Snapped two belts, same ride

Snapped two 475 5m 18mm belts from vbeltguys today. I’m running 18/78 gears and I’m about 280 all geared up… I’ve been running mostly 16/72 for the last year, and I figured the extra teeth from running 18/78 would help my braking, but is putting too much stress on my belts? Or did I just get a bad batch of belts?

1 Like

welcome to belt snapping galore :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, bummed out… I’m in Chicago for the weekend and only got in about 12 miles before it happened… I only had one spare with me. Where did you get your belts from?

taobao, very much not recommend u get from there :joy: quality is 5050, i had one already half rip when i took it out the packaging, but they cost cheaper than dirt, so i can’t complain

I get mine from AliExpress but shipping takes an eternity.

I get mine directly from an industry reseller who sell motors belts and bearings,
It’s a tad more expensive than hobby grade, but they have everything possible in stock and they cut them directly to the width you want
(Haven’t snapped any so far, but I’m not a crazy rider)

1 Like

Do they ship international?

Probably, but probably not to detail
I think they are just resellers for the belts, so probably you can contact theanufacturer directly in the us or Germany I can’t remember

Actually they could be the manufacturers
https://www.gg.co.il/about-en/

1 Like

How tight were the belts?

I’ve not had any issues with belts breaking so far even though I’ve bought them from several different sources they’ve all held up to abuse and at worse they’d just be worn away some. Had a motor bolt get loose and it ended up carving out some of the belt material of the top of the belt (smooth side), then when my pulleys melted and the belts were being driven by sheer luck and both ended up rubbing across the motor mounts a ton the belts just ended up getting cut down from 15mm wide to 13mm wide on one and the other was 12mm wide but with a 10mm wide section :rofl: Those belts are now for backup use only if all the other 270 belts I have break before I buy more

Although I tend to always have issues getting my belts tight enough and have never managed to make a belt too tight before because my hands aren’t strong enough to stretch a too small belt over a pulley or to pull the motor out far enough to over tighten the belt. I have to use a clamp to move my motor out far enough to pull the belt tight enough after getting the wheel pulley on

could also just be a cheap belt issue

1 Like

Could it be sotrage conditions?

Could be… They were only on the board for maybe a month. They did take some abuse but not more than any other. I did get caught in a storm last week and they were soaked with water… But it seems weird that they’d rot to the point of snapping a week after one rainstorm… I’m thinking they were stored improperly for a long time before I got them…

1 Like