Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

Maybe build into the cost of each kit sold a nominal donation to Vedder

Stewii released a basic case design on thingiverse in order that remixes could be made, even though the cooling is taken care of it would nice to place in a small but elegant 3D print

1 Like

There’s an idea. I can declare that X% of profit goes to Mr. Vedder as a donation. Not sure what amount would be fair though

2 Likes

I think at least releasing the schematic and firmware is in order as well as highlighting the changes over the original VESC 6 design. Gerbers will be my little secret.

The biggest changes surround the MOSFET driver (DRV8353) and another DC/DC converter that converts 15V to 5V. That being said, my new FOCers will have 15V, 5V, and 3.3V available for accessories. “12V” accessories may be able to take 15V just make sure of this before you power them up.

6 Likes

Let’s talk connectors. I’m ditching the plain pin headers except for the programming pins. I’m looking to use JST PH connectors just the like the VESC for compatibility. Does anyone have any concerns with this? Are there better alternatives? If not, I will stay this course of connector type.

10 Likes

Many DIYèr like me, has those connectors laying around, when we make custom cables for the vesc… So this would be a good choice :slight_smile:

When do you open for group buy :stuck_out_tongue: ?? I have a E-bike hub wheel waiting… At the moment i´m maxing my trampa vesc 6 out at 100 amp 12s. And this hub wheel asking for more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Buying these models are a long way out…
See my post below from my other thread.

2 Likes

As @Silverline said the ph plugs are used with a lot of hardware for vescs and vesc derivatives. I have all kind of ph plugs to crimp my my own cables as well. The pins are big enough to crimp your own plugs even if you don’t have the right crimp tool. I think some people had the plugs coming lose due to vibration when mounted upside down, but that’s nothing a drop of hot glue or better silicon could fix and hold in place.

1 Like

yeah… I love my crimping tool as well… It`s nice for your OCD, to make the perfect custom cable for the job :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hate crimping jst contacts :joy: but after selling something like 70 sensor adapter cables i‘m very happy that i investigated into a crimping tool. Still not a pleasant job, but makes things way much more easy.

5 Likes

Let’s talk stencil, I think hot air is the preferred weapon of choice for those who do not possess an oven.

In which case a stencil file would be welcome. Stewii provided a link to those who bought bare pcbs

If course if partially assembled there is no chance of using a stencil. Not sure if it is a thing to use a stencil to apply the mask to all pads on the pcb, then just place and affix the major components which cause problems to the uninitiated?

That would leave mask if careful on the unaffixed pads speeding up completion for the end-user and probably helping QA due to quality solder mask applied in just the right amount.

Flux maybe too for same reason, although I know it can be corrosive, everything ready to go for the guy who just has an 40w iron

??

1 Like

Agreed. I just use a reflow station with hot air rather than an oven

True but the DIY kit (partially assembled version) I have in mind will only leave the through hole components to be soldered by the user. The stencil is not needed for through hole and can be done with a typical iron.

To clarify, the end user shouldn’t have to do SMD/SMT soldering to complete the controller. From a manufacturing standpoint, It makes sense just to knock out all the SMD/SMT stuff with the pick-and-place machine. All that is automated. Then the partially assembled board can be kitted with the through hole components and shipped together to customers.

The fully assembled version would then have the extra step of through hole components being assembled by the PCB assembly service. This costs more because humans have to do it by hand but the price per unit would reflect that.

6 Likes

:duck: :duck: :duck: in a row

sounds great a small diy challenge which is kinda desirable for the time poor but interested in smd(me-type), or complete if wanted

nice1 @shaman the design & planning is nicely done

1 Like

Thanks! I’m trying

2 Likes

I’ve updated the design a bit. See changes below

• Addition of JST PH connectors for all connections except the programming header.
  • Addition of film and ceramic capacitors at power stage for improved voltage oscillation/spike suppression
  • Changed current sense resistors to 2512 package.
  • Widened DC input and motor phase through hole pads to accommodate 10AWG cables.
  • Transitioned to SMD inductors instead of through hole
  • Improved DC/DC buck converter layout
  • Using through hole gate resistors on low-side FETs as a sort of “jumper” over high-current switch node.
12 Likes

Hot Air > Oven

Lifting ends on passive devices is almost inevitable when hand placing parts. Without hot air an SMD assembly shouldn’t be attempted unless you’re a masochist. Just my two cents.
Also, always know and work at the melting temp of your solder.

@shaman are you a full time electrical engineer? :o
this is amazing stuff

1 Like

I am…but not the kind that usually makes full blown electronics like this. In industry we refer to these controllers as “end equipments”. Usually my job is to focus on only a few different ICs (chips), how to use them right, and advising other engineers on how to use them right.

I desire to make “end equipments” rather than just supporting a few different ICs. Developing these controllers is a way for me to branch out and expand my skills. Thankfully I can leverage a lot of knowledge and experience that people have in my field of work.

15 Likes

I was sold at this line, just take my money!

No seriously do you have a version able to fit 60/60/30ish mm box ?

How 's this going?

2 Likes

Unfortunately I only have controllers at the dimensions advertised in the images.

The project is slow but going well. I’m close to submitting the schematics and layout for review.

4 Likes

We need new reliable motor controllers, this is a great project and I wish you the best of luck!

6 Likes