[Serious] How To Solder | Soldering Guide | The Complete Tutorial From A>Z

I try

Honestly though the respect you have earns on the forum at your age is amazing

4 Likes

My socks were blown away.

6 Likes

All i am is someone very passionate about all this diy esk8ing.
I have found a community that i never would have thought existed that i absolutey love. I just thought that reddit was the best it could get, and soo wrong was I.
I have spent so many hours reading, putting more important things i should have been doing aside in order to learn. I love learning.
It was very hard to find lots of this information so i do my best to share what i have learnt and make it easier.
There are plenty more threads i want to create to help the whole community (- Mike beard and a few others :smirk:)
and with all of this mind you, i still have not built my first board.
In fact i’m boardless right now.
In fact i owe Evolve a huge thank you because it is their fault i came here; they boards suck ass and failed me and cost me money and… anyway fuck em in the end…

Thank you all! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
And Merry Christmas :heart: :christmas_tree::confetti_ball: :tada:

9 Likes

Dude what? I thought you were older than almost 20 :smiley: Because of how mature you do your things and also the profile pic of Werner :smiley:

4 Likes

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

3 Likes
4 Likes

derail, derail, derail a threeeeead. Oh what fun, it is to, deraaail a threead, oh!
jingle bells, jongle bells,
andrew’s balls…

3 Likes

Great write up. I’ve been soldering for almost 30 years and am pretty much an expert at mediocre soldering now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: There’s always more to learn and so many useful tips and methods out there. Shame that the original how-to thread was removed to appease one of our most childesh ex-members, but one great thing he posted were these Pace videos. They’re super vintage, which is kinda fun, but still very relevant and very informative about not just basic soldering techniques, but also understanding how solder works and behaves, and basics of how PCBs are constructed.

8 Likes

That was probably me. Those videos are awesome awesome, beats just about all other youtube “how to solder” videos. Sooo many hours of pro instructionals for free on youtube.

3 Likes

Same… 2 months to go :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ll also start building packs :grin:
Derail incoming…

2 Likes

Yes, I started with this as well!
They are a must to watch. I just did not add it as I was trying to make a topic with just my explanations and videos so I could create it the way I wanted.
Not everyone (especially some noobs that just want to learn quickly…kids these days :wink:) unfortunately, wants to watch 20min of how to solder hence my quick 20sec videos.

I will add this to my topic! Cheers! :tada:

Soooo true. The new ones are crap. They are all defensive like
‘‘well this might not be the best method, but this is what I do. remember there might be better methods ni nana na nini…’’
So annoying arghh…

2 Likes

Alright I did a big update to my orignial post, reformated it and added some missing info.
What do you think? What have i missed? :wink:
Cheers to you all :innocent:

1 Like

Healthier for yourself because you can’t “poison” yourself with lead but more toxic for your lungs.

While soldering, the fumes are mostly from flux, isopropyl alcohol or nearly invisible flux residues.

“Lead-free” is not safer for *you , the person doing the soldering. It is safer for the land-fills and therefore the ground water and overall pollution of heavy metals in our environment, after the consumers trash their electronics in our throw-away society.

You would not want to breathe in vapors from leaded or unleaded solders, or fumes from anything burning, if you could help it.

I suggest to anyone who solder, to work in a ventilated room or to buy an exhaust system

4 Likes

This is a good recommendation but it has actually nothing to do with leaded/unleaded. The lead won’t vaporize and you can’t breath it. The fumes are from the flux. You’ll want to use a fan and/or keep your windows open regardless of whether you’re working with leaded or unleaded.

The main precaution to take when working with leaded solder is to wash your hands thoroughly after finishing work, since the lead is indeed toxic.

5 Likes

If I have one of those masks for painting and spray painting

Then will that work out

I think it does help. From what I have gathered, the fumes are actually not that much to worry about unless you do a LOT of soldering. Personally, for small soldering jobs I just keep the window open and hold my breath at the critical moments. When doing more soldering, I turn my little fan on.

Careful with the fan though. You don’t want it blowing directly on whatever you’re trying to solder since it takes a lot of heat away. It can make a huge difference. I learned that the hard way.

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback.
I was unaware that that the fumes was only the flux evaporating.
That also reminds me i must add that washing your hands is a must after touching lead…
I will fix that when i get back home.
Thank you @pjotr47 @janpom

2 Likes

I don’t quite agree with this. The whole point of using the no-clean flux is that you don’t have to clean it. :slight_smile: It is often still cleaned but that’s mainly for aesthetics.

My experience with Isopropyl Alcohol is that the PCB then gets kinda sticky and stained. Even when cleaning with distilled water afterwards. So I don’t feel like it really helps with aesthetics. I don’t like that. So I don’t clean my PCBs. I just use no-clean solder and wipe the PCB with a dry microfiber cloth when finished to get rid of the tiny solder balls.

It should also be noted that the cleaning is only relevant to PCB soldering while most people will only ever solder wires and connectors where there’s no need to worry about cleaning.

5 Likes

Just finished reading. Very nice write up. :+1: Thanks for taking the time to do it.

May I suggest that you add a solder wick to the list of accessories. It’s cheap and handy to have around.

2 Likes