Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

Those values are waaaay off, curious where you got them

5 Likes

That’s like the bare specs of the n channel mosfets I think…

@magharees China…

4 Likes

Pretty much every ad from anywhere that sells them.

Here’s the very first ebay listing that comes up…

Flipsky tends to inflate their number to astronomical proportions, standard 4.xx HW actually supports 35a continuous or so.

I would cite my source as a Benjamin V video, but I cant find the damn thing. His youtube page is a little messy

5 Likes

Did a quick test and it looks like the MPU6050 also works with the current code because its very similar to the MPU9X50.

2 Likes

I think you are talking about this video.

Edit.: As @Sn4Pz pointed out I linked the wrong video. Now its the right one.

1 Like

I don’t think that was it, I specifically remember him bench testing it with the bldc window in the corner.

I quickly scrubbed through your video and didn’t recognize any parts, but it could very well prove my point.

Since this information has been out for so long, why do 4.xx vendors almost always use 50 amps continuous and 50+ amps burst in their descriptions :thinking:

Yeah certain companies will blow current ratings way out of proportion with their controllers and other products. In reality, the TO-220 or D2PAK can only handle so much. Even the semiconductor companies mislead current ratings in their FETs.

The numbers I advertise are closer to what the actual physical package of the FETs can do based on empirically derived data and the amount of copper conducting the current. The legs of the through hole FETs are the main limiting factor. 50Arms continuous for 4.12 VESCs might be achievable with extreme heatsinking that probably wouldn’t be practical.

4 Likes

We’re talking about cont. 50/60A and burst twice that, subject to cooling, totally ballpark. Sorry for derail @shaman.

@ziploc consider taking this to a new thread if needed to discuss more

2 Likes

No need. Simple question more than adequately answered.

4 Likes

The prototyping materials will be delivered by the end of today. I’m borrowing a reflow oven from a friend for the weekend. Gunna set up the development environment for the VESC firmware/software tomorrow. Wish me luck!

11 Likes

So excited about this :slight_smile: Just got my Gokart for my project. And soon going to order the motor I was talking about. Looking forward to use this vesc on my kart :slight_smile:

1 Like

My go kart is just sitting waiting for a fat battery and motor :sweat_smile:

Hmm if I electrified it I probably wouldn’t be able to store it outside under a tarp…

1 Like

Tell me more :slight_smile: ?? This gokart thing, is a new world to me. But pretty excited to do the electrified conversion :slight_smile:

Good luck mate!!!:clap::clap::dancer:

1 Like

Here it is as it sits.
I’ll take this to another thread or PM to talk more. Switching it to electric would be nice because as it stands it does not have brakes or a throttle cable.

I would also extreme the frame, it’s uncomfortably short. I wonder if I could just move the seat back if I had more room because no engine.

What I do like is the solid rear axle. It’s the nicest part of the kart.

6 Likes

Nice… Mine is a normal racing go kart with a solid rear axle…
Yours looks like some fun in the woods :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha it made its own trails. I decimated a entire field of dense ferns with hours of doughnuts. It can also kind of make it around the pump track but it’s REALLLY bumpy (see seat pads).

The exhaust the handlebar to a kid’s bike!

Won’t start, I ripped the pull string trying.

And look what was waiting for me when I got home! PCBs and stencil.

24 Likes