Ship Of Theseus - How has your board evolved?

Dude yes, i totally forgot!

E: i am still using the original Tubes i bought in 2019. Not a single flat or puncture!

1 Like

I like this thread, now I know I’m not alone. I’ll have to search for some old pics but my boards have definitely had some changes and even total overhauls onto new platforms. Usually the battery :battery: s the one piece I don’t consider changing unless it got fukked somehow. My two main boards have been going in one form or another for like 6 years

2 Likes

First boards, leiftech and a free liftboard I won on reddit

First DIY, Torqueboards 12s4p with single 6355 motor on a Poke deck that didn’t work well.

When I changed the Poke to a Bustin Maestro deck

Wheel updates

The “craigslist board” I bought off a guy online, single torqueboards hub motor on an original enertion space cell enclosure, 10s3p on 25r’s with a nano remote. Purple board is just a pusher.

Updated Maestro with dual motors and new grip, also new thermoglass maestro deck since the bamboo snapped.

More dual motor update shots, Vegas esk8 squad 2017

Updating to the first beta direct drives from TB

An attempt to do it on an evo 36 but was unhappy and switched back to maestro later.

Back to normal, Rick and Boardy

New addition to the family, an old psychotiller I picked up fairly unused for $500. I call her Frieda Carvo.

Long time DIY build, Red Ember, 12s8p 40t battery with eboosted enclosure, originally running V6 torqueboards trucks in red with torqueboard 6 inch tires, vesc6.

Recent update to Savage trucks and some old six shooters on some nice pulleys also by savage

5 Likes

Oh god, this one is gonna be interesting, and make me look stupid. It’s a long shot from my first boards (Ride1up hub motor board, and a handful of boosted boards).

I bought an Ownboard zeus pro after my eovan GTS carbon pro’s charging port caught on fire and blew the BMS. Yes, that recently released board that’s only been out for a couple months at this point. Preordered it on release day. I really didn’t need much encouragement lol.

Rode it for a few weeks while i waited for my classes to finish, then the instant summer started, i tore it down and got to work.

Immediately ordered a spintend 75V VESC to drop in, preordered Radium 6485 motors, and BN270 hangers with adjustable baseplates because the stock split angle TKP’s are kinda meh to me. Stable, sure, but nowhere near carvy enough at low-mid speeds.

Managed to get the BN270’s installed and working, but oh, guess what - Can’t use the stock motors since they need repinning and i’m lazy, plus they have worse pulleys. Ordered a set of flipsky 6384 motors to use in the meantime while i wait for my radium preorder.

After that, i got around to modifying the spintend VESC. Decided that i’d use all my knowledge working with custom gaming PC builds and replace the stock thermal pads with some nice ones. Tore down the unit and replaced the stock pads.

Next came installing the spintend VESC, but guess what - zeus pro enclosure doesn’t fit it without heavy modification. There’s also not enough room for the spintend power button, because it’s longer than the stock one. Got lazy, decided not to go through with my plan for cutting the deck, dropping the VESC down and making a new mounting plate. Now i need a new deck and enclosure!

Ordered a boundmotor octopus deck and enclosure. Great, now everything fits. Had to modify the front wire routing panel to fit the spintend power button, and make a custom JST 3 pin extension cable to connect the power button from the front all the way to the VESC in the rear, same with the charging port.

So in the end, what do I have? Well, it’s a mishmash of a bunch of different parts and is now an entirely different board from what i was originally planning on having, but hey, i wanted to eventually build in this deck and shove a 16S6P in it, so i’m a bit closer to that goal atleast. Part list below (and better pics eventually, when i finish).

Boundmotor Octopus Deck, enclosure.
BN 270 hangers, 10-8 stepped axles. I need to get another set of the BN270’s with 10mm straight axles for my pneumatics.
BN adjustable baseplates.
BN Precision XL motor mounts.
BN M1AT gear drives (still need to try these out, but i’m lazy).
Spintend Ubox V2 75V.
Ownboard Zeus Pro 13S4P P42A battery. Too lazy to upgrade to a 16S6P, and also too broke.
Newbee Esk8 footstop x2. Because i dont like being thrown off my board, but i also dont like being thrown with my board.
Shredlights SL1000 x2, SLR1 x2. I also have a handful of SL300’s, but for now this is enough.
Random assortment of custom lasercut aluminum truck risers. Thanks sendcutsend, i spent 50 bucks for a sour patch kids and they sent me some free lasercut stuff!
Backfire Hammer spoiler. Gotta have downforce, or something right? Jokes aside, it works as a carry handle and i’m planning on putting a third brake light on there actually connected to the VESC.
A veritable assortment of many different wheels, not even accounting for all my different pneumatics.
A bunch of incredibly overkill, way too expensive titanium hardware. Yes, almost every nut and bolt on this board is either titanium or stainless steel. I even bought titanium bushing cups.
Zealous ceramic bearings. Woo, fancy bearings that don’t cost 30 bucks apiece, but rather 30 bucks for a set.

3 Likes

Wat dis

4 Likes

looks like a PCB fuse? the hell

2 Likes

This, it’s for “protection your vesc” so sacrifice the rider to save the electronics type thing

2 Likes

Parallel fuses give me heeby jeebies

2 Likes

Yeah samezies

Its an inline fuse between battery and VESC. Ill likely remove it, just had it in for the initial boot incase something decided to try and pop.

I would take that out, I third that. Even if you wanted a fuse there, I also don’t like parallel fuses.

BoB has been through many changes but the core remains the same.
Original build in 220 BN / M1 straight cuts and tb110s done just in time for Halloween ride last year

Tb130s for a lil bit till delammed

Bn 270s and bergs

Swapped to 3link up front

Swapped to SavageTKP👌

Bent axel from 37mph into a curb

Added a 12s4p parallel pack and swapped back to 3link till I get an axel for my tkp
Added a riptide footstop at some point :ok_hand:, really underrated

I have 1700mi on this board since its birth. Really has given me very minimal problems. Did 50mi last night romping down to/in/back from the city last night. Stoked to not have to drive to most rides.
Dual 8a charging is money, range anxiety is ALMOST gone.
Im quite happy how it sits RN and need to get going on my next build that is a pile of parts ATM

2 Likes

@whaddys Trollsnot needs to get in here, but also needs a build/life of thread of your mythological beast

3 Likes

My son & I built this board together with him doing most of the work lol… the build is compiled of old parts I had laying around using a old double stacked 12s4p TB pack 2x OG focbox & some old mounts with a 6355s set up on a no name 40+inch deck. We named it “the junkyard bulldog”. So I finally decided to give it a bit of a face lift. Mainly only changing the battery to a 12s4p p42a & switching out the deck….

3 Likes

from first prototypes to where i am now it took me 8 years + of working with composites
different layups , testing , different materials , testing again and again multiple times
with that making molds , destroying decks to find how strong they are (and they can withstand everything) to go weaker but in the sime lightweight to reach 2kg with 100x27cm decks and working on even better ones with under 2kg weight , better pop and specyfic torsionall stiffness to make it handle better as an e-mtb on the road and off road without worrying about wooble etc

it was quite a journey but now the last thing is to finish my latest deck before i will make better one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

in the same time lightweight "

1 Like

No I didn’t🤣

Yeah you diiiid. At the ECS bbq you rode my board around so much I didn’t have enough battery to get home. Then I didn’t recharge it and left the loop key in and it ded ded

v1
I was broke at the time, mainly wanting to upgrade my wowgo 2S prebuilt with a big 12S battery, and a nice deck. Because I didn’t have the money for a nice VESC, just gone for cheap focers on that front to have something that supports 12S. The build really didn’t work out this time. At most a single km of use

v2
Then I upgraded the ESC to a DV6 and swapped to a single drive belt setup. Also (imo) downgraded the deck to an Earthwing Supermodel from the LY Switchblade… But I had to do that in order to avoid using my shitty DIY fibreglass enclosure. In this state I’ve done roughly 180km. The board was working fine, however the battery wasn’t secured adequately and on some bumps I could feel and hear it moving. It was time for another upgrade anyways… So I tore the board down.

v3

Huge upgrade, nice trucks, dual drive. New shitty looking ESC box. Even took the board to a race in this state. Survived about 120km. The dickyho mounts didn’t want to hold their set position…

v3.1 - So then came v3.1, just swapped the mounts to long IDEA mounts with idlers.

Upcoming v3.2 - Changing the wheels to Cags or Akashas with a printed pulley as I have serious range anxiety. — for special occasions, like track racing, I will still use these onsra airless rubbers though.

Upcoming v4 - I plan to get a Davega X and reduce the size of the bulky rear ESC enclosure to something much more manageable.

2 Likes

Well, it started out as a free ad on Reddit

Somebody had built this DIY for a YouTube video and decided to give it away, shortly after I also found a used MBS complete for cheap with bindings I merged them together with a few other random things

That made it slightly better but it certainly wasn’t pretty
Then came the idea enclosure, apex deck, and custom battery which really got everything to come together

Eventually I put some stickers on it, changed the hubs, put the bindings back on and grabbed a Z mote but it’s primarily stayed the same since

Also unintentional bump but I’m not complaining because this thread is pretty sick

3 Likes