Soldering by NOOB!!!! Please help

This is my first try and I will need many others! Would love to hear your advice, no matter how cruel n blunt it is! LOL!

The nickel is .2 mm, the iron is a Sequire, the wires are 10 awg. Even when scoring the nickel and putting flux on the tabs, the solder doesn’t like to stick and I had to make big puddles on the tab to get the solder to actually be able to d the wire to the tab? I can see why I need to solder before spot welding the pack to the tab, especially me! I have tried the iron at 350 and 400 degrees and watched many videos on soldering but it’s not working for me in the same way?

• List item

Your thoughts?

Thanks…maybe?> lol!

2 Likes

go read this thread

4 Likes

I dont think you’re getting enough heat to fully wet out the joints.
My suggestion is ditch that tiny tip and get the big C4 tip
TS100 Mini Digital LCD Soldering Iron Tips Portable Replacement Outdoor Original Soldering Iron Pen Type TS-C4 Amazon.com

2 Likes

Looks like good procedure but not enough heat. I agree with the other answers.

2 Likes

thanks guys! I was thinking the tip may be part of the problem. I will get a bigger one and then practice again n post, hopefully the next post will look like a well soldered connection.

Make sure you twist the ends of your wire so it stays neat, make sure the nickel is clean of any residue, make sure you tin the nickel and all the way around the wire (I usually put 2 to 4 dots around the circumference then hold the iron at the end so everything wicks in), and make sure you’re dumping the minimal amount of heat but as fast as possible, but chisel tip for sure and at least an 80W iron for 10awg

Scratching the surface isn’t really necessary, just heat the surface and let the puddle grow

2 Likes

From the man himself.
@Skyart

5 Likes

You need a more powerful iron and a bigger tip

5 Likes

Like this one…

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B00ANZRT4M/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3J71OPPPN82OQ&keywords=hakko+soldering+iron&qid=1687786647&sprefix=Hahko+%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10

1 Like

+1 for the Haiko, I usually set it between 700 and 850°F depending on wire gauge and thermal mass

2 Likes

If this is a ts100 clone, which it looks like, then its plenty with the C4 tip and a 24v supply.
Doesn’t look like much, but it packs a punch when set up right.
No need to spend a bunch of money if that is in fact a ts100 clone.

1 Like

I am not very good at soldering.
First I used the TS100

And I got way better results with the Hahko.

3 Likes

To each is own, i haven’t had an issue with all I’ve done down to 10awg. 8awg would probably be the limit.
Making sure your power supply is 24v is probably necessary for the larger stuff.

1 Like

6s lipo?

Mine came with a 24v supply. Im sure whatever you put at it around 24v(max for the unit) will do well with the c4 tip

Important suggestion here. My Pinecil would barely run off the USB-C input, but the proper power supply makes it cook.

1 Like