šŸ‘¾ Space Invader - Venom's 4th Build

I had been getting weird noise from of of my motor temp sensors right after updating to 5.2 FW and rerunning motor detection.

Someone mentioned 5.2 wasnā€™t handling the dual esc sensors well so I had blamed that. When rewiring the new stormcore 60d+, I noticed the temp sensor wire was hanging on like a loose tooth and the 5v line was snapped entirely.

Motor temps arenā€™t getting too crazy but are a smidge hot at the very end of a hard ride.

Iā€™m at a point where Iā€™m dropping to 8" tires for a bit more torque at the sacrifice of top speed but if when I build another board, it will likely be something that can rip my shoes off and still hit 50-60 mph. Just watching the rest of the HV Guinea pigs. The 4wd thought crossed my mind for sure though to be able to rip off the line with 9" wheels. Wouldnā€™t be hard to add another box up top.

6 Likes

Damn, I canā€™t wait to see your next build. What would the set up be? Iā€™m in the middle of mine now and would love to get great torque and a 35-40 top end on it.

1 Like

I can climb everything Iā€™ve tried so far so this build has been more than adequate. The ability to start from a stop on a steep hill and rip up the rest of it is where I could use a bit of improvement. I need to get a torque metric in an esk8 calculator so I can see where Iā€™m at now and have a baseline. Motors are so different brand to brand and there are so many settings to account for.

3 Likes

Sounds like your ride is badass still you just got used to it, Iā€™ll definitely be curious what your next build will be.

How do you the APS motors compared to other brands?

1 Like

Performing similarly to maytech so far

3 Likes

Wait, Iā€™m confusedā€¦ What changed? I thought your last post with high ESC temperatures was also with the heat-sink?

1 Like

Nope! That was the before.

Before heat sink - 75Ā° F day

After heat sink - 75Ā° F day

I expected 10-20Ā° C drop, not a 40-50Ā° C difference. More testing to be done but Iā€™m happy so far.

8 Likes

Didnā€™t you swap to 60d+ at the same time? Or am I mistaken

1 Like

Yep. Someone mentioned it may have better thermals but I havenā€™t seen it mentioned.

2 Likes

If thatā€™s not proof they really work, good job!!

3 Likes

Bumped into a dude flying his drone around the end of our group ride. Itā€™s cool to see the criss cross route from above.

4 Likes

Sick build ! To the MOOOOOON ! :robot:

1 Like

Got a random drv fault the other day. Didnā€™t feel any weirdness at that point in time of the ride though.

Took everything apart and found no weirdness in my cabling so weā€™ll see what happens I guess.

BUT WAIT. I noticed that if I held the motor can and turned the wheel, there was a slight bit of movement going from forward to back like my motor gear was slipping. It was maybe a half degree of movement and Iā€™m sure I wouldnā€™t notice it much during a ride but I was in a tear apart and fix shit mood anyway. My motor shaft had about 5mm of keyway still unused so I took 1/8" key stock, loctited, and force guided it into the gap with a hammer and a nail set. The rotation is gone and we will see if random drv faults continue.

Straight cut gears still look great. There was a tiny bit of plastic shaving this time but no where near as much as when I broke them in and opened them up the firsy time. Regreased and cleaned and ready to roll.

4 Likes

dude.
I wanna go ride thereā€¦

1 Like

Man it gets so much cooler too. I wish he flew the whole route. Come visit sometime :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Rode my favorite route up and down the banks a few times today. This fall weather is perfect.

There is a grass feature of a bunch of small tight mounds and Iā€™ve always wondered if my board would fit.

Nope :sweat_smile: it was like hitting a 80Ā° ramp and I nose dived.

It was so open in the parks with no home football or baseball games going on

Didnā€™t expect this dude to be swinging this hard

One section of the beautiful route here:

14 Likes

wow! nice project!!

2 Likes

A year with no updates. Wah wah.

Ok. Here we go.

This board has earned such a special spot in my heart. Itā€™s a freaking tank.

Fall

Had some great night rides with friends.

Visited @longhairedboy and got to meet @Razillian and @kai, good times were had.

Winter

This board even held up through the awesome winter we had this year!

They drained the lake to about 3ft deep and it froze over so I had to see what skating it would be likeā€¦

ZERO traction.

Spring

I drive it through water all the time just for funzies because I dare it to die.

Summer

Warm weather brings the zooms

Dry days and plush grass make for perfect mixed rides

Switched my front hanger over to @moonā€™s matrix 2 replacements to try out along with his urethane kingpin bushings for them.

Nice and sturdy, holding up great, the replacement bushings took out a fair amount of slop from the baseplates.

By this time, I was still unsure if I was going to make it to Carvepdx 2022. My wife is due with our child literally any day now so I begged for one last hurrah before Iā€™m back on Dad duty again. Tickets and flights were a nightmare but it all worked out in the end.

Got to hang with @Savage1 and @J0ker on my layover on the way there :call_me_hand:

Had an awesome trip and got to put faces to tons of fine folks here, even some not so fine ones!

And on my way home, I had another big layover and got to meet up and skate with @PedroMcJimenez and @whaddys!

Trying to avoid the itch to go higher voltage until the escs get a bit more reliable and predictable, especially during weird supply times. Drv-less escs may be the hot topic of the next year.

Overall another great year for this board. Minor maintenance issues kept me riding as much as possible.

Got to invade a lot of spaces this year, looking forward to more :space_invader:

25 Likes

3615 km or 2245 mi since robogotchi got installed :partying_face:

9 Likes

You forgot a picture lol.

Was great seeing you again brotha. We definitely need to do it again. With more people and more sk8s lol.

10 Likes