Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

Awe. Well too bad. Would rather send my money your way.

2 Likes

Order placed for revision of Little FOCer :slight_smile:

16 Likes

I’ve got an application that could use that.

36 kW brushless motor for an aircraft. It came with a Sevcon but I hear they are a bitch to program.

3 Likes

Yeah SEVCON is notorious for that. I’d like to challenge them one day with that higher powered controller I spoke of. Gotta get these smaller ones mastered and done first though.

3 Likes

If you ever go that route let me know.

This is a repurposed electric motorcycle engine and it is a long term project.

2 Likes

I’ll just leave this here. Let’s see who can interpret this :slight_smile:

23 Likes

You have to be proud of you! Really impressing achievement

5 Likes

Congratulations :confetti_ball::champagne::tada::balloon:

4 Likes

Looks like you’re meassuring the ringing on the rising edge?
Can’t really tell where Y1 is but delta seems to be 7.2V. (guessing Y1 is the flat part after the ringing)
So a 7.2V ringing of maybe 100ns on 20S ?

Hard to tell how long one peroid is but your DIV looks like 500ns? Frequency is definatly in the kHz area but can’t say more than that :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Ah we have someone who made an attempt! Not bad btw @linsus .

This is a scope shot of the low-side MOSFET turnoff with the Vds (green) and Vgs (purple) waveforms. Battery voltage is 88.8V(Y1 cursor) and the spike goes up to Y2 (96V). So only a 7.2V spike with a 88.8V voltage supply at 50A FOC(this is a bit above the maximum operating voltage for users. Don’t try this!)

MOSFET turnoff is generally when voltage spikes happen. It is directly proportional to how much current is flowing (motor current) and how fast it is being turned off. If you slam MOSFETs on and off, then you increase the magnitude of the spike. Turning them on and off a wee bit slower reduces this spike and therefore risks of problems. The tradoff of turning on/off the MOSFETs slower is increased switching losses which leads to a bit more heating. I think I’ve found a decent balance though since this controller is only mean’t for less than 50kHz switching frequency at the moment.

14 Likes

No idea what it is, but everyone else liked it and it appears to be a good thing.

11 Likes

In summary, the Little FOCer seems to be ok running 50A FOC at 88V on the bench. I’m still advertising to not run above 20S (84V) though.

15 Likes

Haha, if you had a picture of where the probes where, I’d be able to make a more specific assumption xD

3 Likes

Thanks for that, and congrats!

3 Likes

Fair enough!

I wish other hardware developers would post these kind of waveforms somewhere…

4 Likes

Looking forward to see them pretties running in builds! GG!

2 Likes

Most stuff I probe has an NDA attatched to it :man_shrugging:

…man that sound dirty af.

6 Likes

It’s ok. You can probe my FETs anytime @linsus. No NDA required.

8 Likes

Rigged up my ebike for 72V and threw in the Little FOCer. 60A FOC and started at around 82V. 37mph on a bike is a bit scary at first but super fun! I bet I can top this out at 40mph on a proper straight road

20 Likes

I approve of your wiring job.

+8 fossy qc points

7 Likes