Show me your MTB cable managament solutions, center top mounted battery box -> rear mounted ESC enclosure

You have done a decent job of that ! My printer wasn’t big enough to print them in one piece.

1 Like

Mainly preference I think mate. My vescs were already mounted inside a monster box and like them in the middle. Less clutter all in all.
I believe there is an advantage to having the battery to vesc wires as short as possible due to inductance created in the wires (correct me if I’m wrong). Not sure it’s all that applicable as it’s only 30cm or so of extra wire running the vescs at the back.

1 Like

Yup :+1:

A lot depends on the ESC and the battery voltage (in relation to the ESC’s rated max voltage). If the input capacitors were sized well then longer wires might not matter. If they have a bare minimum of capacitance, or not enough at all, then that extra 30cm could mean the difference between surviving and eventually getting fried.

Twisting the battery wires to the ESC together, perhaps one twist per cm but more is good, helps reduce the inductance. if not twisted be sure to run them right next to each other at all times.

3 Likes

WIP :joy: I’m still new to cad and I am having a hell of a time getting a riser to match up with @Tony_Stark x plates the way I want… but practice makes perfect.

3 Likes

Hey mooch! Would you mind elaborating on the concept of twisting battery leads? I’m guessing it has something to do with frequencies balancing each other out. But that’s just a shot in the dark.

3 Likes

There is cancellation of magnetic fields and reduction of the wire’s inductance when twisted but keeping them very close together does a lot too. Twisting also happens to be a good way to keep two conductors as close together as possible.

Here’s a little about it: How Cable Twisting Improves EMI – EMI Analyst

6 Likes

Keeping close together the magnetic fields want to push the cables apart twisting them is a easy way to keep them together consistently

Ideally you want the cables in the same place to cancel out the magnetic field this is not pratical. As close as possible is the best you can do with out brackish the laws of phisicks . By twisting them you you vary the side that has the slightly larger magnetic field. Same lines as it’s Easier to push a object than to pull it’s the same for magnetic fields. You also need to consider keeping cable lengths the same length it’s easer to gage this with twisted cables than separate

2 Likes

Give it up for Mooch! Single handedly making sure we are learned in safety and fun facts. Thanks man! I’m pretty sure I learn a new thing daily from you.

2 Likes

I will try to incorporate this into my next battery for sure.

1 Like

It’s more of a case of been aware doing what you can with in reason. with the amps and voltage that we use in esk8 it’s not that noticeable. VESC 6 take longer battry leads a lot better than old VESC 4 hardware did and the need for extra capacitors to deal with the voltage spikes is barley needed any more.

1 Like

Working on a top mount enclosure, 3d printed+aluminium

4 Likes

Can’t tell the scale, but is this for ESC and stuff only or battery?

3 Likes

Battery and esc on top

2 Likes

What do you guys think of this?

I’m printing the top section where the esc will be, those smaller plates at the top are 2 pieces of 3mm drilled for the DV6 mounting holes, to act as heatsink

3 Likes

Looks like a very interesting enclosure. What’s going on inside?

2 Likes

Looks kinda like a building :face_with_raised_eyebrow::+1:

1 Like

Like a data center

We do it like this

6 Likes

You mean you buy them like this :rofl:

Jokes aside, I enjoy experimenting and trying things out, I have a hard case on my shelves, but well done for the choice of enclosure for your boards :+1:

At the moment I’m renting out to a Irs scammers operation :rofl: