Should I cut the tail off my Big Ben enclosure?

So just checking to see what opinions are.

My hummie build is slowly but surely coming together I’ve been building the seal for the enclosure and now I’m just test fitting it on the board. With the battery inside and the enclosure slid as far forward as possible there’s still a little bit of tail that overhangs the drop through area.

My concern is that if there was any water or moisture or whatever that were to go over the board it would drip straight down and that extra tail bit would catch that moisture and take it into the case. I think I have about a half an inch max that I could shave off to make it nice and flush with where the drop through ends.

2 Likes

Are you mounting your trucks to the bottom of the deck or are you mounting drop through

I cuft mine off with a dremel / metal saw.
makes sure to wear a mask. Fiberglass is no bueno for the lungs

4 Likes

Drop thru with a special angled riser plate I have a friend fabbing me.

Yeah dremel or my angle grinder with either a sanding pad or cut off… Probably grinder for fastest results =P

You could try cutting slowly with a hacksaw. It’ll produce less airborne dust.

5 Likes

No way! Fiberglass dust is my fav!

3 Likes

I believe the phrase for this is ‘docking’ and evokes a lot of passion.

Just don’t let PETA find out about your plans.

1 Like

It took me far too many passes over your post to realize you were speaking about tail docking and not sexual docking. Both of which evoke much passion.

This is a window into my mind.

6 Likes

These blades in an oscillating tool are also an excellent way to cut fibreglass. Very good for minimising the airborne dust. Oscillating tools are generally very loud and it’s certainly not as fast as a grinder or dremel, but the dust reduction is worth it.

Edit: it’s a diamond coated grout removal blade :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

What do you think, oscillating multitool vs bandsaw (portaband)?

1 Like

I cut the end of mine off with a hacksaw. Taped around it to minimize fiber tear out. Light sanding after. Didn’t take long. Worked great.

5 Likes

Never used one, but I assume that with a fine tooth band it would work great :+1:

1 Like

Yep, a band saw works well.

1 Like

nice n clean looking!

1 Like