šŸ‘¾ Space Invader - Venom's 4th Build

Oooh interesting. Iā€™d prop up the motorized end and tow it backwards so the front wheels are just free rolling and not dragging. I like it and will do a test.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, duh. Casters on the rear truck. Much better idea.

1 Like

Did the purple route the other day!

35 miles total of gorgeous river routes that eventually dumped me into farmland I recognized from when I was a kid. I had made it to my parents neck of the woods! I couldnā€™t believe Iā€™d gone that far and looked at my map to check. Sure enough, I was right near the gun range I learned to shoot at when I was a kid.

These there-and-back trips have been great but I want to try a 35 mile ride down to Cincinnati. Itā€™s a 40 minute drive for me normally but will leave me on almost empty when I get there so Iā€™ll need to meet my wife down there for a ride home.

Super stoked because this route goes through the observatory too which is a gorgeous area.

Photo drop

11 Likes

There is only one answer, you need a bigger battery so you can do all that and never worry about

Gorgeous place to ride

3 Likes

Or a bigger backpackā€¦:thinking:
Nice route Justin! :+1::+1:

2 Likes

What motor temp are you getting? Iā€™m curious if your next step will be to go high voltage, 4WD, or maybe dual super-single?

1 Like

I had been getting weird noise from of of my motor temp sensors right after updating to 5.2 FW and rerunning motor detection.

Someone mentioned 5.2 wasnā€™t handling the dual esc sensors well so I had blamed that. When rewiring the new stormcore 60d+, I noticed the temp sensor wire was hanging on like a loose tooth and the 5v line was snapped entirely.

Motor temps arenā€™t getting too crazy but are a smidge hot at the very end of a hard ride.

Iā€™m at a point where Iā€™m dropping to 8" tires for a bit more torque at the sacrifice of top speed but if when I build another board, it will likely be something that can rip my shoes off and still hit 50-60 mph. Just watching the rest of the HV Guinea pigs. The 4wd thought crossed my mind for sure though to be able to rip off the line with 9" wheels. Wouldnā€™t be hard to add another box up top.

6 Likes

Damn, I canā€™t wait to see your next build. What would the set up be? Iā€™m in the middle of mine now and would love to get great torque and a 35-40 top end on it.

1 Like

I can climb everything Iā€™ve tried so far so this build has been more than adequate. The ability to start from a stop on a steep hill and rip up the rest of it is where I could use a bit of improvement. I need to get a torque metric in an esk8 calculator so I can see where Iā€™m at now and have a baseline. Motors are so different brand to brand and there are so many settings to account for.

3 Likes

Sounds like your ride is badass still you just got used to it, Iā€™ll definitely be curious what your next build will be.

How do you the APS motors compared to other brands?

1 Like

Performing similarly to maytech so far

3 Likes

Wait, Iā€™m confusedā€¦ What changed? I thought your last post with high ESC temperatures was also with the heat-sink?

1 Like

Nope! That was the before.

Before heat sink - 75Ā° F day

After heat sink - 75Ā° F day

I expected 10-20Ā° C drop, not a 40-50Ā° C difference. More testing to be done but Iā€™m happy so far.

8 Likes

Didnā€™t you swap to 60d+ at the same time? Or am I mistaken

1 Like

Yep. Someone mentioned it may have better thermals but I havenā€™t seen it mentioned.

2 Likes

If thatā€™s not proof they really work, good job!!

3 Likes

Bumped into a dude flying his drone around the end of our group ride. Itā€™s cool to see the criss cross route from above.

4 Likes

Sick build ! To the MOOOOOON ! :robot:

1 Like

Got a random drv fault the other day. Didnā€™t feel any weirdness at that point in time of the ride though.

Took everything apart and found no weirdness in my cabling so weā€™ll see what happens I guess.

BUT WAIT. I noticed that if I held the motor can and turned the wheel, there was a slight bit of movement going from forward to back like my motor gear was slipping. It was maybe a half degree of movement and Iā€™m sure I wouldnā€™t notice it much during a ride but I was in a tear apart and fix shit mood anyway. My motor shaft had about 5mm of keyway still unused so I took 1/8" key stock, loctited, and force guided it into the gap with a hammer and a nail set. The rotation is gone and we will see if random drv faults continue.

Straight cut gears still look great. There was a tiny bit of plastic shaving this time but no where near as much as when I broke them in and opened them up the firsy time. Regreased and cleaned and ready to roll.

4 Likes

dude.
I wanna go ride thereā€¦

1 Like