Simple math to figure torque

my motor’s torque is at its max.

I’ll swap my gearing from 7:1 to 11:1

To figure the new torque as a percentage of the old am I dividing 7/11 (0.63636363636 and 64% more) or 11/7 (1.57142857143 and 57% more)?

I’m guessing the old system has 64% as much as the new is 57% more, no?

When you swap your gearing from 7:1 to 11:1, the new torque will be 57% more than the old torque. To calculate this, you can divide the new gear ratio by the old gear ratio and subtract 1. In this case, (11/7 - 1) * 100% = 57% increase in torque .

If you want to calculate the new torque as a percentage of the old torque, you can divide the old gear ratio by the new gear ratio and multiply by 100. In this case, (7/11) * 100% = 63.6% of the old torque .

So, your guess is almost correct. The old system has 63.6% of the new system’s torque, which means that the new system has 57% more torque than the old system.

This answered is powered by Chatgpt

1 Like

Do double-check any math Chat GPT gives you. It has learned math by memorizing rather than understanding it it seems, so it can sometimes fail.

2 Likes

11/7, 57% more. Your last sentence is correct :+1:

1 Like

That’s why I gave it the block quote and said it was powered by Chatgpt.

Never blindly trust that shit

1 Like

It is possible the total weight of the system can reduce torque but increase momentum. The teeth count of gears, and other factors can reduce or improve torque in my belief.

You can use the ultimate esk8 calculator to figure out the force in newtons of various setups

The Ultimate esk8 calculator - with Force in Newtons

2 Likes