Small Commuter Board

So as I’m finishing my first diy I’ve come to the conclusion that its way to heavy to carry everyday on my college commute, so I gotta make another board.

Deck & Enclosure

First step was to find a deck preferably one with a kicktail and an enclosure that fits it. Was stuck on Loaded coyote or Subsonic spirit, the coyote would have much more space in the enclosure but the spirit just looks much cooler, so I settled on the spirit with a eboosted enclosure. Subsonic will even drill and install the enclosure, so that means one less thing I can fuck up

Trucks

Next step was trucks, and honestly after seeing a few commuter builds on here and @b264 talk about sr tkps I figured might as well try, I plan and keeping it below 25 mph so I’ll try and see how I like em.

Drive System

tbd Was thinking either @akhlut mounts or janux’s enclosed belt drive or their gear drive and I’m really leaning toward their gear drive considering my evo has straight cut gears and sounds amazing but not totally set on anything. What I know for certain is that I want it to be fwd with the motors in front of the truck for the most space enclosure wise and to keep the kicktail functional.

Battery

The enclosure says it’ll hold a 10s3p, but I’m going to go on a limb and imagine that those would be 18650 cells and I plan to have 10s2p out of 21700 cells probably 40t. still tbd

Motors

Either these sealed Maytech 6355 or these unsealed Maytech 6355, both at 170kv, kinda leaning towards the unsealed one mostly b/c it looks cooler idk.

I plan to either take the unity from the evo or buy another set of v6 neoboxes depending how well they work. Remote will definitely be a hoyt puck. Let me know what you guys think and what I’m missing, the only thing I’ve ordered so far is the tkps and the deck, so everything else is subject to change.

2 Likes

I’ve gone near 40mph on both of my sets. Favorite trucks personally.

1 Like

Deck, battery, and wheels are the biggest consideration for a light nimble commuter build IMO. I commute with all my boards but I built these two specifically with commuting in mind.

You don’t need a battery bigger than what can get you to work and back plus around 2 miles IMO.

5 Likes

Around what wheel size do you think would be good I was thinking 97mm abecs or 90/100mm kegels

Wow! Didn’t know that Subsonic offered enclosure mounting services! Pretty nice.

I’m a bit surprised though that the trucks get mounted in the tail of that deck! I wonder if the tail even has any leverage with a design like that. Very odd.

Look forward to seeing how this build progresses, gonna be a good one :smiley:

if your roads aren’t god awful those sound perfect. 90mm’s were niiiice on my “pocket rocket” build.

Also a big thing for me with both those builds was being able to mall grab the front truck and not have the board touch the ground. You can always add a handle but that was another baseline for my commuter build mindset.

edit - to be fair if you are under 5’6 this can get hard, unless you go short board. It was challenging for me as I’m only around 5’7 - 5’8 depending on shoes.

I don’t believe the tail is intended to be used like a normal tail. It’s a wedge for footing really.

1 Like

I used it like a normal tail, it just takes a bit more effort :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was strongly considering this deck for a commuter until I settled on the Haya HB83+. Solid looking build plan, good luck brother.

1 Like

Oh I’ve seen some sweet builds with the bigger deck, had no idea they made one that was smaller, definitely would’ve went for that, and thanks.

1 Like

That’s exactly what the guy at subsonic told me over the phone, that once you put some weight under it will take some more effort but it will be fine.

Yeah I’m aiming to be able to mall grab and considering I’m 5’7 I know it’s gonna be either hit or miss, but at least it will be lighter so their will be that, since I really do want to drill a hole for a handle on board tbh never seen one that I though flowed with the deck.

If you don’t wana drill a hole check out my thread on a paracord handle. However, I didn’t realize what deck you were using till now - forgot you could add drop downs (duh). That deck should be perfect! your my height and my zenit is slightly longer. As long as you don’t run motor mounts out back and tuck em, I think it’ll be money.

I’ve seen paracord mod but I don’t know if I want to put more weight on enclosure screws, I’ll definitely try it if I can’t mall grab it though. What are drop downs?

1 Like

those little arrow things that “drop down” when clicked

I pick up 28-30lb boards and the paracord is just held by the enclosure screw and threaded insert. size is M4 or M5 I believe. Haven’t had issues yet.

Gotta make sure you use deep thick threaded inserts so the really grab the wood.

Do you have a picture by chance?

Pics of the inserts being installed are in my “Red Oni” build thread

I think clamping it between the enclosure and deck helps too.

No, I read that thread (nice build btw)
I meant the drop down thing, can’t really picture it.

lmao its how you set up the thread man! your first post, the little arrows next to deck etc.

And thanks!

Oh my god, I’m a literally idiot I thought you were talking about some completely different.

1 Like