pics by S_M_L_S_

19 Likes
PARTS LIST V1.2

Tomiboi Deathtoll Drop-deck & double-stack enclosure

SKP
18s7p, (p45b)
6485 173kv motors
Dual SKP Solo V1 top mount

Stooge Raceboards short rod 3links (@MoeStooge)

Mboards Nova 7in tires

Linnpower NEXT Racing Tires and quick release rims

Voyage Systems Megan

Radium Titanium davega screws

MBS F5 front binding
Rockstar PRO II XL hubs

Zmote single trigger

Shredlights

other miscellaneous stuff

•••••••••••••••••••••

PARTS LIST V1

@tomiboi : Deathtoll Drop-deck & double-stack enclosure

@Skyart

18s7p, (p45b)

6485 151kv motors

Dual SKP Solo (top mount)

175mm tires

Mboards Nova 7in tires

@Ean.esk8 Triple-links (first gen)

@IDEA motor mounts and clamps

Voyage Systems Megan by @janpom and @rpasichnyk

@Tony_Stark (Radium) 415-5m-15 urethane belts

16t motor pulleys & keys

Titanium screws

MBS F5 front binding

@Zyb Zmote single trigger

Shredlights

@Grievor Arca Pack

other miscellaneous stuff

•••••••••••••••••••••

DECK

The Deathtoll was selected because I like a wide stance and I have big feet so a long and wide deck wasn’t optional. I had many questions about the fitment of different battery setups and with input from @tomiboi, I settled on the Deathtoll deck for the extra clearance over the Odashi.

BATTERY

After the deck was purchased, I contacted @Skyart to find out pricing and configurations for batteries. Went from the originally decided 12s10 battery pack to an 18s7p after being convinced to go HV by friends.

I wanted to be able to charge my battery up quickly on long rides to Idaho so I also have dual charge ports.

I’ll get better pics when I open her up again.

ESC

The Solo had to be top mounted because there’s no space in the enclosure. Chose the Solo cause it had plenty power and I wanted to keep the electronics all from the same company. This board might end up with a Solo V2 in it. Time (and money) shall tell.

MOTORS

I’m running SKP 151kv 6485’s right now but I might go to 173’s depending on how cool the 151’s run during the summer. They do cool down very quickly when moving which I like.

TRUCKS

Let me start off by saying that after riding these for 200 miles, I love these trucks. The adjustable baseplate design @Ean.esk8 went with for his triple-links so you can easily mount these trucks on not only traditional decks but also mtb decks is a very nice touch. It also conveniently makes it easy for me to pull my rear truck and esc off for the drive down to Esk8con so the board fits in my trunk with a couple others. Drilling out the bushings was an interesting process and the supplied tooling worked well as long as you tightened it down all the way. I didn’t and friction melted the plastic to the bushing lol. Even with the melted plastic, I was still able to drill new bushings.

BELT DRIVE

I wanted to try out the new urethane belts from @Tony_Stark so I ordered some 16t pulleys and the belts from him, 60t pulleys from Acedeck, and motor mounts from @IDEA. The belts free roll a lot better than standard belts from what I observed. I was using idlers which played a part but the belts didn’t skip or stretch under braking and I didn’t have to tighten them up after a couple rides like I do with rubber belts. I’d definitely recommend trying the belts if you have problems with belts stretching or getting cut. This setup also got me into the 45mph club and I might switch back to it one day and have a go at the 50mph club.

GEAR DRIVE

I switched to gear drive after about 100 miles on belts thanks to @KaramQ. I have 70+ miles on the M1-AT’s and I really like them. I had to get creative to run the Acedeck rims until I get a set of pentagrams. The power delivery is very smooth and it was all easy to put together. I did have to circumcise my shafts with a rotary roll but that’s the nature of gear drives. I am waiting for the 21t gears so I can get that 45mph top speed back on 7in tires.

TELEMETRY

The Megan got released and I liked the design and form factor more than the Davega and it has Metr built in. The ability to customize the colors and data on the screen are really nice, especially at a quick glance.

REMOTE

I didn’t know if I would like the (single) trigger style remote after only using thumb wheels for my entirety of being in esk8. I found out very quickly on the first ride that I loved this style of remote. I probably won’t be switching remotes any time soon and am gonna order the torch update next month.

•••••••••••••••••

OVERALL EXPERIENCE

The process was really fun and I enjoyed working with all the companies I used to put this build together. Bumping ideas off them and other community members helped make this build possible. Esk8Con is right around the corner and I’m looking forward to connecting with a lot of y’all.

VESC gremlins are the absolute worst but helped me get fairly proficient in the software.

2 Likes

Upgrades to the board as of Esk8con ‘24

• upgraded the trucks to 3links and it was definitely worth it. i’m also running open gears and i’m addicted to the sound now.
• went up in kv to 173kv (from 151) thanks to @Skyart for swapping those with me in vegas.
• grabbed some next racing tires from linnpower with their quick release hubs and man is it nice not having to unscrew hubs to change wheels. came in handy when i switched back to the nova tires because of how dusty the track was. gonna do some more testing of the slicks this summer when it gets hot.
• light strip is set up on the board to be powered through my battery since i have such a large pack. no need to worry about charging it separately and if i want to shut off power so it doesn’t drain the battery, i can do it through the smart bms.

next plans are to relocate my charge ports so i can throw the motor mounts under the deck for better clearance in the rear.
i also want to get a single stack enclosure with some gaskets so i can get a little extra ground clearance and lower my ride height to run the idea baseplates for the 3links.

also kinda realized my binding is mounted backwards while in vegas but it works for me so it’s staying how it is. that just leaves me with an extra binding that i can use for my superspine build that i’ll hopefully have done in a year. gotta buy one of those mach 1’s first tho.

3 Likes

reserved 3

1 Like

reserved 4

Cant wait to see this thing rip around the esk8con track! Great build man!

7 Likes

Gotta love Z-motes!!!

Awesome board dude.
Enjoy!!!

1 Like

Looks like an awesome ride dude!

That Tomiboi deck is stunning, I’m in love with the blue. @tomiboi would you mind sharing how you achieve this color? Is it tinted epoxy… wood stain?
Amazing job on the board @Ash, this is a dream build for many.

4 Likes

That is a water-based stain made by Minwax. The color is called semi-transparent Denim Blue. I like to apply it with a foam roller on Bamboo. Foam rollers are an odd choice for stain application, but bamboo takes stain kind of funny.

4 Likes

Love the build. This board is a step brother (sister?) to my Zelda board

2 Likes

thanks bro, i’m looking forward to hitting the track

2 Likes

it is, i realized we were doing essentially the same board after you dropped your build thread and you having to adjust your trucks to run the gear drives helped a ton with this board.

1 Like

Those newbees sit quite high. Looks like you have plenty of clearance even with the double stack.

1 Like

Sick build dude. Can’t wait to see it at Esk8con!

1 Like

yeah the ground clearance is pretty good. i’ve only hit the gear drives enclosure doing stupid stuff. it’s great cause i won’t have to worry about ground clearance on the brp’s

1 Like

thanks bro, super stoked to be going this year. didn’t even know it existed last year lol

1 Like

Love the entire look!

2 Likes

Went out on the board with James yesterday. I’m actually happy that the board is on the heavy side cause if feels more planted and gives me the confidence to go harder into turns. Made some routes in the park to practice and had some good fun. Gonna try and hit up another park today assuming that the snow has finally melted. Unfortunately, it’s still in the mid-high 30’s so still pretty chilly but not too bad once you start riding.

:framed_picture: Pictures and Nothing Else!:

3 Likes

Couple updates:

•MBS XL hubs arrive this afternoon to run the Linnpower racing slicks.
•have to order the quick release hubs with another set of slicks later for Vegas
•zmote torch update made it to Memphis in record time, should be delivered within a week
•the board is getting an rgb strip that’ll be hardwired wired through the bms through some buck converters
•burned down my SKP 175’s to the point of losing traction in about 200mi (a lot of it was practicing for Vegas) i’m sure they would last a lot longer on normal cruising especially if they were aired up to spec

•subsequently had an overcurrent fault and went down from a speed wobble after a motor cut out… probably didn’t help that my trucks were pretty loose from track racing.
i may have had a minor concussion so i took a day of rest and worked on the board. i’m still pretty sore right now but went riding for 40 miles anyway.

here’s where it faulted

this was the max amps the motors saw on that ride
•ordered a set of the Nova tires from Mboards to test out since my SKP’s have been abused to high hell. if i don’t like em, i’m upgrading to 8in
•lastly, it’s official, Sidewinder is getting a Solo V2 in a month or so.

3 Likes