Smart BMS bluetooth module

I’ve got that exact TI part in my bookmarks on this topic. Good question!

And… I’m going to end up buying one of those power supplies. For that price, hell.

1 Like

The mfg linked me with some cheap 60v PSUs that fit in that box. Twiddle the trim pot and they can do about 64v which gives the RD unit full range. I found a 70v PSU for about the same price though. A bit more headroom. Hit me up if you need a link.

1 Like

Oh yeah I just remembered, I did the same shit that killed 2 bms wih this uint. It blew one of the socketed smd fuses on the unit this time. It’s nice they pack in a spare. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got a few higher voltage DC PSUs around, but thank you. But if we’re sharing power gear…

Most of my ESC bench testing I’ve been doing on one of these:

https://www.digikey.com/short/z3t3f8

Also these are a cheap & awesome upgrade to any CC/CV charger, I solder male/female charge connectors on either side and just put it in-line on the DC side of my charger:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JM642NQ/

1 Like

Ooh Delta. Much nicer than the girls I hang around with.

That inline wattmeter, I’ve been through maybe a dozen different ones, and have some favorites. Will post photos soon.

1 Like

Okay here we go

That one looks great, but…

• so tiny it flops around, and almost always ends up face down. need to put it in a box
  • lots of precision but not that accurate. No calibration in software or in trim pots.

I do like that it remembers the wh/ah, and the reset button behaves as expected. There are multiple display screens.

This one isn’t as fancy, but I like it better. Voltmeter is slightly off in different amounts depending on voltage. Remembers wh/ah. But the damn reset button is recessed! I glue 3d printed extensions on that damn button. And, doh, the reset button steps through another option before reset is presented. Annoying.

I like this one enough to have built a box for it. It’s 2 pieces, the display can be hooked up via usb (and gets power from the main unit), or wireless if you supply external power to the display. You can supply separate power to the main unit, which means it does not drain power from the pack if left on. It does NOT remember wh/ah on poweroff. This can be good, no need to hit reset.

This one is my favorite (the thing on the right). It’s HUGE, single unit, has many displays. Voltmeter is off as usual. It might have calibration, I forget. Reset button works as it should.

On the left is a DPS8005. 0-80v, 0-5.1a. I feed it from a 60v supply, and can charge all my 13s boards.

I like the combo so much I made a 3d printed enclosure with ganged binding posts. left posts are input, right posts are output, and the middle one is connected between the PSU and the meter.

That RD6006 (youtube video) pretty much obsoletes the combo though, since it can do 0-60V 0-6A and has wh/ah counter built in. Can even graph it… Link to item in official store:

3 Likes

Put me down for beta testing :weary:

I’ll need something for my next board

on the original dps5005 you need a schottky diode on the output to prevent this, later revisions have it on the pcb

2 Likes

Ooooooh shit you’re back! With amazing tech advice too! Warm hugs man!

1 Like