SmartCharger - One to rule them all

Can it do Li-Ion, LiPo and LiFePO4?

1 Like

I built one of those too, but for some reason my charge current tapers off as it gets closer to the target voltage. So basically I can never fully charge anything with it. I’m not sure if something’s broken or i’m just doing something wrong. I’ve just been using the output from the dps5015 to power my ISDT Q6 charger for charging lipos but can’t really charge boards with it since after it gets 70-80% full the charge current drops to almost nothing.

yea, it’s constant current, then constant voltage so that tapering you described is intended.

if you set the final voltage a bit higher, like +0.2v, so you can hit your voltage.

ahh that makes sense. so like you said, not really useful for 12s but fine for anything lower.

1 Like

EPIC I wanna build one. O M G

Slap Like NOW

SmartSelect_20191009-180813_YouTube

6 Likes

Pretty similar to this

Yep, the only requirement is that the pack should be equipped with a BMS.
Presently the algorithm is only for LiPo and Li-Ion, I’ll add other chemistries into the TODO list. :+1:

3 Likes

New feature : Profiles !

“Yan-pom, @janpom, Jean-Pomme…”
Sorry mate :grimacing:
:smile:

7 Likes

Wow, that was fast! I love the progress. :+1: I guess now I’ll have to build one. :slight_smile:

Regarding pronunciation, I’ll go with Jean-Pomme :laughing:

2 Likes

@Pimousse BTW, did you implement the menu from scratch or is there library that you used? I had to implement mine from scratch since I couldn’t find a good micropython library. It was a real PITA. I’m still not very happy with my menu API.

From scratch in C.
It took me roughly a day (coding, debugging, testing).
Actually, that was easier than I planned as I re-used some functions already written (EEPROM writing for instance).

2 Likes

Your question triggered one in my mind :
What if I put some stress to the USB charger by attempting to sink a good amount of amps ?

So, I plugged my OnePlus 5T with USB-C (3A capable).
The MCU entered a endless loop of rebooting (due to a voltage sag on the 5V). :pensive:
So, I’ll move to a bigger USB charger. :+1:

Thanks for the input @Venom121212 ! :pray:

5 Likes

Glad my question amounted to something! Good work testing it just because.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! and good catch too

1 Like

Here are the latest results of dozens of hours of coding.
I’m happy with the final result so I’m gonna reconnect to a normal life now :smile:
For sure, any issue encounter will be address.

For dev (and curious people) :
I switched the web server to another library for performance improvement and to handle profile edit form. That asked me to rewrite a lot of functions and some weird debugging.
Anyhow, it’s done now, phew !

Profiles edit and OTA FW update

Charge display improvement

By simply pressing the left button, the user may switch between mAh and Wh value display while charging.

Also added : average cell voltage.

The web app also displays more data

Now, I go outside seeing if the sun still shines. :smile:

20 Likes

Ok, so now autumn is here and it keeps raining… So I keep spending hours of coding. :smile:

Latest features :

• Online version check : warn the user that an update is available
  • Message service : broadcast and display a critical message to every user in case of critical problem (like Metr app with the Unity DDOS gate)
  • Second Wifi settings : use the SmartCharger in 2 different places without re-setting Wifi each time (i.e. set your phone in tethering mode and you can connect to the smartcharger even on field)
  • Buzzer alerts : warning you for end-of-charge and faults events

:mag_right::moneybag: Market survey

Here are two polls I’d like the most of you answer.
Please answer regarding your needs, the market offers and the ability/performance of this product.

First, would you buy one (considering the price is fair enough for you) ?

• I don’t need it
  • Not sure
  • I want one !

0 voters

Then, even if you didn’t answer “I want one !” to the previous pool, what would be a fair price for this SmartCharger ? :slight_smile:

• 0 - 49€ ($0 - $54)
  • 50 - 99€ ($55 - $110)
  • 100 - 149€ ($111 - $165)
  • 150 - 199€ ($166 - $221)
  • 200 - 249€ ($222 - $277)
  • 250 - 300€ ($278 - $334)
  • more than 300€ ($334)

0 voters

Thousands of thanks ! :pray:

11 Likes

:joy::+1:

3 Likes

Just for clarification, is the pricing for complete device, or a kit, or just pcb?

Price for the whole product, ready to use.

I’m a bit scared seeing the results ATM…
As a reminder, the cheapest dumb 12S10A charger costs 80€ on Aliexpress. :wink:

Keep answering, thanks everybody !

4 Likes

Yeah… I’d expect to pay at least $100 for a smart charger, and would personally happily pay closer to $200, but I think as you move away from that Benjamin, it will become more of a niche item rather than the de facto BMS that everyone recommends and buys.