that’s all a matter of taste.

My decision to use a huge battery and wheels totally could have applied to either a skateboard or a bikeboard, but I chose the bikeboard just because of all of the handling stuff.

10 Likes

Damn, thanks for looking out. Price jumps March 1. Which year tho?

2 Likes

Well, I guess that a broken Kickstarter will sell you the right promotion once a year

1 Like

8 Likes

That makes a lot of sense, thank you. Seems like it would be ideal for high speed straightaways, that sort of thing.

2 Likes

Yeah, certainly. And I would say it also lends itself more to the motoGP kind of maneuvering than the slalom-y kind that skateboards are good at. You can turn hard, but not as suddenly.

4 Likes

seems like P42A

Personally, I’d be surprised if they used cells that expensive in this board. Is that kind of performance even needed here?

1 Like

definitely not needed, most esk8 brands using these cells nowadays are using them because of the positive feelings towards the molicel brand. For example, who here actually thinks the meepo hurricane, a lingyi board, needs 160A of continuous discharge :eyes:

544Wh does check out to be a 12s4p p42a pack

I get different numbers…12S3P of 4200mAh cells.

The P42A is 4000mAh though but perhaps they made the common mistake of thinking it was 4200mAh. Blindingly silly for a manufacturer to do that if true. The frakkin’ datasheet is easy to find and read.

Or, they’re using someone else’s 4200mAh cell.

2 Likes

i am personally aware that p42a are 4000mAh, strictly speaking, most of the A grade cells are between 4030mAh and 4080mAh. However, they market it as a 4.2Ah cell, which invites a lot of other brands to do the same.

Molicel isn’t the only ones doing this as well, we got the 30Q, the 50E and the LG50MT as well.

1 Like

True…very silly of them.
So maybe a 3P pack of P42A (or other roughly 4200mAh cell).

1 Like