SKATE OR DIE, I choose skate. My ESK8 Journey

So fucking glad you had a onewheel and gave esk8 a shot Dallas. Most onewheels dont even touch esk8! Great story bro!

5 Likes

I never imagined that I would end up (for now) with esk8s, when you all you have is a onewheel, you see things through the lens of a onewheel, riding on golf courses or trails is so fun on a onewheel that its hard to imagine not being able to do, the whole "the world is your playground’ thing that they market feels really true when riding one. But I got forced out of onewheels and I cant imagine going back, you just shift the lens you look through when you change boards, now I just go really fast instead of riding on trails

4 Likes

I’ll say the charisma of the onewheel is tough to beat. But then after riding it I think you’re really left wanting more. Especially if you grew up skating. I love eskate. I’d own a pint again for mailbox runs and playing around but that’s about it.

2 Likes

They’ve got some pros but too many cons for me. And imo the carve is so much better on an eskate. I get on a eskate and it’s a instant callback to regular skating where as onewheel is just… different. I feel like onewheels turn amazingly well but don’t really carve well at all. They pivot on that center point but to get the roll axis to actually dip over the tires edge is really difficult, even with a rounded tire.

Offroad though, yeah on a float smooth trail they’re stupid fun. I’m just a street dog that wants to carve smooth pavement all day.

2 Likes

Reorganized the cabinet last night. Got all my boards in!

From the top down

First and second gen BKB Duo decks

Andy Anderson push board

Skateshred short board build in progress (needs a battery)

Acedeck Stella S1

FLUX AT

Acedeck NYX Z1

Acedeck Ares X1

5 Likes

With the stock tire I understand that. It gives a very “dead” feeling when carving.

Have you tried an aftermarket tire? It feels much more lively. Still different than an esk8 or analog board, but definitely an improvement over the stock tire.

1 Like

Yeah. The stock pint was pretty lively. The XR I had a whisper on. Much better.

2 Likes

Newest build (VENOM) is getting there…

Working on a quick disconnect connector panel to allow easier dropping of the enclosure. Once that’s done it’s off to my battery builder friend to make me a 16S pack.

5 Likes

The 3 Link build is looking awesome dude.

2 Likes

Thanks brother. It’s been incredibly fun doing all the research/planning to get to this point. Few more weeks and she’ll be alive!

2 Likes

Upgrade to the Starflux today.

Removed the two part wedge I had in the rear and replaced with a single, nylon printed wedge.

Replaced thin anti sink plate I had with a new Davega one.

2 Likes

This weekend, 5 weeks after a broken big toe I’m back on the boards. Did a 10 mile ride yesterday to get back into it. Felt so good to be riding again.

Today I filmed a acceleration comparison between a few boards. I’ll have it up soon on the channel.

Acedeck X1, Z1 and my Starflux modified Flux AT2

5 Likes

Congrats :tada: on being back. So, which one performed best?

2 Likes

Thanks!

I need to watch back the footage. I still think the 4WD probably has it off the line. But the new NYX feels close.

3 Likes

The x bracket is a sutil but nice improvement…

Welcome back to riding dude.

2 Likes

Well the acceleration test ended with some surprising results. The NYX was faster off the line than the 4WD X1. They’re pretty close to one another but looking at multiple takes of this it pretty much always beat the X1.

No doubt the NYX Z1 is a FAST board.

3 Likes

Good to read your story, what a time to go traveling. Sounds like you guys made the best of it.
That fibregalss enclosure is quite a first effort, scary stuff!

2 Likes

Yeah, Not going to do fiberglass again haha.

3 Likes

And now I finally get to unveil my latest build, VENOM

2 Likes

I haven’t been loving that my wheels on VENOM are connected using a bolt to coupling nut to bolt, relying on loctite for it all to keep it together.

So I rebuilt them last night using a longer m4 bolt that passes through a washer, then coupling but and ends with a flanged nylon lock nut. This give me a little better trust in the wheels that they have half the amount of failure points basically.

4 Likes