Show Me Your Heat-Sink'd Enclosures

7 Likes

14 Likes

That’s different :joy::+1:t2::call_me_hand:t2:

1 Like

Everybody make room….

3 Likes

How do you guys usually cut out the space for your heatsink? Currently planning to just Dremel it, that’s really the only tool I have that can do the job.

What kind of cutting disc is best for a Kydex enclosure? I want it to look as clean as possible… any tips are appreciated :pray:

1 Like

Draw out your hole but then cut it several mm or an entire cm too small. I use just the dremel metal cutting disks which work well on abs and fiberglass+epoxy. Just it melts the edges a bit on the abs.

Then get some smaller precision files and ONLY use those the increase the hole size. Constantly check with the heatsink and VESC attached to see if it’ll fit. File down more as needed until it barely fits in. I want to say I had 4 mm or so left to remove when I switched only to the files. Before that I did use a grinding stone to remove smaller amounts at once.

You could risk cutting the hole bigger with the cutting disk but I’ve found that the uneven edges left over usually make it to where you have to make the hole too big if you want it to be a clean cut.

This hole is so tight of a fit that it can hold the focbox and the three separate heat sink plates it has on it up without me bolting it in.

4 Likes

Aaaaaaah phillips whyyyyy

5 Likes
What brings less joy?
  • Phillips head usage
  • Countersunk/flat head in a socket hole

0 voters

1 Like

Sometimes it has to be done :weary:

Everyone’s focused on the stainless phillips heads, but you did a really good job getting that heatsink mounted absolutely perfectly. Looks pro!

7 Likes

SKP heatsink on my Stormcore, Tomiboi DS enclosure. Took it slow with a Dremel and plastic bit.

9 Likes

Good positive attitude to combat the piled on Phillips hate.

You’re good people

1 Like

In my defense, they were countersunk head bolts originally, but I removed the extra material making them a flat head. :person_shrugging:

Also there is no difference between socket holes and flat head holes.

Thank you. I feel like everyone is ignoring all my beautifully done work just because they saw a phillips head :sob:

I bought the enclosure and it had a hole that was not a rectangle, and it had large gaps on basically every side of the heat sink WHILE the heat sink was installed with the entirety of it outside the enclosure. So I had to fiber glass and epoxy the hole smaller and then take away enough material for a perfect fit.

I didn’t think to take a photo before removing the heat sink from it to fix it, but I did take this photo before pouring epoxy. (Yes, it leaked some because I didn’t add hot glue to the outside edges)

I bought it knowing it would need work and got it for a good deal. Hence why I didn’t think to take any photos of the before. Just got straight to working on it

3 Likes

Countersunk flat heads have a tapered bottom.
Socket heads have a flat bottom.

Take it less seriously, we hate Phillips regardless of user.

4 Likes

This was my reaction too

3 Likes

Noooo I meant that a flat head bolt is the same as a socket head bolt when it comes to the holes. Not the countersunk heads.

I was calling any bolt where the bottom of the head is flat as a flat head because names are hard and I just describe things instead. I know the difference between a triangle and rectangle.

Sometimes you gotta work with what you have. :person_shrugging: I only had counter sunk bolts that would fit and a dremel with a metal cutting disk. I’m getting the OG hardware sent to me though thanks to everyone noticing it and will switch to it in the future when I have it.

1 Like

2 Likes

How do people usually secure their heatsink’d ESC to the hole in the enclosure? JB weld or something? The InfinitySink I have doesn’t seem to make it very easy

1 Like

I used a silicon mastic sealant to glue in on the infinity sinks I used.

1 Like