Spark Air || A Newbie's work || Trampa e-MTB DIY

Hello world, I wanted to share some pictures and knowledge about my first DIY build! I made this with only 3 months of experience in the Eskate world, so I am rather proud of this achievement.

Build this with little/no experience whatsoever

On March 19th, 2019 I received my first electric skateboard, the Backfire G2T, but after a few months of usage, it just wasn’t enough for my need. I envied more range, more performance, and more comfort out of my mobility vehicle.
The ironic part of this is that my first board lasted around 3 months before I craved something more powerful. I really hope this build will last me longer than that… Fast forward to the beginning of July, I already planned this build and started to buy the first parts.

The main reason for this switch would be that the roads in Paris are terrible and most of them have cobblestone on it which makes it really impractical to ride on them using longboard wheels. But I mostly got influenced by a friend (Thanks Benjamin ^^) that also had a Trampa that looks amazing. The first time I rode his mountainboard, I was charmed by the comfort of the whole thing, it felt like riding on clouds compared to my hub wheels, and the range, oh… the range was just insane, 30-40km without the worry of running out of juice, compared to my Backfire which has around 15km of range if I ride hard on it.

That’s when I’ve decided to go on a DIY path, where it would be more interesting to learn to build and solve problems rather than buying another prebuilt. I also found out that the false economy didn’t really apply to my case, as it was cheaper for me to go this way.

Parts:

Images

2020 Upgrade time!

I added a Metr.pro for better data gathering, and to be able to change the settings of the board directly on iOs. But while doing this, I accidentally touched 2 wrong pins which completely killed one of my focboxes. (Still haven’t received a replacement yet.)

As I already have a flipsky vx1 on one of my uart port, I bought a Usplit to be able to split my uart connection over two accessories, a Metr.pro and an upcoming Davega X.

Here comes the Davea X, what a beauty. The aluminum case is just so beautiful, the dark anodizing finish is amazing, and it has that nice premium feel to it. Unfortunately, this device is quite rare to find at the moment, I ordered this one mid-October and got it in January.

Upgraded my night riding conditions in the front with some amazingly bright lights bought on Aliexpress. Those are named Solarstorm if anyone wants to replicate this. Those are both mounted with elastic bands on top of a bull bar. The bull bar is itself mounted to some 3D printed truck adapters for my Trampa trucks.
Both of the main lights are connected to a power bank.
The “position” light as I would call it is also another light from Aliexpress, but this time with an integrated battery, mounted to a 3D printed part on my vertigo truck. This light could work in front, or in the back if you go for the red option.

Trampa Bullbar spacer
Trampa vertigo truck light mount

Why not add some Alterbags to the mix to help me carry this beast around. The whole board weighs about 15kg, it’s not pleasant to carry that much weight on your back, but it’s doable. If you ever go into some crowded areas with stairs, it’s probably better to carry it this way than by hands.

Brand new Flipsky 6374 Pro Motors, yet unreleased. They probably tested these before sending them to me as there is dirt on them. I really like the colors, these beauties come in gold and silver, there is no other like this.

To sum this up, this laser light mounts perfectly on my IdeaTB motor mounts. This light could be remotely controlled to make turning sings, or to leave a laser trail behind you.
The extra spoiler is added for improving downforce, why not after all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20 Likes

Good first build. You should really cover the holes in the deck with epoxy. Grip tape will fail and you don’t want to lose your battery to that.

1 Like

Is it locite epoxy?

@Andy87

5 Likes

Some more pictures of my board along with an updated topic.

9 Likes

Great effort for a first build! Also agree that those holes should be epoxied for best watertightness

2 Likes

Nice build, I would suggest waterproofing everything, you do not want water or humidity building up inside the enclosure…I use a lot of sealant for glass exposed to bad weather and UV light…You could use the sealant that’s made for car windshield, and heavy epoxy the plugs (switches, charging port, cable channel, etc…) to the enclosure… Always rain on me at Paris…

1 Like

I was thinking to buy some large duct tape, and tape it between my battery and my deck. Using a duck tape with a rubber sheet added on top of it to have a maximum of water resistance. Would something like this work? image
The width of this would be 20cm, which would be way enough for sealing the enclosure.

Than will secure a little bit more the battery, but you need to conformal coating the electrical parts, fuse, connectors, etc…

This is my @eboosted 12s8p, I used shrink tube, not to protect agains water, but to put extra strength velcro to secure the battery to the enclosure.

I use this stuff (acrylic coating for electrical connectors, pcb, etc…)

Then I use epoxy to secure connectors like the xt90 against the enclosure, and the charger port…

After, I seal the external exposed areas with the acrylic coating

And at last I use silicon for windows, almost same of the product to seal windshields, all around the enclosure, bolts, wire channels , every little hole…Also I use loctite and seal both sizes of the inserts (which I epoxy to the deck)…

After that, I keep myself paranoid about cutting my balls if I need to open the enclosure again…

3 Likes

Do you have a link to what did you fit here?

I am already a bit paranoid because I have already closed my adhesive on the enclosure and one battery inside of my enclosure came out loose from the hot glue applied on it. So when I ride, I hear it bang against the enclosure when going on rough surfaces.
Thanks for your advice, I think one day once I receive the tape, I am going to open everything again and do the battery part a bit better.

If something is lose on your battery don’t put it on a later date. Open up the thing and get everything sorted out.
Later can be too late very quickly with batteries.

2 Likes

That is a rubber gasket, you could buy rubber of 6mm and cut it to the shape. Do not use it to cover the entire enclosure from the inside, because it will work again the battery wen it flex and might damage it.

Bro, if something it is loose, open it and fix it, hot glue it is not for securing such a big battery…Otherwise you will be cutting you balls for real…Fire hazard it is no joke at all and it could happen…Please do it ASAP…Use extra strength double side tape at least…

1 Like

Shameless bump :shushing_face::upside_down_face:
Updated

• Topic
  • Added more Images

Almost on 1000km with this thing! Damn, the km goes up quickly on this.

2 Likes

What app and bt module do you use? I kinda like the interface of this one!

1 Like

I am currently using a flipsky bluetooth module.
You will need an Iphone for that app, https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/xmatic-electric-skateboard/id1382937037 It’s this one, and the UI feels really nice, it doesn’t have all the data logging features of a metr.pro, but you can connect it to this (I think you have that module right?).
The app developer isn’t that much active, so most of the features to change parameters aren’t working because of my new firmware. I use it to keep track of my mileage and battery level each time I go out.

Thanks for sharing all the pics! True dedication building that whole thing on the ground without a table to work on! Like playing with Legos on the living room floor again :slight_smile: excellent work!

1 Like

2020 Upgrade time!

I added a Metr.pro for better data gathering, and to be able to change the settings of the board directly on iOs. But while doing this, I accidentally touched 2 wrong pins which completely killed one of my focboxes. (Still haven’t received a replacement yet.)

As I already have a flipsky vx1 on one of my uart port, I bought a Usplit to be able to split my uart connection over two accessories, a Metr.pro and an upcoming Davega X.

Here comes the Davea X, what a beauty. The aluminum case is just so beautiful, the dark anodizing finish is amazing, and it has that nice premium feel to it. Unfortunately, this device is quite rare to find at the moment, I ordered this one mid-October and got it in January.

Upgraded my night riding conditions in the front with some amazingly bright lights bought on Aliexpress. Those are named Solarstorm if anyone wants to replicate this. Those are both mounted with elastic bands on top of a bull bar. The bull bar is itself mounted to some 3D printed truck adapters for my Trampa trucks.
Both of the main lights are connected to a power bank.
The “position” light as I would call it is also another light from Aliexpress, but this time with an integrated battery, mounted to a 3D printed part on my vertigo truck. This light could work in front, or in the back if you go for the red option.

Trampa Bullbar spacer
Trampa vertigo truck light mount

Why not add some Alterbags to the mix to help me carry this beast around. The whole board weighs about 15kg, it’s not pleasant to carry that much weight on your back, but it’s doable. If you ever go into some crowded areas with stairs, it’s probably better to carry it this way than by hands.

Brand new Flipsky 6374 Pro Motors, yet unreleased. They probably tested these before sending them to me as there is dirt on them. I really like the colors, these beauties come in gold and silver, there is no other like this.

To sum this up, this laser light mounts perfectly on my IdeaTB motor mounts. This light could be remotely controlled to make turning sings, or to leave a laser trail behind you.
The extra spoiler is added for improving downforce, why not after all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’ll try to upload some of these upgrades to my YouTube channel, if you have some time check it out as I have recently reached 1k subscribers!
www.youtube.com/c/TheFlyingStan

2 Likes

Since most of us are at home during the quarantine, why not show our builds on video and explain/show all our parts?
I mean I wasn’t really technical in this video, but here’s the idea.

I did something like this, and I would be happy to see if anyone else will post their video builds!
Not creating a new topic, perhaps not worth it if no one is doing this?
6 Likes

Great video! I like the idea, more people should show off their boards like this! In a video you can see much better how powerful the lights are :slight_smile:

Is it possible to remove the round plastic mounts from the front lights? (Thinking of putting them on top of my baseplates somehow, thanks for the recommendation!)

Edit: Found the answer to my own question; the bottom mount is held on by a single screw. I’ll just use a piece of sheet metal then to achieve my goal :smile:
Edit 2: The red variant of the light doesn’t actually shine red. Dang it.

2 Likes