Spectre| Hummie Deck| Haggy Drive System| 2x 6374 190kv| 12s?p| Bergmeister and pepe wheels

Hey guys been doing research for a while for my second board and finally remembered to make an account on this forum rather than just lurking after moving from builders.

Background:

I built my first murder board in around may of last year, and while it was an awesome experience, I almost immediately wanted more. I built it on a budget (as most of us often do) but the specs quickly felt subpar and the design was obviously that of a rookie. So, I’ve set my sights on building a true spec’d out board and have been setting aside cash to build it.

Goals:

Obviously I want as sleek and aesthetic of a board as possible, especially after the debacle of jank that was my first one. The hill grades around me can get fairly steep but aren’t impossible, firm braking and steady acceleration and speed are a priority. I’m naming it spectre since I’m planning on playing off the hummie CF skin and using white/silver accents to give it a ghost-y look.

First off, budget: I’ve set aside 2k USD for this build not counting for my Safety gear and misc parts like xt-90’s, wiring, etc.

Parts List:

1. Deck: Hummie
  2. Enclosure: Thinking about commissioning @bigben if he still takes them
  3. Drive Train: Haggy Drive Train 190kv
  4. Controller: Hoyt Puck Midnight

Things I still need to finalize:

1. VESC: I really wanted to use a unity in this build but I missed out on the chance to pick one up before the distributor stopped carrying them :/. I’ve been looking at the Flipsky FSESC 6.6 dual, but I know there are some community opinions on it, could I get some opinions on a good option?
  2. Battery: Looking at a custom-built Li-ion pack either from a trusted builder (ideally nearby, so if anyone knows an NJ battery builder lmk). Or doing it myself because that seems like a worthy challenge, however, I’d need a decent amount of research and prep time because I don’t want to blow myself up. Definitely going to be 12s, but probably 5p-8p depending on the price I can get it for and if I end up building it myself where it’d be much cheaper and I can source genuine cells.

Inspirations for the build:

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/el-toro-12s4p-190kv-hummie-wood-carbon-deck/62539/2

Thanks for reading, let me know if you have any input or questions. I’m going to start picking up parts soon and I’ll keep the thread up to date with what I get.

4 Likes

Welcome, former lurker. You’re starting off with a solid list. Flipsky qc is hit or miss so I’d avoid it. Original Focboxes are tried and true, unitys are working well but have questionable future support, vesc6 is solid but expensive, or take a gamble on flipsky’s QC.

Or just wait a bit and see how the slew of new escs coming out this spring/summer perform.

Go for the biggest p pack you can fit. You won’t regret it.

Oh yeah, more inspiration but you have to pretend it’s 12s. That… was a mistake.

3 Likes

Some more inspiration.

6 Likes

Haha, you’re my inspiration :heart_eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes

Woah! beautiful builds man. Where’d you pick up your cells and do you have any favorite resources for learning battery building?

1 Like

First off, nice build, love the skinning by sender. Yikes, I just looked at the VESC6 and lord that is pricey. There aren’t any places to get Focboxes other than used on the marketplace right? Do’ya have any recommendations for buying used in terms of making sure the parts work etc?

These new vescs you mention sound promising, any chance you have products or user names for me to follow?

Only used Focboxes yes. People horde them and sometime sell them so I’d keep an eye out. Personally I’d only buy one if it wasn’t actually used or only used for a bit.

Torqueboards, Lacroix, neobox, the sequel to the unity (better be called the 2nity), I’ll add others as I remember.

2 Likes

Thanks man appreciate it. 2nity would be hilarious for sure.
I’ll take a look at these when I get home.

Unfortunately there’s not much to look up except the neobox has some details. The other 3 have remained quiet about their projects. Bit of a dry spell going on at the moment unless you want to pay the price for a vesc6.

Read it all and you’ll be enlightened. Then pick your way of doing it.

The cells for my builds were bought from nkon.

Nowadays fogstar wholesale seems to be cheaper.

1 Like

What about the Maker X Go Foc V6? I know that model is relatively new and mostly untested - but initial reports about their lower tier offerings have been positive. My understanding is that EB Maker has these ready-to-ship and they look promising to me.

1 Like

The maker x, focers, escapes, and others all run together for me as one offs that I don’t see used very often. I haven’t tested them personally but I’ll take your positive recommendation.

1 Like