Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

Plenty of space in this 84v home looking to adopt a controller. :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Super small ! Mini FOC (Vesc6 compatible)

Damn all in this race towards the 100v. Maybe post it in your thread. It’s better to keep them separated

1 Like

Bump. Any updates?

2 Likes

within a week or two I think we will get estimates for production/availability dates

“estimate after the holidays”
-shaman

8 Likes

So I definitely owe you guys an update. Sorry for being late. FYI the following update isn’t the best news…

Bottom line up front is that the 2-board design in both the serious and little FOCers has some issues at high currents. I believe it’s only an issue with the PCB design and not the components being used. It’s unfortunate that this is the case after all this time and work…but I have a plan.

Some of you know about the Cheap FOCer 2 which is another project of mine. My plan is to base the new Little FOCer (84V, 5kW) on this design. It’s basically going to be a 84V version of the Cheap FOCer 2. The Serious FOCer (84V, 10kW) will then just be a beefier version with TO-247 FETs.

I’ve already done some bench testing of similar new single-board designs with satisfactory results. The 10kW controller did 100A FOC easy. The 5kW design did 75A. The only reason I can’t test higher is due to my own bench testing limitations. I still have to go through another round of prototyping so this will take some more time…

I apologize for all this…but I’m not giving up! It’s just going to take some more time for me to crank out a design I am fully confident in. Quality is still a major concern for me and I will not release something I consider inferior.

29 Likes

You will make it. I am 200% sure about it

7 Likes

It sounds like these can safely operate at 20S. How big can voltage spikes be beyond a fully charged pack already @ 84V? Like, if we spike voltage on a 60V vesc above 60V, they go poof. When do the FOCers go poof?

2 Likes

Exactly. That’s the goal.

100V. Some other manufacturers would advertise a 100V controller with the exact same hardware for marketing purposes (its a bigger number). However, I don’t do this because it’s not practical. Advertising a max operating voltage of 84V then leaves 16V of headroom for spikes. My design also has features to help prevent spikes in the first place as well as squash spikes that manage to happen.

16 Likes

This is the best news ever. I am not a fan of 2 boards sandwiched together. Not least of which because they are very, very difficult to waterproof.

8 Likes

I think I’m learning the hard way that I’m not a fan either.

7 Likes

The dream isn’t dead. Still working on it!

40 Likes

Hi all,

is there a tutorial how to assemble the components on PCB , I am very interested by this project.

The plan is to make a onewheel clone which have strong power. 16 S battery pack would be fine to achieve a good max speed with a 10 " tire .

1 Like

First of all - Welcome to the Forums, I would suggest that you take the time to read through some of these threads. Mostly because you will likely find your answers and its usually faster than waiting for someone to answer them for you. Also you will gain a better reputation if you seldom ask questions that have already been answered (AKA typical forum etiquette).

That said, this thread has been pretty active and long running, here are the quick details.

1. The Serious FOCer, is going to be a commercially available product - this is not ‘intended to be DIY’ therefore the initial run (if there’s a diy option at all) will be an off the shelf product (100% Complete).
  2. It has been discussed and mentioned that some people would like the challenge of assembling their own SFOC which may happen but the likely hood is that this product will be provided as more of a kit (80% assembled) than a full DIY ‘print and source’ project.
  3. The Cheap FOCer will be the DIY option which is the option that you can assemble
  4. Neither the SFOC or the CFOCv2 are available in any capacity and to the best of my knowledge none of the beta testers have them yet.

Assembling PCB’s and boards like this isnt difficult just time consuming, I would just go to Youtube and look up how to solder on a circuit board. There are also ‘maker’ challenges that you can do (an LED Flasher) that you can buy for a few bucks that can help you test your skills in different package sizes.

Edited :: kinda had a rude inflection in my initial approach :slight_smile:

Edit 2:: you asked another question i didnt initially answer.

11 Likes

Still not ready unfortunately :disappointed:

1 Like

thanks for the answers,

I have yet assemble battery packs for an ebike and a esurf, and also made some projects with arduinos, drones, but I don’t feel confident with the small components, I have see that some people use solder paste and hot air soldering station.

I will follow this thread to see when a product will be release

1 Like

We are all following. @shaman is the man behind it. He will nailed. I am sure

3 Likes

JLCPCB’s update

Looks like the prototype will have to wait until this coronavirus outbreak calms down. Ya’ll take care over there in China. Get well soon!

11 Likes
  • Production of SMT assembly and stencils has been resumed on February 12.
  • Production of 4&6 layer and ENIG PCBs will temporarily be postponed until further notice.

One step closer. Need them 4 layer boards though

11 Likes

I am pretty handy with software. Let me know if there is anything I can help with(a website for example).