Show us ya deck press

Just found a good bit of steel at work that should give me nearly everything I need to make a deck press :muscle:

Been contemplating this for a while now but didn’t want to buy materials :joy:

Looking for inspiration, show me some pics of your presses!

17 Likes

you would probably be better off with I beams 200mm wide minimum.

@longhairedboy’s old press was made out of construction lumber if I recall correctly.

5 Likes

Found it

7 Likes

Ma man @257 press for his Komodo MTB decks (sort of MBS Pro 90 clones) from few years back…

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/6214?u=257

13 Likes

Nice!

What was the cloth for?

I’ve often wondered if when making the mold like this, you need to accommodate the thickness of the deck as well? Or is the straight cut through good enough?

6 Likes

Gotta ask him. But my guess …probably to protect the wooden press from the dripping glue… who knows (??)

5 Likes

His ultimate goal is to bring back the extinct MBS Pro 90 from oblivion and reproduce the deck (with subtle changes) for esk8 users who want to order Komodized versions …

…which will look similar to this one :point_down: an original MBS Pro 90 customized by Komodo (@257).

If you ask me… the ultimate result is short of spectacular! The guy is crafty, believe me. The whole project to convert the deck was cut short when MBS stop producing it. So only one deck was ever coverted (the one you see in these images), which forced him to build the press to reproduce Komodized versions of the deck.

13 Likes

@257

I have a deck press built now that can duplicate the pro 90 I just haven’t done much with it yet. If there’s interest I could look into making a few for cheap as a test run

Forum must take note of this… :point_up: Don’t know why these type of projects are always forgotten :roll_eyes: Press is there, why aren’t more people interested? You peeps should jump on this like a Tiger on a Donkey tied to a tree!

8 Likes

The guy doesn’t advertise his services tho.

I really appreciate the work done but I just don’t like this shape.

8 Likes

Personal taste is fine. I on the contrary like the shape :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Is slimmer than Trampa’s

2 Likes

To my knowledge and understanding, which is limited, but I did look a little into it a bit ago, there is no need to compensate for an offset. If anything an offset would be harder to get consistent results with

2 Likes
5 Likes

:joy: that thing is hard core!

3 Likes

No excuses now Ben

4 Likes

8 Likes

Nice one :ok_hand: this is similar to what I originally envisioned, however my plans have changed.

I’ve tried to explain my new concept to a mate before and failed miserably so I won’t try again :joy:
I need to sketch it out to see what you all reckon.

2 Likes

this is the press I’m using now. 5/8" steel plate, all welded, no moving parts. 1000 pounds on urethane castors. I use a pair of 20 ton jacks now, those are just 10 tons in the picture.

I get enough force now to split the veneer on some of the curves if i don’t use a softener.

10 Likes

What is this black magic you speak of??

1 Like

I’ve just started ordering parts for an MPCNC to start cutting my own decks amongst other things. They won’t be pressed though, probably just flat :grimacing:

3 Likes

LHB do you still have that Xcarve or am I imagining shit?

1 Like