Some small questions i didnt want to make into their own topic

Hey guys,

I have some small questions but I didn’t want to make them into their own topic so here they are

• What is the max charge current for vtc6? I kinda want to have an “instant” charger for long rides with no breaks (SOLVED)
  • Do hub motors use less battery power? (SOLVED)
  • What are the best screws to mount the enclosures to the deck? link if possible thanks
  • I bought this wire from amazon for my deck, how much current can it hold? i couldn’t find this on the current chart
  • Can i lay the wires on the deck and grip tape directly on top? or should i put some kapton tape or something in between (SOLVED)

that’s all i have on mind for today, thanks for the answers

1 Like

Most of these are quite complicated questions to which you could probably find answers to if you searched and read a lot on this forum :laughing:

Most poeple (including Boosted) put Kapton tape overtop. I might even take it a step further and epoxy them in if I was expecting to ride in the rain.

If I were you I wouldn’t charge my battery pack from empty to full at more than the fast charge rate specified by the manufacturer. For the VTC6 that appears to be 5A continuous. So that’s a full charge in 36 minutes TOPS. If you want faster, you should go for a different cell chemistry. Lithium Titanate batteries have very fast charging times :slight_smile:

4 Likes

5A? I have a fast charger I’m planning on always using at 6 amps for my 10s4p. Is that too much?

I wasn’t planning on routing them but I’ll put the tape on top

5a per P. so 4x5 = 20a. Life is too short. charge them as fast as you need to.

4 Likes

Oh ok so 12ah/20=0.6 and 60x0.6=36 min fastest if i use an xt60 and not my normal charge port

1 Like

Yes but the balancing part takes time and the last 20% will never charge at 20a anyway. You are probably looking at an hour. 20a will take you to 80% in half hour.

2 Likes

oh ok thats still fine. but is it bad to charge that high?

The slower you charge, the better. So you have to decide for yourself.

3 Likes

Right

hub motors can be more efficient and use less battery if you accelerate slowly and dont do hills otherwise gears are more efficient.

1 Like

Ok cool

And if my belt is longer do I lose power?

Don’t see how a longer belt would lose power. Actually if it’s long it would need a big pulley and generally the bigger gear ratio the more efficient unless u accelerate at a snail pace. Hubs are generally not as efficient for this same reason. Asking for torque from a motor, and not your gearing, costs

That braided wire u linked can do a lot. Figure it’s weight and u can compare that way or by volume

2 Likes

like its weight like pounds?

What are the best screws to mount the enclosures to the deck? link if possible thanks

I personally like countersunk washers like these with the appropriate bolt/screw.

Anything M3 and up works depending on how many bolts you plan on using and if the battery and electronics are deck mounted or supported by the enclosure.
Mine is mounted with the red countersunk washers to not crack my fiberglass enclosure, and 10 m4 torx head bolts, hex works fine too but I prefer torx head screws because they strip less easily. Just make sure you get stainless steel screws, and not electroplated stuff.

Yes but the balancing part takes time and the last 20% will never charge at 20a anyway. You are probably looking at an hour. 20a will take you to 80% in half hour.

You can ocasionally fast charge like this without balancing, just dont use it as your primary means of charging, if its only used to fast charge just before a ride, and you balance charge the cells regularly this shouldnt hurt. I do it all the time, but have a BMS that balances even when not charging, meaning its actively balanced even off the charger.

1 Like

Ok cool

Where can I get those? I’m also using a fiberglass enclosure (I think) (eBoosted 10s4p vanguard)

1 Like

Wouldn’t that mean it would need to discharge through the bms?

Screws can either be orderded online or bought locally, depending on where you live amazon might also have good options. I know aliexpress has the washers, hobbyking has them and I’m pretty sure amazon does too.

As for the BMS. Yes, its an 80A LTT Smart BMS and I discharge through it.

1 Like

Oh ok ok not building my battery so I wouldn’t know. I also don’t have that much space so the smart one he had planned didn’t fit.

Also, can you send pics of your build enclosures if possible?

Board is in pieces right now unfortunately, when I get my new hangers this week I’ll take pictures. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok that’s fine haha