SmartCharger - One to rule them all

For sure it’s a niche. I’m well aware of that.
But ATM, 54% of people want this product for a cheaper price than it costs in raw material. :smile:
I’m fighting hard to decrease the price but I can’t go that low while keeping the performance and features offered.

Those numbers are quite interesting though and teach me things about “our market”.
Keep on answering please :grin:

1 Like

The only closest competitor I can think of is the Cycle Satiator and that thing is $300.

2 Likes

I have one and love it. Very expensive but robust. My model does up to 20S (72V) and 5 amps so a 12S and 15 amp charger at less than $250 is a great deal relative to my experience with the satiator. Awesome project! I’ll be keeping an eye on this!

1 Like

I personally would probably only want to pay $100-$150, because as a high school kid I can’t really justify any extra cost. However, I think that even $250 would be a fair price.

Thinking simpleton logic out loud here,

“This replaces other chargers so it should be worth twice the price of other chargers. But only kind of. I can’t charge 2 boards simultaneously with this otherwise it would be obviously worth at least twice the price of a good charger because it can replace them with zero difference (one wall socket used less technically)”

Personally the value that I don’t think most people see is the ability to charge any pack, any time. You can take this with you and charge any configuration of pack you come across. You can also charge any pack you get in the future.

I stupidly voted while scrolling and can’t change my answer but I would have liked to vote for the $165 category and at the high end of that range.

6 Likes

It’s also an amazing troubleshooting tool. You can charge one p-group, do first power-on tests of vescs with 100mA current limit, test what current fuse wire blow, etc.

3 Likes

Completely agree. To add on to that, you can charge any pack at any rate (amperage) or to any capacity (voltage). Want to charge to 80%? Easy. Want to slowly charge a newly built pack? Simple. Want to top off as fast as possible? Done.

In my experience, the cycle satiator’s HUD has come in handy many times. Little did I know that the mismatched voltage on the charger and Unity app meant my BMS wires came undone. I don’t think I would have caught that with a normal charger. Additionally, I can see exactly how much Ah and Wh were put into a pack which can be useful.

2 Likes

This is a great point. You can’t charge 2 boards at once.

Wow all these inputs dear friends, that motivates me soooo much !!
I’m ordering components for a small batch and I’m designing PCBs and casing (mine uses prototype board, glued in the case, not so sexy…)
You just push me a looot, thanks a lot !

And yes, there is a mode to switch to manual operation so you can take control of the DPS manually and use it as a lab power supply. for anything else than charging a battery (powering vescs, leds, whatever) :slight_smile:

9NHqCfC

240 Volt capable please…

5 Likes

Charge one p-group is cool. Is this true though? I don’t understand how.

Connect + and - to the right balance pins and set 4.2v.

Oh. You can do that with any charger.

:woman_facepalming:

This charger is pretty sweet and it is worth more than 100$. I do miss that it can’t charge 13s.

It will be another model of SmartCharger.
It’s planned already (up to 18S) but can’t tell when (I’m dependant of when the DPS manufacturer will release a 80V-15A version. They told me at least one year).
Charging a P-group at 1S 0,5A for instance is possible (but never tested though).

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for answering the polls !

UPDATE

I’ve been working hard those last days :

• Re-design of the casing
  • Design of a brand new all-in-one PCB
  • More electronic prototyping for replacing components (to lower the price).

Issues / design choices

Presently, I’m using a 480W power supply.
This model is great because the fan is temperature controlled. That means that it blows on only when warm, keeping the charger quiet most of the time.
BUT, it allows only 8A@12S. Disappointing for most of you I guess.
I found a more powerful PSU (up to 10A@12S) with the exact same size but no temperature control (fan always ON).

Finally, some PSU are even more powerful to reach 15A@12S but alot bigger, so I’d need to modify drastically my casing and build one to check potential thermal and air flow issues.

Your thoughts on these points ?

What’s next :

1. I’m waiting for samples in order to validate the PCB.
  2. Then I order sample PCBs and validate them and the their fitment into the casing (trickiest part)
  3. Once the casing is validated, green light for a 1 or 2 pre-production batch.
  4. If I’m satisfied enough, green light for probably a 30 chargers batch production. :slight_smile:

Regading the price, I’m aware I won’t go in the way of the poll. Sorry for that. :pensive:
I’m targetting a price between 150€ and 200€ (20% VAT included).

Be sure of one thing : I’m not doing this for getting rich.
@rpasichnyk, @janpom and many others can tell.
TBH, keeping this only for me would have be the laziest way to manage this project. :smile:
But, you guys seem so hot on this, you really ignite my wish to upgrade this project to a next (professional ?) level.

Last but not least…

I need to change the name :weary::weary::weary:

Yep, SmartCharger is a european registered brand (https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/017578601).
So, I’ll move for another name (work in progress… :thinking:).
This annoys me to an unbelievable point.
But that’s the game.

To be continued…

13 Likes

Apprendre a programmer en C pour les nuls, thriggered my dear @Pimousse :joy:

You know what ? I was SURE that someone would notice and mention it.
I’m not surprised it came from you… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Damn some great work you are doing! Maybe we can help you to find a name. :thinking: Although I dont have any inspiration yet lol

“Lightening Powered Murder Charger”? :rofl:

3 Likes

As acting legal counsel for Michael Jedidiah Maner, I am serving you notice for your unauthorized usage of the copyrighted and trademarked phrase “Lightning Powered Murder Board.” As of this moment, all your esk8 are belong to us.

7 Likes