Slicing open a Lithium battery.

must have some sort of liquid to pump into cars in the future. What the hell else are we going to do with these 168,000 fueling stations? Parks? you kidddin meeee

1 Like

Well, if flow batteries get good enough we could use them for replacing the spent electrolytes.

Or just turn them into charging stations. Why does it have to be a liquid? Why not pump angry pixies instead?

3 Likes

oh I just figure that the thinking was infrastructure is already all made for tanker trucks and pumping of liquids plus it is what people are used to.
Just makes sense to me why they are pushing for hydrogen despite it just being funny smol gas energy powered electric cars.

2 Likes

True, but it’s not like any of the existing liquid-handling infrastructure would be reused. All the tanks, pumps, pipes, hoses, fittings, everything would need to be dug up and replaced with either cryogenic or ultra-high-pressure equipment to handle either liquid or compressed hydrogen.

So why not replace the underground tanks with a BIG ASS battery pack to store energy, and replace the pumps with charging stations?

3 Likes

I would be interested in the art of turning a gas fueling station into a EV-only station, good time to reinvent the energy refilling vehicle concept from the underground up.

automatic underground garage with charging is what I am thinking.

1 Like

I mean, the best, most convenient option an EV owner has is to just charge at home.

No sitting at charging stations
No interacting with dickheads
No chance of getting the Plague while filling your vehicle with energy

It’s not as fast, but for 99% of the time, it doesn’t need to be.
Unless you’re taking a trip that needs more than your maximum range, the charge time doesn’t matter as long as it’s full the next time you need to drive somewhere.

2 Likes

when you are in a long distance robo taxi you could probably just switch entire vehicles…

as long as you feel like moving all your junk.

1 Like

Apart for some really niche applications, hydrogen is only pushed because it gives the opportunity for a middle man to sell it

This chart makes that pretty obvious

Or when we reach the point we have so many overflowing renewable energy sources that would be better to use it to produce hydrogen

2 Likes

And also you can make hydrogen from fossil fuels. Which is how most of it is made currently.

1 Like

I miss the ethanol fuel cell. It never got much attention. Filling your vehicle with moonshine sounds ideal. Easy to store. Doesn’t need to be pressurized. Make it at home

1 Like

That and the methanol fuel cell.

They both have issues of cost (the membranes are expensive) and power density. And efficiency, just like hydrogen FCs.

It’s just more efficient to do the whatever-kind-of-energy-to-electricity conversion step on an industrial scale where you’re not limited as much by volume or mass. By removing those limitations imposed by needing to be mobile, you can get extra efficiency, for example by using the residual exhaust heat from a gas turbine to run a steam turbine.

You could do the same with a car engine, if you wanted to take up the whole passenger compartment with equipment.

2 Likes

Expensive and low power. Haven’t seen one on a board yet.

2 Likes

Damn thats massive! I hope no one was hurt.

1 Like