SmartCharger - One to rule them all

Very interesting !
I’ll think about the way to add this while keeping a clean UX/UI

1 Like

Ok, so I read a lot of this thread (not all) and the conclusion of these tests is not clear to me.

I found also an article on Battery University (4 years younger) :
https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/ultra_fast_chargers

In this article, they say it’s possible to fast charge a Li-ion battery.
BUT this has to be done with a strict control of each P-group and mostly in a certain temperature range.
They also say that the control of this step charge is done by the smart BMS for the reasons mentioned above.

So, I’m a bit afraid to let any inexperimented user play with this super charge feature… :thinking:

1 Like

looking back at possibly healing lithium cells with high current never knew what current per volume they were talking about here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/science/2018/03/researchers-heal-destructive-dendrite-growth-in-lithium-metal-batteries/%3Famp=1

1 Like

What does the waveform of ur power supply look like before you do anything to it? Read ripple-free is better for cells.

I saw a clear cell design that is open sourced by some battery chemists for 100$ in parts so you can see the dendrites form and try to smoother them. Maybe could be a program the vesc could run with high current pulses smoothing it’s own battery. Numbers in the paper of 500 vs 2000 cycles is wild. Makes me think doing simple pulses to cells is Looking before don’t think I ever found the exact regime used. Willing to experiment! What could be more exciting than that.

1 Like

cell healing is awesome but I don’t think its something we could/should implement since we can’t see inside the cell to inspect results. I would wait till a commercial solution is available and work off that

2 Likes

Pretty noisy.

@hummieee the link is at timestamp where he shows the waveform

1 Like

I’m not gunna look now but easy to find that 100$ in parts open source clear cell thing intended for just such a thing. I’ll find it for sure later.

1 Like

I’m not sure how applicable it is to our cells with varying chemistries, I’m all for some experimenting though

The thing is, there is no one rule fits all, each cells is different and you can’t generalize, but most can accept a way higher current at low SOC than the data sheet says

But to find out where it would require a bunch of battery testers and run different charge profiles

I have started a discussion about it here

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=104716

3 Likes

Well, I’m 99% sure that my SmartCharger has the same waveform as it uses the same equipment. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I really didn’t think much of it, and had just assumed noisy power is okay for charging. After 10 seconds more thought, all the brick style lithium ion chargers are switch mode power supplies, so will have similar noise profiles. IOW, no big deal :slight_smile:

I think to get a nice smooth voltage, we’d need a linear mode PSU, with transformers and such, very big heavy expensive.

Yea the waveform is nitpicking. There’s studies out there but I forget how detrimental to cycles it is with messy waves but wasn’t much. current bursts as in the thing I linked above on the other hand and the results they got on the other hand are drastic. If u figure what regime is done exactly like to know.

1 Like

I don’t care about the waveform. It’s a battery. It doesn’t care. It doesn’t have feelings

If the waveform is good it has more cycles

1 Like

How much ?
If we’re talking about 50 cycles, it’s not really a concern.
Our application stresses out a lot the cells, so we are already far from the datasheet values.

For sure, a very clean waveform would be ideal, but it’s all about compromises.
I think we can already save some cycles with the ability to store battery at storage voltage. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

50 cycles out of 300-500 is a lot to me. I forget how many it was.

I see soooo many stuffs about lithium battery that now I only trust numbers coming from serious studies. :wink:

1 Like

There’s a lot of studies showing the charging waveform can effect the cells
“ This situation has to be considered to guarantee the reliable operation of the battery. The current ripple flowing into the battery during charging can generate heat ”

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/263626334_Analysis_of_the_Output_Ripple_of_the_DC-DC_Boost_Charger_for_Li-Ion_Batteries

I’m not saying there are no studies. I stated that I need to read some to clear my mind. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Don’t know why u say that. Depends on who but generally no one is pushing charge or discharge current beyond the stated maximum. With charging especially

1 Like