💩 Shitty DIY and nothing else!

Just spotted this one

6 Likes

That’s a fire hazard if I ever seen one.

1 Like

And the worst sin of all, they used T plugs

2 Likes

IDK, aren’t Deans connectors rated to 60A/75A? That’s roughly in line with an XT60 isn’t it?

3 Likes

Lol no. Deans connectors take less current, and wear out more easily.

4 Likes

In my experience with RC, XT60s are substantially less prone to all kinds of failure.

This has a pretty good empirical current test between deans/T connectors and XT60s

3 Likes

beat me!

Lol as soon as I saw it I knew it had to go here

1 Like

The comments on that thread are unreal.

All this because apparently his bms broke and the company doesn’t want to fix it. Now he’s using 2 chargers for it, of course runs the lipos without BMS.

It looks like the the battery setup is running 74v on the esc. Aint that going to mess up the esc?

According to the OP “it’s fine”

If someone needs to yell/scream at you to sell something, you probably don’t want/need it. Thankfully Billy Mays made it very easy to say no / change the channel.

1 Like

Deans are shit for 30A+, but this appears to be two strings of 2S packs in series, so 10S2P, so maybe he can safely pull 60A with a better harness, which is about the max this pair of hub motors could possibly draw. Aside from insulating all of the exposed contacts, deploying a BMS for 10S charging/balancing, and covering everything this setup could work safely if he paralleled the 2 strings w/ 4 wires instead of 2 into the XT60.

1 Like

I was fascinated by coroplast boats, notice that some DO have seams that need to be sealed, but generally the game is to fold strategically so that you don’t leave so many seams. You may succeed with a single sheet, but with more folds, fewer cuts. Many of the designs I considered building folded the excess material inward at the bow & stern, clamped the stacked layers together instead of cutting & re-joining. I get that you were trying to make the bottom and sides more rigid with that inner structure, but that won’t help nearly as much as a curved surface bowed outward, which naturally provides a stronger gunwale or bottom. I’ll also add that most plastic coolers are filled with styrofoam, probably float pretty well on their own. A pair of outriggers to prevent it from capsizing might be all you need for lunch & brews on the float.

1 Like

7 Likes

Are those gears from a boardnamics geardrive?

why didn’t you go with the SRB gears? I’m guessing because you wanted the urethane wheel compatibility?

1 Like

Those motor bearings will die very quickly lol

3 Likes

I didn’t get a chance to get a pic but yesterday I saw a board that had a single motor ram through a locked differential. They also used these to connect the vesc to the motor.

I’ll try and get a pic later today

3 Likes